Is this a good moment to pick up a Fanatec GT2 wheel?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Mannequin
  • 35 comments
  • 3,976 views
Messages
14
Italy
Italy
Is this a good moment to pick up a Fanatec GT2 wheel?

I know the features and qualities of the wheel, I'm concerned about particular offers that might show up soon - i heard about the launch of the new Fanatec website so..who knows?

I see the great bundles with the CSR wheel (which I don't like) and I remember the great ClubSport bundle with the GT2 itself, by now buying the wheel + pedals + shifter + accessories it's a bit pricey.

Oh, by the way, any ETA about the new ClubSport Pedals 2.0?

Thank you in advance, I'm new here :O
 
I mean, the GT2 is really expensive right now. It's a great wheel, but there isn't any particular reason why now would be a really good time to buy it.
 
I just sold my CSR Elite in the hopes of getting a new clubsport. If you want an even better wheel than the GT2 you could PM people with some offers. I know there will be a lot of people who sell their still very fresh CSR Elites in the coming months... Just a suggestion.
 
I mean, the GT2 is really expensive right now. It's a great wheel, but there isn't any particular reason why now would be a really good time to buy it.
I'm not sure to get what you mean ^^

My concern is not about the (great) quality of the wheel itself, but I wonder if this is a good moment to buy it, considering the good bundles Fanatec often does.

Maybe something is going to show up with the launch of the new website and the ClubSport pedals 2.0?

I just sold my CSR Elite in the hopes of getting a new clubsport. If you want an even better wheel than the GT2 you could PM people with some offers. I know there will be a lot of people who sell their still very fresh CSR Elites in the coming months... Just a suggestion.
Thank you, but I'm afraid the CSR-E (even used) is a little out of budget ATM.

Besides, my plan is to get the GT2 + CSP and then, in the future, upgrade to the CSW while keeping the GT2 for multiplatform purposes.
 
There haven't been bundles for the GT2 for quite some time now. I myself is waiting for it as we speak. If it weren't for the announcement of the upcoming releases, I would've got it already. Fanatec is about to release new products by the end of the month, and you can probably order them in 2 weeks or so. In my opinion, if you can wait, wait for a few more weeks just to be sure.
 
There are no upcoming special offers planned.
 
Fanatec is about to release new products by the end of the month, and you can probably order them in 2 weeks or so. In my opinion, if you can wait, wait for a few more weeks just to be sure.
Really?
What products?

There are no upcoming special offers planned.
Thank you very much, Thomas ^^

Well, now I REALLY can't wait to get my wheel.
 
The Clubsport Wheel (CSW) and (hopefully) the Clubsport Pedals V2 (CSPV2). I'll put my order once the CSPV2 is reviewed/tested and working great.
Is it confirmed that they'll be both released in July?
 
Mannequin
i heard about the launch of the new Fanatec website so..who knows?

What's this about a new website? Is it up or is it to be released with the new stuff?
 
I have the GT2 and I think It´s not worth the price, very poor quality, loud fan, have to bee hardmounted on a cockpit to be properly used. etc.
 
Preorders will start when the new site goes live. Thomas has people scouring the website ( beta testing ) right now.
The clock is ticking and its got to be getting close.

All this info can be found in the Mega fanatec thread here and also on Thomas's blog.



Simmpa
I have the GT2 and I think It´s not worth the price, very poor quality, loud fan, have to bee hardmounted on a cockpit to be properly used. etc.

I disagree with everything in this post.
Quality/price: My gt2 has been rock solid for 18 months.
Loud fan: on start up you can hear it. In game its unnotuceable unless you are racing with your TV muted.
Hardmount: any decent forcefeedback wheel will benefit from a hardmount solution, but the table clamps work well when properly mounted.

Now if you want to get into the crap way the shifter mounts to the wheel I'd agree. Though it does do its job, it is just a little wobbly.
 
Last edited:
I have the GT2 and I think It´s not worth the price, very poor quality, loud fan, have to bee hardmounted on a cockpit to be properly used. etc.

Can you please clarify the following?
- Very poor quality: which aspect?
- Loud fan: when?
- Hardmount: from what I've read, this is true for all Fanatec wheels.
- To what are you comparing the GT2?

I tried the Turbo S before and the quality has been exceptionally great. The fan became louder when I raced with 100% force feedback for more than 30 minutes, but it's only noticeable when the game volume die down.
 
Can you please clarify the following?
- Very poor quality: which aspect?
- Loud fan: when?
- Hardmount: from what I've read, this is true for all Fanatec wheels.
- To what are you comparing the GT2?

