Is this it?

• Thread starter breyzipp
  • 75 comments
Belgium
Lokeren
breyzipp
breyzipp
I used to play a lot of GT5 and GT6 but because PD didn't release a next gen title soon I made the "temporary" jump from PS3 to XBox One. Started with Forza Horizon 2 (great chill out game) and then Forza 6. Meanwhile got Project CARS and Dirt Rally as well on the XBox but all "temporary" because I thought I would eventually jump back to GT and buy a PS4 especially for it. I now play both Forza 6 and Dirt Rally a lot but I'm also looking forward to Assetto Corsa later this year (either PS4 or XBox One).

Now... I honestly don't know where to begin. This GTS unvealing of the last few days. From the gameplay videos I haven't seen anything that makes me want this game. Just at the time Forza 6 release the NASCAR expansion with the Miami-Homestead Speedway track, PD shows off this Northern Island Speedway. Now Homestead is certainly not one of my favorite tracks in FM6 but the graphics sure seem vastly superior than those of Northern Island. The asphalt even looks like a 1 tint texture from 10 years ago. Seriously, is this what we have been waiting for? Just now I also watched the facelifted Willow Springs video (one of my favorite tracks of GT6 that I really miss in FM6) and the same story here, the graphics don't look interesting at all and the interior of the R8 looks sub par. Are FM6 graphics that good to the point that my personal bar has been raised that high? Also the sound of the R8 or the 458 GT3 at the Nurburgring video, it's just pathetic.

The only thing that looked good to me are the close-up shots of the trailers (Mazda MX-5 from the old trailer) and I like the photoshoot locations to place cars. But.... that's it. Nothing that has anything to do with the racing itself.

Now I'm certainly not a FM6 fanboy, I really dislike Turn 10 and their pigheaded attitude with a passion and I was seriously looking forward to someday come back to PS4 and GTS. But there isn't anything that looks interesting. :( The PS4 is hands down the technically stronger console, I was so certain PD would show us something that blows FM6 out of the water. Seriously, what a huge disappointment.

Still, I *want* to like this game though and I want to move over to PS4 again, but... pfffff. :( Maybe I'm stuck with Turn 10 longer than I expected. Or maybe Assetto Corsa or Project CARS 2 at some point will be the games that really persuade me to make the step.

Pffff... certainly not feeling good about this. :(

GTS is confirmed as VR game so it must hit 60 fps all tine with 0 drops to be VR compatable. So dont expect graphic on par with Driveclub, with 20 cars on track. I think that game have good base but be patient, wait for E3,GCW,TGS and final version of game. :)

GTS is confirmed as VR game so it must hit 60 fps all tine with 0 drops to be VR compatable. So dont expect graphic on par with Driveclub, with 20 cars on track. I think that game have good base but be patient, wait for E3,GCW,TGS and final version of game. :)

Aah is VR the reason for these disappointing graphics? Not really planning to buy a VR headset, I'm fine with my 50" and 65" TVs for gaming. But it's an interesting thought, I wonder if future VR games will also mean that they come with big graphical sacrifices so they might not be worth it for TV/monitor gaming. (if graphics mean a lot, in my case they sure do).

I really hope you are right and E3/release will show a different game but I strongly doubt so, I've never seen the looks of official alpha/beta/pre-release videos been very different from what the final game eventually turned up to be. But let's hope I'm very wrong.

I also like classic cars a lot but I haven't even seen one in the GTS menus or videos. I think they won't even be in because of this eSport and FIA focus. Will probably have to wait for GT7 or something. Yikes. :( I feel like I'm stuck with Turn 10 and I don't like that even one bit.

It's crazy what people expect today, if it's nothing short of photo-realistic, threads are full of "the graphics are ****"...

I watched the direct-feed on nurburger and there's a definite improvement over last gen, I can't imagine how it could be much better in all honesty without putting in fake hollywood-style lighting effects.

Now obviously, not everything looks amazing.

It's clearly not a finished game yet, but what did we expect when it's still not out for another 6 months.

I'm gonna miss out on a lot of my favourite cars, but I still think this will be a great game.

