Is there a Physics difference between Quali/Practice and Race?

• Thread starter NoTC
  • 15 comments
Is there a Physics difference between Quali/Practice and Race? I know it is 99.999% just me being a crap driver/Racer, but I honestly feel I have to relearn my breaking points, grip levels and weight of car every time the actual race begins. I can no longer rely on the braking distances and points I had gotten used to in practice/Quali. Anybody at all ever experience this?

hey mate.. i drove today the manufactor race and i felt way much more understeer in quali than in practice..i was around half a second slower... but that can also be because the pressure is higher than driving solo...
Yeah you could be right about the pressure. But man my soul is destroyed with what just happened to me in the manufacturers race. 2nd to 18th and the car felt all over the place... :(

My lap times have been consistent, but I have felt a change between practice, then qualy, then the race, I think it's to do with tyre temps to be honest. Not sure, could be in my head :D

Skipped the warm up lap recently and the tires felt cold. Maybe it's just in my head though.

Not sure if the physics factor in fuel loads either, maybe that's why they feel different compared to qualy.

My lap times have been consistent, but I have felt a change between practice, then qualy, then the race, I think it's to do with tyre temps to be honest. Not sure, could be in my head :D

i mean i drove the dragon trail lap in 1:47,3 direct before the race, but i lost in the first corner all the time because of understeer and i also lifted in the dead shicane so.. i think that will be the diffrent to my hotlap before the race :P

but afterall ... no grid disconnect today..that makes me happy :P

The daily races, certainly race 3, have tire/fuel wear. So lap times are slower. The FiA Test season races, there is no tire/fuel burn. I cannot tell any difference between online/offline, my braking points remain the same, same apex speed achievable. I don't believe there is any change to the physics.

I can confirm that Physics changes when in an online race. The same thing was one the GT6 to. Why it is, I do not know??
Physics do change with online mode ever since GT5. One of the main things I'm aware is that you can't roll your car on it's roof. Interestingly I remember seeing some GTP members managing to roll several carz on Willow Spring circuit in GT6 via a glitch before but I forgot which video was it.

Just done the nations race on dragons trail. All through practice the m6 handled fine and I could get low 1.42's and the odd 1.41. Come qualification it seemed fine, only got 1.43 but I did not push as wanted a solid lap in...the two or three laps I pushed I crashed on one and caught traffic on others. Race however was another story...car felt so heavy, could not get it to turn and felt really unresponsive and I crashed out just after the first flat out corner. In practice/qualification I would be flat out but same line car just would not respond to either braking or steering adjustment like it would earlier. Chalked it down to me being crap but had same issue every lap and the high speed chicane towards end of lap car just felt clumsy under braking. Definetaly something changes in between, not every race but on some.

There will be changes due to slipstream, loss of downforce etc in the race. But I think a lot of what we feel is just down to input lag when online. Very very slight, but enough to make a difference.

I can confirm that Physics changes when in an online race. The same thing was one the GT6 to. Why it is, I do not know??
THIS! TL;DR warning. I was about to make a thread on the topic :lol: can't believe search turned a result!

This was something that was very apparent in GT6 online racing. I'm definitely feeling it again in GT Sport. I felt it in the closed beta and made some comments, the dev team was like "eh not sure."

I'm speculating here of course, but I believe it has to do with other cars being present on track vs. when they are not, and especially multiple cars being in proximity to one-another on track. I call it a lag. More local congestion = more lag. So it's most prominent in the first lap, when congestion is highest and you are least used to it.

In GT6, it was all the same story. In practice prior to race start, I'd be braking at certain points, car behaving one way, achieving certain times. In the race, I'd have to dial everything back 10% or more, at least for the first lap until the pack thinned out and I put some distance on people. Obvious first comment on the theory is "drafting," but this absolutely happened when I would be on pole in P1 going into T1. I have vivid memory of leading a race at Nurb GP from the start, having trouble putting a gap on P2 and by T7 asking "how much longer until this lag starts to ease up?" The car was just sloshing around like a whale.

It might have to do with network latency, but other games (for me, Assetto Corsa) don't seem to have the issue. My ping is always low, usually 40-50ms. It could still be lag related - where other racers' higher latency takes a toll on everyone somehow? It could be hardware-based lag, who knows? Again, totally speculating but I suspect it's a part of the core game functionality and probably not solvable. All I can say for sure is that something is there, and it manifests as a general feeling of the car being a lot heavier and less grippy when among traffic.

This has cost me the lead twice in GT Sport - overcooking T1 and squandering pole position - even though I KNEW it could happen and went in extra careful. I'm used to cold tires into T1 from Assetto Corsa, so I know how to handle that - this is totally different.

It might also have earned me a win, when in one race I accidentally bombed into T1 way deeper than I ever normally would and went from 4th to 2nd. Took first by T4 and never looked back. Fortunately I didn't make contact or otherwise look like I was being a bad driver
:lol:

I wonder if it is not PD physics simulating tires not to optimal racing/grip temps and a mixture of the dirty air of all the cars around in a first corner scenario for sure.
How many times have you seen on the warm up lap people overcooking corners and sliding off the track? I usually run about 1/2 lap on the warm up lap at about 75% pace and then the tires seem to be "warm" enough to take full speed okay, try full speed on the first few corners and you will be one of the looking stupid ones crashing on the warm up lap.

Same at race beginning not as bad as the warm up but a little extra caution on the first few corners to assure full grip with no surprises. I have also felt what seemed to be a car taking air off of the spoiler entering a corner and making the car feel loose as well.

Not sure how it is now after the update though.

@VFOURMAX1 I get what you're saying 100%, but don't think that's the case. I've felt these effects throughout the first lap in races where I started on pole and never given up the lead, so dirty air isn't a part of it.

It could be temperature, and I'm not giving PD enough credit. I have a feeling the tires are basically at optimal working condition at the start of a race - at least rolling start. And if this is purely tire temperature related... they're not doing it right at all. :lol: I'd say the same if it were related to tire wear on/off, and that wouldn't explain all the issues in GT6, which were present with tire wear off.

Back