Is this a good drift tuning?

• Thread starter ookomo
  • 18 comments
Switzerland
Switzerland
ookomo
Hi folks

I'm completely new to racing games (just bought this game 5 days ago), and I absolutely enjoy it. :D Now I wanted to start learning how to drift. As I have no idea how to tune my car properly for it, I searched this site for a drift setup and found one for my Nissan 180SX. But either the drift setup isn't that good or I am a terrible drifter (hitherto). So I would like to ask you if you could take a short look on this setup and tell me if it's ok or not. You don't have to provide a detailed answer, ok or nok would be enough. ;) I just wonder if it's me or the car that's not yet made for drifting...

the link to the setup: https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/tunes/nissan-180sx-type-x-96.5/

Thanks in advance!
ookomo

Thanks a lot for your reply FussyFez (and your setup). xD

For now I'm on a pad. I saw that, but I thought (hoped) that it wouldn't make much difference. Thanks a lot for the thread link, I will have a look at it! I found a setup (nissan silva) for the pad from Shaada, might try this one aswell until I'm going to try it myself.

Thanks a lot for your reply FussyFez (and your setup). xD

For now I'm on a pad. I saw that, but I thought (hoped) that it wouldn't make much difference. Thanks a lot for the thread link, I will have a look at it! I found a setup (nissan silva) for the pad from Shaada, might try this one aswell until I'm going to try it myself.

The setup you linked is pretty good, the only thing you need to do is get rid of the camber and toe, and you're set.

Thanks a lot for your replies and help. I start to get the hang of it. I'll be able to decently drift in no time. ;D

Also a thank to NBDrifterz for his valuable input...
Seriously though, you really helped me out getting started with drifting. As a "thank-you", I'll upload my first drift picture for you. ;)

89FIwVT.jpg

FussyFez's setup with no camber/toe and a dpad.

I'm curious to know the reasons to running no toe also. I personally run up to as much as -30 front toe on my drift setups as I find the negative toe helps keeps the car stable and predictable during counter steer, it seems to smooth out any twitchy behaviors the car has.

Though running negative front toe does have downsides too, you lose some ability to change direction quickly and it can make turn-in initiation slower, but for my style the benefits of stability out weigh the negative of lack of nimbleness.

Why do you guys run no toe?
I'm curious to know the reasons to running no toe also. I personally run up to as much as -30 front toe on my drift setups as I find the negative toe helps keeps the car stable and predictable during counter steer, it seems to smooth out any twitchy behaviors the car has.

Though running negative front toe does have downsides too, you lose some ability to change direction quickly and it can make turn-in initiation slower, but for my style the benefits of stability out weigh the negative of lack of nimbleness.
I find toe helps.

Camber is a slightly different matter.

I used camber all round to begin with, as it just made everything a bit slower and easier.

But now I'm more confident and pushing myself harder, I've removed the rear camber from most of my cars, and, and lowered the front (most are at 2.5-2.8) (I don't know why I get better results with camber on the front whilst drifting, as 0.0 still gives the best grip in racing conditions)

Most of my drift cars have between 0.10 and 0.30 front toe out (I find it gives a little more full lock, and also helps with turn in 'flickability') , with between 0.08 and 0.12 toe in on the rear (helps catching big entries and transitions)

Maybe @Gonales might expand in her rationale slightly for removing all wheel alignment?

Edit

@ookomo, glad your getting your slide on mate. Have fun.

I find toe helps.

Camber is a slightly different matter.

I used camber all round to begin with, as it just made everything a bit slower and easier.

But now I'm more confident and pushing myself harder, I've removed the rear camber from most of my cars, and, and lowered the front (most are at 2.5-2.8) (I don't know why I get better results with camber on the front whilst drifting, as 0.0 still gives the best grip in racing conditions)

Most of my drift cars have between 0.10 and 0.30 front toe out (I find it gives a little more full lock, and also helps with turn in 'flickability') , with between 0.08 and 0.12 toe in on the rear (helps catching big entries and transitions)

Maybe @Gonales might expand in her rationale slightly for removing all wheel alignment?

Edit

@ookomo, glad your getting your slide on mate. Have fun.

It's simple, yet stupid. I can't rationalize what the toe, (be it positive or negative), does to a car's handling characteristics, and I haven't had the time for extensive testing to figure it out. So instead of just throwing on a random tune, I use a car that I can understand, and one of which I can rationalize what and why it's doing what it's doing.

It's simple, yet stupid. I can't rationalize what the toe, (be it positive or negative), does to a car's handling characteristics, and I haven't had the time for extensive testing to figure it out. So instead of just throwing on a random tune, I use a car that I can understand, and one of which I can rationalize what and why it's doing what it's doing.
As far as I'm aware.

Front

Toe out = better turn in response, but a tendency to understeer mid corner.

Toe in = less turn in response, but more grip mid corner.

Rear

Toe out = better rotation, more lively rear end

Toe in = better stability, less eager to turn in but stable enough to be thrown around and trust the rear to stick.

(all in regards to grip driving, but the Theory is the same.)

@Stavingo, from my testing, toe is working as expected, It's only camber that is currently giving odd results.

As far as I'm aware.

Front

Toe out = better turn in response, but a tendency to understeer mid corner.

Toe in = less turn in response, but more grip mid corner.

Rear

Toe out = better rotation, more lively rear end

Toe in = better stability, less eager to turn in but stable enough to be thrown around and trust the rear to stick.

(all in regards to grip driving, but the Theory is the same.)

@Stavingo, from my testing, toe is working as expected, It's only camber that is currently giving odd results.

This is what I'm finding.

I use toe out in the front and toe in with the rear

Back