Last edited by a moderator:
I know everyone expectation was to get blown away with the gfx. The trailer was taken from online gameplay. Keep in mind the online footage look worse due to latency, collision and how car behaves so it is not best representation of the game. The game is at beta. I noticed the grass is not moving as car flies by. GT5 and GT6 have this so the game is in early stage and programmer has not implemented many thing yet. But anyways the game looks fine at it current state too:

Sure they can have sun at your face, lens fare etc. From my observation I am impressed with green hell, brands hatch and willow spring. Tokyo track and the oval needs crowd, flag which they will probably add before launch. Other bugs, flickering etc is normal for game at this stage. I will agree I was little disappointed by trailer at first. But the more I watch it the more I like it. First time when I watched it. I was like, this is done by school boy not a pro :confused:

Last edited:
@breyzipp you need to step away from your longterm GT relationship, and buy a competitors game to finally open your eyes and realize how oudated GT has become. It was the same with me before, went over to FM4 initially in 2012 and then onwards to a PC and proper racing sims. It would be very very hard for me to lower my expectations again and be able to enjoy GT, and i certainly wouldn't spend 400 bucks on a console for it like i used to do.

Did you go to the event yesterday? Not trying to boast, far from, I'm just saying, you definitely need to see the game in person. It is very good looking, better lighting than GT6. Can't say if it's better looking than Forza because I don't play it but it is definitely next-gen worthy. Also this is a preview build... halfway done, just relax.

It's crazy what people expect today, if it's nothing short of photo-realistic, threads are full of "the graphics are ****"...

Well a lot of the screenshots sure do look photorealistic, but that's because it's a photo as well, with a GT car in front of it. Like I already said on my first post, that is a part that looked good. When I say disappointing graphics I mean the in-game racing footage: The 458 GT3 at the Nurburgring, the livestream racing at the speedway and the R8 LMS at Willow Springs.

Also isn't it normal to expect more and more each new release? Especially on a new gen console. Technology and tools the devs have in their hands advances as well. If we're not allowed to expect more and devs don't put in effort to give more we would all still be playing OutRun.

Personally I think they've got the artstyle/lighting spot on that it "looks" realistic regardless whether the graphics are good or not. However, I do think the graphics are not as high as our expectations (considering PD have always pushed the boundaries for each gen). Cockpit is not particularly impressive in my opinion, especially since there are no reflections on the windshield of the interior cockpit. I just hope the dynamic range isn't too large like in GT6, where it led to very dark cockpits, and fixing that would lead to over exposure in other parts (at least it seems to be better than GT6).
I'm glad they didn't opt for the obnoxious Forza sun glare, hate that.

Tracks look fine but seem to lack the finer details (the grass isn't as great looking at Forza 6 with majority just being flat textures).

My initial impression was that it looked great since it had to support VR, and confirmed 2P splitscreen (so didn't expect it to be equal to DriveClub which was also 30 fps). Although that reminds me that Forza supports 24 Players (GTS 20 car confirmed so far), and Forza also has 2 player splitscreen. Forza also has weather (although maybe weather will be implemented later).

Not knowing the impact of the VR, I am sort of underwhelmed by GTS. I think it looks great, but I honestly expected more from PD considering how great they are at pushing the hardware.

I just hope the dynamic range isn't too large like in GT6, where it led to very dark cockpits, and fixing that would lead to over exposure in other parts (at least it seems to be better than GT6).
That's actually a sign of too little dynamic range. If the dynamic range were bigger, there would be less underexposure in dark parts and less overexposure in light parts.

That's actually a sign of too little dynamic range. If the dynamic range were bigger, there would be less underexposure in dark parts and less overexposure in light parts.

Then is this the reason why Assetto Corsa, F6, Projects Cars all have easily visible interiors? Is it because they all have a high dynamic range?

Then is this the reason why Assetto Corsa, F6, Projects Cars all have easily visible interiors? Is it because they all have a high dynamic range?
I certainly think higher than GT6. I have always felt the effect from driving in a tunnel (where you can see clearly inside the dark tunnel, but the end is just a big bright washed out ball) was too exaggerated. It's not like that in real life at all, the human eye actually has a very high dynamic range (much higher than a camera), e.g. you can see very clearly both inside the tunnel and looking out of it. There's some adjustment because of the eyes characteristics, but it's a lot more subtle than in GT6 (and a lot of other games too BTW).

This topic could have actually been written by me, as it describes almost perfectly what has been happening to my gaming life lately. Except I didn't go for Horizon, just FM6. I have no regrets on the Microsoft side and learned to enjoy myself with Turn 10's software. But I really want to go back to Polyphony Digital's franchise one day and buy a PS4 in the future too, but as I'm more of a street-car guy I guess I'll wait for GT7, because GTS seems too much race-car biased for my taste. For now I stay with my XB1... or PS3 running GT6/5.

