Is the software holding back a high end PC

• Thread starter ctdc67
  • 3 comments
Problem with PC is that devs target console and then port it to PC. So PC hardware are barely been utilized by devs and some games have bad optimization as well. To run a game at max you will definitely need a decent gpu for sure. Console has something called low level API so programmer can make even lower spec hardware in console to perform really well and optimize it. So yeah, mostly I think it is the software. Nvidia and AMD will always continue to sell new hardware every year. Nvidia has a gfx card for more than 1000$ as well. lol

Last edited:
Do you need a high end PC to run a game like COD at the max? What is ahead the PC or the software?
Actually no, the new COD: MW runs well on older cards.

That said, most new AAA games need a powerful or semi-powerful gfx card.
Problem with PC is that devs target console and then port it to PC. So PC hardware are barely been utilized by devs and some games have bad optimization as well.
For most multi platform games I'd say that's true yes. Hopefully that will change with the next console generation, as they will probably be on par with high-end PCs when they arrive.

The hardware is way ahead. Look at it this way; Intel CPUs haven't had any truly significant changes in over a decade now, at the root of it all the core architecture is the same as in the first generation of Core CPUs, I don't know much about AMD but their latest stuff is doing insanely well, possibly for this reason. Meanwhile, consoles are using slightly modified AMD mobile processors and getting insanely good performance out of them.

In other words, in terms of hardware, the PC side of things is pretty sedate and consoles do a lot with not much. That points to the software being the bottleneck, otherwise we'd see rapid development in PC hardware.

The diminishing returns and difficulty of die shrinks don't help, of course, but we've only recently seen >quad core CPUs in Intel consumer CPUs when their Xeon range has had hex, octo or more core options for at least a decade. Had there been a use for more cores earlier on we would've had the opportunity to buy them, but the software to leverage them was lagging way behind.

Back