Is there a problem with rolling starts?

• Thread starter Canadaguy
  • 23 comments
Canada
Canada
Is there a problem with rolling starts? I’ve not read anything about this so it may have been a glitch but yesterday during the daily race at Suzuka East I encountered a problem that had me so frustrated I stopped racing. I qualified reasonably well and was starting 1st, 2nd or 3rd for most of the races and I would say about 75% of the time when the countdown for the start finished, my car just bogged down briefly for about a second, just enough time to get passed by several cars relegating me to 6th, 7th or 8th by the first turn. I managed to fight back reasonably well but still ......

that makes sense to me - got my best qualifying position - 2nd - was 7th by the bottom of the straight - thought it was some crazy slipstreaming going on

I think I can answer this as I have given it a lot of thought because it was happening to me.

It depends on the track and the car. Then how close the race starts to the last turn. Being first (and depending on car) you are in 3rd gear, while the cars behind you (closer to the corner) can be in 2nd. The race starts, you bog down while the cars behind get a rocket start. It all comes down to "auto drive" and the Ai determining what gear you should be in at that particular part of the circuit.

It seems to me Suzuka East and Monza can be bad for this.

I think I can answer this as I have given it a lot of thought because it was happening to me.

It depends on the track and the car. Then how close the race starts to the last turn. Being first (and depending on car) you are in 3rd gear, while the cars behind you (closer to the corner) can be in 2nd. The race starts, you bog down while the cars behind get a rocket start. It all comes down to "auto drive" and the Ai determining what gear you should be in at that particular part of the circuit.

Hmmmm, maybe I’ll hold back a bit in qualifying next time this race comes around!

/\ /\ THIS /\ /\

Not to mention, you'll be approaching Turn 1 directly from a rolling start while the pack has been building up momentum leading into turn 1. This can create an encroaching mob right behind you, way closer than they should be.

Even in real life though, rolling starts can be a bit messy with drivers intentionally bogging down the pack to kick off in a better gear than the person behind them. You can look at the Hamilton/Vettel incident from 2017 to see how badly Hamilton pissed off Vettel doing that.

Qualified pole by a second on Monza, my car glitched during the countdown (my car was stationary while everyone else started moving) and half the field passed me before I even had control of the car. : (

I'd add that in the mid-pack you can get control at very much the wrong time, either losing you a ton of time as you drive carefully or even causing spins if you don't. Also sometimes starting on pole will have you start in 1st gear and if you don't shift up instantly you'll lose out as it'll bounce off the limiter.

Standing starts are bugged in other ways too though, it's not just rolling starts that have issues. It's basically just one of those things with this game.

I don't know how many times I've smoked people because the 3 second countdown dumped them unprepared into a curve with too much torque. Pantomiming driving during the rolling start seems to keep me from losing control of the car like that.

On dragon trail somtimes one player is in the pit stop on the map! Then when you are at the start of the finishline the player pops up, and often in wrong position from what he should started in!

I had this kinda happen on Suzuka yesterday, except when I was on pole I remained in the lead come the first corner; even though 2nd place would gain 0.250 on me every time.

But what did happen, that I found strange, was when I started 7th in one race, everyone else ahead of me was really, really slow off the grid, and I passed everyone up to 2nd by turn 1.

Apart from that one incident, being on pole meant I was always ahead come turn 1.

Got knocked around a bit & went from BS to BC so I've been starting on the pole a lot on my way back up trhe ladder, however, when starting on pole my car always starts the race in 1st gear,even though it's on the rev limiter it will not shift, as a result I always get passed at the start.
Any other starting spot I'm in 3rd to start race, what gives?

Had this happen to me on Brands Hatch the other day. Qualified in I think 5th, and by the time I reached the downhill, P6 and P7 were angling to pass me.

Happened to me once on Nurb GP, not the wrong gear or mid-turn, on the plain straight

The Gr. 3 Porsche is usually bad at starting on pole, but that is the worst I've seen. 5 seconds into the race and P2 already completed the pass. Crazy. Gearing is a big part of it, you basically hit redline in 1 second and lose both time and momentum when you have to shift. Other cars that are on the start of their powerband get a huge jump.

The Gr. 3 Porsche is usually bad at starting on pole, but that is the worst I've seen. 5 seconds into the race and P2 already completed the pass. Crazy. Gearing is a big part of it, you basically hit redline in 1 second and lose both time and momentum when you have to shift. Other cars that are on the start of their powerband get a huge jump.
I did not hit the redline.
P2 overtakes me 3secs into the race.
Watch on the radar during countdown.

I'd add that in the mid-pack you can get control at very much the wrong time, either losing you a ton of time as you drive carefully or even causing spins if you don't. Also sometimes starting on pole will have you start in 1st gear and if you don't shift up instantly you'll lose out as it'll bounce off the limiter.

Standing starts are bugged in other ways too though, it's not just rolling starts that have issues. It's basically just one of those things with this game.

100% agree with everything here.

I did not hit the redline.
P2 overtakes me 3secs into the race.
Watch on the radar during countdown.
Just to be clear, I wasn't saying you did anything wrong.

The Porsche should be one gear higher at start. Having to shift 1 second after countdown is ridiculous. I wasn't saying you hit the rev limiter, just that you were at the top of first gear in 1 second. If autodrive started you one gear higher, you might have only lost 1 or 2 positions instead of 3.

You are right, the radar shows P2 accelerating well before the countdown hits zero and I'm assuming they were in the proper gear. There's nothing you could have done to prevent the pass.

I've had that happen frequently at Dragon Trail. Cars that start just as they are exiting the last turn get a huge run, sometimes I've been passed even before the start/finish.

I remember that, I think, at Maggiore reverse in the 1st Nations Cup season, I started mid pack with half my rear left tire on the grass. It was an instant spin when the count down finished.

I also enjoy the starts when the car some lagging player in front doesn't even start to take off and all the cars behind come to a stop, too :banghead:

Back