I tried the Turbo S before and the quality has been exceptionally great. The fan became louder when I raced with 100% force feedback for more than 30 minutes, but it's only noticeable when the game volume die down.

I have turbo S and I use temperature controlled fan setting and fans won't even go on most of the time. Maybe she/he does not update his wheel ?
 
Raitziger,

That's a possibility, and I forgot to mention that we were racing in a room with no AC in the middle of the Summer, only ventilating fans to help circulating airflow in the room. That probably contributed to the fans within the wheel to kick in earlier.
 
Is it a problem to keep FF at 100% (or whatever is considered the maximum) for long sessions (~3/4h)?

I'm talking about the GT2.

BTW, I can't take a decision: pick up the wheel now with the CSR Elite Pedals or wait for the CSP V2?
Maybe I can look for some used CSP since they're out of production, IDK.

Decisions, decisions..
 
I run ffb @100 on wheel, 90% in game. My wheel has been on for upwards of 9 hours on occasion and I never felt the fan got loud. My fat ps3 is louder.

The only fan annoyance is a minor squealing for the first minute or two.
 
The noise isn't a problem (who plays racing games on mute?), the health of the wheel is.

Is it dangerous to set the FF at high settings for long amounts of time?
 
The noise isn't a problem (who plays racing games on mute?), the health of the wheel is.

Is it dangerous to set the FF at high settings for long amounts of time?

Actually in the event of a wheel fail, Fanatec tech support will ask you what the FFB settings are that you use and what length of time the wheel was used for consecutively before replacing it.

Don't take my word for it, a number of people have posted about this on other Sim-related forums, and I have saved email correspondence with Fanatec regarding this.

I own both a GT3 RS V.2, and a CSR wheel. The CSR seems to run cooler than the GT3 RS V.2 which is very similar in design to the GT2 with the exception of lighted buttons and XBox wireless support.

DG of ISR has also stated that the CSR seems to run cooler. The CSR does have larger cooling vents covered in different mesh that allow for better air flow than the GT2/GT3s.

The GT2/GT3 do tend to run on the warm side.

Regarding FFB in GT5, I keep the wheel's setting at 100, and vary FFB in-game from 60 to 70 depending on car/track.

----------------------------------

As far as pedals go, to-date Fanatec has not released a Tuning Kit for the CSR E pedals, so if you want to alter the pedals' feel and/or resistance, there are not many options available yet.

If you buy used CSP V.1 pedals you will have the same lack of Tuning Kit issue as the CSR E pedals because Fanatec seems to have discontinued that item, unless you can find one 2nd hand.

Fanatec has stated that they will be releasing a Tuning Kit for the still-unreleased CSP V.2s.

I have the CSP V.1s with Tuning Kit parts installed and in my humble opinion they are much better than the CSR E (which I have used), although upside down mounting is not as straightforward.

There has been speculation as to whether or not the CSP V.2s can be hung upside down because of the new clutch and brake mechanism designs.
 
Last edited:
Mannequin
The noise isn't a problem (who plays racing games on mute?), the health of the wheel is.

Is it dangerous to set the FF at high settings for long amounts of time?

As I said in my last post my gt2 has gone thru some very long sessions. I have not had any concerns about the electronics in my wheel.

With that said, I take no responsibility for damages to anyone wheels ;)
 
I'm thinking about getting the GT3 RS because I don't care for Xbox compatibility, and I heard that they are very similar wheels. Would I be better off with a CSR because it runs cooler? Would it last longer? (I'm using a like new, stock DFGT that I got new 1.5 years ago)

I'm also curious if I could get the GT3 RS CSR edition with CSP V2's instead (obviously, I'd make the order when released)?
 
I would definately go for the CSR. It's a great wheel and the price difference is not that high. If you ever want to sell it, the cross platform compatibility will make it easier to sell.

If there is a new xbox next year, you just might change your mind about the Xbox compatibility.(all depends on the upcoming race games on the xbox)

While it's no garantee, the CSR will be the best bet for compatiblity with the xbox successor
 
The CSR is a complete piece of garbage. I have had 4 from multiple RMA's; Alacantara coming off the grips, centering issues, and the d-pad joystick breaking.

If you get the CSR I guarantee you you will have problems with the Alcantara and the d-pad joystick. Don't take my word for it. Google the issues I have mentioned.

DO NOT BUY THE CSR.
 
Is the GT3 RS better then? I really don't care for xbox, more like, I may never buy a console again
 
I own the GT2, so far so great. Owned for over a year. Interesting that Simracing Hardware are bringing adapters GT2 and GT3RS that allow any wheel to be used. So that's coming soon.

7400702554_c022d635b0_c.jpg
 
Back