I'm not sure if it'll make it to console or not but the pc version comes with various post processing filters built in. They very the dynamic range, hue, tint, colour palette etc. Au natural, photomode, retro, sepia (I think) and others. Running around in the Lotus 49 on the classic version of Monza or the Nurburgring in black and white is much cooler than I thought it would:lol:. I need a leather helmet, goggles and a big scarf to flesh out the experience:sly:

Well a lot of the screenshots sure do look photorealistic, but that's because it's a photo as well, with a GT car in front of it. Like I already said on my first post, that is a part that looked good. When I say disappointing graphics I mean the in-game racing footage: The 458 GT3 at the Nurburgring, the livestream racing at the speedway and the R8 LMS at Willow Springs.

Also isn't it normal to expect more and more each new release? Especially on a new gen console. Technology and tools the devs have in their hands advances as well. If we're not allowed to expect more and devs don't put in effort to give more we would all still be playing OutRun.
Ok first of all You're judging an unfinished game 6months before its release on livestream footage. Even when the Livesream is running on source the quality is still not as good as dedicated video from a capture card. That direct feed video was "direct feed" from the livestream itself. I know livestream footage when I see it. All the visuals and sounds from the game is being pumped from a limited upload speed. What you see is not what you get (in a good way)

Second of all, Its ok to expect more but there's a limit to what technology of today can do. As of right now Uncharted 4 is the best looking game to date, yet there's still drawbacks to what they could've pulled off with the hardware provided. If all games were made for all platforms then this would be a different story but we're talking strictly console here. How far do you want to push these real people with real lives that are already working day and night to pull something off without guaranteed success? How many more dozens of millions must they shovel into this hype train till we say "Your efforts were enough, good job. Good luck on the next title". Sure game development is easier but its also getting more more expensive because every single pixel MUST have extreme detail and outstanding graphical fidelity. We're lucky we're not paying $70 for standardized versions of a game. Remember when that almost happend? Of course this is a racing game so immersion is important and I'm not saying that GTS shouldnt be open for debate but are you seriously gonna put your final verdict on a piece of unfinished work from a livestream?

Wanna know my thoughts on the game? It looks and sounds better than GT6. That's it. I'm gonna wait until the game is released, I'm gonna watch/read trusted reviews, then I'll get the game in my hands.

Ok first of all You're judging an unfinished game 6months before its release on livestream footage. Even when the Livesream is running on source the quality is still not as good as dedicated video from a capture card. That direct feed video was "direct feed" from the livestream itself. I know livestream footage when I see it. All the visuals and sounds from the game is being pumped from a limited upload speed. What you see is not what you get (in a good way)

Second of all, Its ok to expect more but there's a limit to what technology of today can do. As of right now Uncharted 4 is the best looking game to date, yet there's still drawbacks to what they could've pulled off with the hardware provided. If all games were made for all platforms then this would be a different story but we're talking strictly console here. How far do you want to push these real people with real lives that are already working day and night to pull something off without guaranteed success? How many more dozens of millions must they shovel into this hype train till we say "Your efforts were enough, good job. Good luck on the next title". Sure game development is easier but its also getting more more expensive because every single pixel MUST have extreme detail and outstanding graphical fidelity. We're lucky we're not paying $70 for standardized versions of a game. Remember when that almost happend? Of course this is a racing game so immersion is important and I'm not saying that GTS shouldnt be open for debate but are you seriously gonna put your final verdict on a piece of unfinished work from a livestream?

Wanna know my thoughts on the game? It looks and sounds better than GT6. That's it. I'm gonna wait until the game is released, I'm gonna watch/read trusted reviews, then I'll get the game in my hands.
I feel it's ok to make a judgement now. It gives you a good point of reference for when the game does actually release. Then that allows you to reasses your judgement based on the end product to see what has or hasn't changed.

I feel it's ok to make a judgement now. It gives you a good point of reference for when the game does actually release. Then that allows you to reasses your judgement based on the end product to see what has or hasn't changed.
And that's ok. But people are already making up their mind on a game they haven't played thats not finish. It doesn't make any sense.

50% done....let's say they started a year ago. (Which it's probably more) So now they will have 6 months to finish the other 50%? I don't think so.. it won't be "finished".

I think a big difference is that people who are enthusiastic about it compare it to GT6. Well some of us haven't been standing still and we compare it with the likes of Forza 6 and Dirt Rally and the graphics in those games are stunning.

Also, 6 months before release the only thing they basically do is to top off stuff, add some extra cars and tracks, fix bugs (the major goal) and that's it. If you expect the pale tarmac and grass from the racing videos will suddenly change to the high detail tarmac and grass as in Forza 6 I think you will be up for a decent disappointment in November. As some have said earlier already too, this was the public showing after years of silence and only 1 trailer previously released. You can bet PD made the presentation as good as possible. Don't expect miracles over the next 6 months, expect minor changes and polishing.

