Is the series spreading itself too thin?

• Thread starter MIE1992
  • 70 comments
Driving dirt tracks in GT2 on PSX feels better than Dirt Rally.
Blah Blah Blah Pokemon (Pokemon???) Blah Blah.

You know, if you're not going to contribute to the discussion nor seriously challenge my points, you're free to post in a different thread. You're wasting your time, if you ask me, and you'd be better-suited to avoid bumping this thread with your replies, in spite of your apparent disinterest in discourse.

And I'd say Pokemon has a lot in common with GT. Both IPs have the main focus of collecting a wide variety of assets, whether it's the eponymous Pokemon, or various vehicles in GT's case - and this is just one example of where I see overlap. They also both have multiple international subsidiaries. Pokemon has branches of The Pokemon Company, with the int'l HQ being in Bellevue, WA, which is very close to the NoA HQ in Seattle. Meanwhile, PD and Gran Turismo seem to have at least one subsidiary in the LA area in SoCal. Both PD and GameFreak have long-lasting relationships with their respective publishers, (over 20 years for both) as well as the consoles that are made by said publishers, insofar that a new entry in either series is usually a system-seller; this is acknowledged by both the marketing teams of the respective console-makers, and the consumer side of things when they anticipate the release of a new system and what it will do for that respective IP.

Last edited:
I’ve been following the series since gt1.
Honestly, I find that gt sport is the best game yet. And focused.

1) physics/presentation/sound are the best yet in my opinion
2) support is outstanding
3) it manages to stay relevant and updated. In an online era it made that next step quite smoothly mostly because of its simplicity. You only need a car and practice and you can jump right in.
4) It is the hardest GT yet because you fight against other people. Podium feels like winning! Even fighting in the last places is hard and every race is an adventure.

Bonus: As PD already said GT7 will include both worlds in a way. The Best of online and the best of single player. I am not worried. I don’t know about you... but I am not. PS5 and GT7 is my “next go to” racing place.

Sorry for the long post

Not at all

I'd argue that this has been the best Gran Turismo I've ever played (I started with GT as a kid on GT 3 A-Spec).

Sure there's parts that could be a lot better, and I miss the car RPG side of things, especially the awesome second hand dealer where you'd be able to find some real rare gems only in there.

But in reality, most Gran Turismo games I've ever played start collecting dust after I've golded all the licenses, beaten all the events and generally got a point where there's nothing making me get on the game.

GT Sport is different, the competitive aspect of Sport Mode is great, every week it gives me a reason to at least log on to the game and see whats going on.

And it's only since getting well into A/S DR/SR that I've started doing more and more FIA events

The FIA championships imo are the best part of this game, I'm always looking forward to it the only thing I wish they'd do is make it a "best result is what counts" instead of last result.

You know, if you're not going to contribute to the discussion nor seriously challenge my points, you're free to post in a different thread. You're wasting your time, if you ask me, and you'd be better-suited to avoid bumping this thread with your replies, in spite of your apparent disinterest in discourse.

And I'd say Pokemon has a lot in common with GT. Both IPs have the main focus of collecting a wide variety of assets, whether it's the eponymous Pokemon, or various vehicles in GT's case - and this is just one example of where I see overlap. They also both have multiple international subsidiaries. Pokemon has branches of The Pokemon Company, with the int'l HQ being in Bellevue, WA, which is very close to the NoA HQ in Seattle. Meanwhile, PD and Gran Turismo seem to have at least one subsidiary in the LA area in SoCal. Both PD and GameFreak have long-lasting relationships with their respective publishers, (over 20 years for both) as well as the consoles that are made by said publishers, insofar that a new entry in either series is usually a system-seller; this is acknowledged by both the marketing teams of the respective console-makers, and the consumer side of things when they anticipate the release of a new system and what it will do for that respective IP.
There is no discussion. You're just hoping someone will notice your writing skills, but you got nothing to say.

They need to rethink the categorisation of road cars. Group X is a joke, and the N classes currently only have 1 or 2 cars per class that would compete for wins in sport mode.

An example of this would be similar to what they've started doing with Race A with the 90s JDM cars, except less half arsed.

Eventually, like any other IP, Gran Turismo will die.

Motorsports popularity is falling off a cliff. Formula 1 is insular backpatting among super-wealthy. Cars are self driving, EV utilitarian mason jars. In fact, everything is electric, including supercars. Sports cars are badge engineered because nobody buys them. Formula E is a failed attempt at Mario Kart for Zoomer generation - the kids least interested in personal vehicle ownership since ... ever.

It’s all going out with the Dodo, and there’s nothing anyone can do to stop it. I’m just glad I was there for the ride.

Motorsports popularity is falling off a cliff. Formula 1 is insular backpatting among super-wealthy. Cars are self driving, EV utilitarian mason jars. In fact, everything is electric, including supercars. Sports cars are badge engineered because nobody buys them. Formula E is a failed attempt at Mario Kart for Zoomer generation - the kids least interested in personal vehicle ownership since ... ever.

It’s all going out with the Dodo, and there’s nothing anyone can do to stop it. I’m just glad I was there for the ride.
Same people also said the F1 is in sharp decline when Schumacher always wins. Yet....

Last edited:
Same people also said the F1 is in sharp decline when Schumacher always wins. Yet....

Yet... that’s literally when the sharp decline started

564DCFED-543B-44B3-894D-9E9A513C81A6.jpeg

How is this related to GT's popularity amongst players?

Did you see my original post? I’m conceding with the OP that GT will be a dead franchise someday, and the precipitous decline in car culture & motorsports interest will be the reason.

The fact that the premier racing league (F1) has had 50% viewership attrition in the last 10 years means it’s happening hard and fast.

The graph I posted was simply my retort to someone challenging my logic.

Sports cars are badge engineered because nobody buys them.

Couldn’t you say that about a lot of things, though? And what’s wrong with losing the ICE? Electric and hydrogen FC engines sound like fun. Also, is F1 losing viewers really emblematic of a broader loss of interest in motorsport, or is it something more particular to F1? I did hear that Formula E really is getting popular, and that there are some legit gripes to be had with F1... I think if that new hypercar class that the WEC is introducing doesn’t spark interest, then I’d say then that you may have a more solid point by then.

Also, I do want to apologize to everyone for venting throughout this thread. I think PD should follow-up a bit on the prior efforts to reach out to the community, (e.g. the GTP Q&A and the Pit-Stop blog & YouTube channel) but I think I got a bit too emotional and vitriolic. I “tilted,” as some would say, and I’d also say that this emotional volitality was due to stuff in my personal life and not simply getting hot & bothered over videogames.

Last edited:
Back