Agree that Uncharted 4 looks amazing on the PS4, if there is any game I would buy a PS4 for it would be that one (I owned 1-2-3 on the PS3 as well), but not GT:S.

I think a big difference is that people who are enthusiastic about it compare it to GT6. Well some of us haven't been standing still and we compare it with the likes of Forza 6 and Dirt Rally and the graphics in those games are stunning.

Also, 6 months before release the only thing they basically do is to top off stuff, add some extra cars and tracks, fix bugs (the major goal) and that's it. If you expect the pale tarmac and grass from the racing videos will suddenly change to the high detail tarmac and grass as in Forza 6 I think you will be up for a decent disappointment in November. As some have said earlier already too, this was the public showing after years of silence and only 1 trailer previously released. You can bet PD made the presentation as good as possible. Don't expect miracles over the next 6 months, expect minor changes and polishing.

Agree that Uncharted 4 looks amazing on the PS4, if there is any game I would buy a PS4 for it would be that one (I owned 1-2-3 on the PS3 as well), but not GT:S.
Trust me I'm with you on this one. I've played a few hours of Forza 6 and my brother has AC and Pcars and all those games are stunning no doubt but I like looking at GT for what it is rather than what its not. I've come to realize that GT is in a genre of itself kinda like Darksouls, Uncharted and Call of duty because of their cult followers. Theyre not the best in the genres they fall into but they each do something that makes them stand out from the rest. I know if compare GT to AC it would be pale in comparison but for a GT game it looks promising.

I don't dislike the graphics but I'm really concerned about the game itself. I might get a ps4 just for it if it's actually good but I'm kind of afraid that it will be like GT5 and GT6. Don't get me wrong; the games are good but it just feels like they aren't good enough to stay on par with the competition and live up to today's standards. Yeah the graphics are good and the cars handle very realistically and there are like 12 hundred of them but it's a shame that the games falter in all the other aspects.
  • Only (about) 300 cars have detailed interiors and graphics/focus on quantity rather than quality
  • Few tracks compared to competitors
  • Literally no cars newer than 2014
  • Updates that did mostly nothing apart from removing bugs and adding a track editor which we should have from launch
  • Boring singleplayer "career"
  • Minimal car customization
  • Buggy multiplayer with issues they should have ironed out
and the list goes on and on...
and I'm even more scared because Kaz actually said they would keep the standards and focus on adding new cars. What!?
What do they do with their time!? Since 2005 they had EIGHT years and this is all they could do!? Seriously?
Is this an average day at PD HQ?
199oxpxlgfsvhjpg.jpg

(Maybe this post would better fit in the epic whining thread)

Last edited:

If you read Jordan and other guys it is obvious the game is in beta stage and many things have not been implemented or shown in this event. I also love when grass react when car goes showing it is dynamic and not static environment like other games. I am still hopeful at least real time day/night cycle will be added to the game. I read someone said skid mark is missing in the current build of GTS?. Which is weird because GT6 has probably the best skid marks and smoke affect in any game.

Regarding the cockpit and HDR range. I love the affect when car comes from a tunnel. It looks very realistic. I do not like the bright light always or sun in the face. That is the reason most game look realistic on overcast condition than in day light.

Last edited:
Is this it?

GTS is the way it is because of the late release of GT6. While everyone else was busy building next gen assets, PD probably spent a solid year or more working on GT6 when they should have already been onto the next generation.

As it is, they are 1-2 years behind Turn 10 and others. So it makes sense that GTS looks like a launch title or year 1 game. Because PD has not been working on it for very long at all.

I wouldn't judge the game on graphics alone at this point but the videos I have seen have been terrible. I guess I really wasn't expecting better because everything I hated is typical GT, the bumper car racing, the terrible physics and sounds, actually pretty much everything I saw in the videos was disappointing.

I guess there is a place in e-sports for a crappy car game that is nothing like real racing but I imagine that is only until people realise there are realistic racing options and isn't that the reason we all started playing GT because we wanted to live out our driving fantasies that we could never afford in real life? I think the issue here is PD hasn't realised yet how far behind it has slipped or how far the rest of the sim racing world has come and it has really underestimated the threat of PC gaming.

Sony have a great thing in the PS4 but if they have nothing compelling in this market at the moment and I think PD has failed long enough now to realise they can no longer be relied upon to be the definitive driving game for Playstation. I think it is time for Sony to either beg iRacing to come to Playstation or pay one of the better developers like iRacing or Kunos to make a real racing sim for PS4.

Latest Posts

Back