Is this the worst first release of a game in the history of racing games?PS4 

• Thread starter Old N Slow
  • 150 comments
Australia
Australia
Old N Slow
Simple question that I am racking my tiny old brain to answer.
Yes I'm a FANATEC owner. Yes I'm sure the issues will be fixed in time. So please respond to the question.

Started Gaming in the late 1970's with Hanimex Pong before graduating to Atari 2600 so I've seen many games and systems come and go.
I can't recall a game release that had so many issues on release on a console. Some PC games have had issues on release but this seems to be the worst I've encountered on a console.
Curious if anyone can think of one worse.
Anyone?

An answer would be suggesting an alternative that was/is worse. "No" is really more of a statement.

He gave you an answer at the end of the quote.

Driveclub suffered from server issues from day one which weren't fully resolved until the game was about a month into its lifespan which, combined with a fairly uninteresting single player experience and that it sold a million copies in a week, resulted in some very heavy flak.

It seems to depend on what hardware you're using and how you play the game to some extent as to how bad the issues are for you. For me I've really not encountered any serious issues myself yet - using controller on PS4, mostly only pursued career starting at Clio Cup.

DriveClub was pretty bad - considering the whole 'club' aspect was completely missing/broken.

He gave you an answer at the end of the quote.

Driveclub suffered from server issues from day one which weren't fully resolved until the game was about a month into its lifespan which, combined with a fairly uninteresting single player experience and that it sold a million copies in a week, resulted in some very heavy flak.

My apologies not sure how I missed it. Old and blind?

There's loads worse than this. I've played with zero issues tonight, admittedly with a DS4. Just recently there's been RIDE with its save issue, drive club as mentioned, test drive unlimited 2 was a shocker as well.

Hard for me to say in terms of consoles as the only racing games I have bought for consoles are GT, Forza, Horizon and Shift2

Shift2 on the 360 was really bad in terms of FFB, to the point it was all but undriveable without making major changes to the wheel settings. Horizon well I suppose it is fine for those who like that kind of game but I regretted buying it within the first hour and ended up returning it for credit toward something else.

Of course I bought P-Cars for the PC as I would with pretty much any game that is available for the PC. Shift2 was an exception where my XBox friends talked me into getting that version so we could race together. The PC version would have been a much better choice. I think I managed to play the Xbox version for about an hour before it went on the shelf.

I don't think so, Shift 2 was worse so they are improving but seriously Test Drive Ferrari Racing Legends is by far the worst one.

It was dead on arrival, nobody was playing it, the game had no patches at all. Some people who preordered it actually got ripped off by online retailers and had to ask for refunds, sometimes they didn't even get the game nor a refund. PC version finally came out almost a year after and it was just as broken.

Game has Shift 1 physics with Shift 2 input lag and PCARS crash physics. Lightning doesn't work, buggy as hell and career mode is downright unplayable. No damage, no tuning, assists can't be disabled, at least not all of them.

Hahaha, now that I think about it, these guys are just unbelievable, they are the Bethesda of racing games, ambitious but rubbish. Test Drive Ferrari... What was that? How did this game come into existance? Why is it sitting on my hard drive?

I am a gt2 wheel user and I can't use my h pattern shiftier and I have other issues I am trying to sort out but lack of sleep is getting Me no were tonight i will try and mess with it morning before work. Bug more i think about it a patch would fix about 95% of my issues. I would say this game is broken for gt2 and gt3 owners at the moment

Simple question that I am racking my tiny old brain to answer.
Yes I'm a FANATEC owner. Yes I'm sure the issues will be fixed in time. So please respond to the question.

Started Gaming in the late 1970's with Hanimex Pong before graduating to Atari 2600 so I've seen many games and systems come and go.
I can't recall a game release that had so many issues on release on a console. Some PC games have had issues on release but this seems to be the worst I've encountered on a console.
Curious if anyone can think of one worse.
Anyone?
The Codemasters F1 series is so bug ridden it ain't even funny.

Unless SMS fixes the bugs and bizarre controller (DS4) settings, a couple of people I know probably will never buy another game that I suggest.

Hard to say. I've heard of a lot of people asking for refunds but I've also heard that a lot of people are satisfied. All in all though I think it's safe to say it's not everything it was hyped up to be.

Hard to say. I've heard of a lot of people asking for refunds but I've also heard that a lot of people are satisfied. All in all though I think it's safe to say it's not everything it was hyped up to be.
Whether or not it lived up to the hype is a purely subjective thing. I was very hyped for PCars and it has completely met my expectations and lived up to the hype, I LOVE it.
I am disappointed in the bugs though considering the amount of prerelease testing and the delays, though I haven't encountered very many at all so far, and they haven't diminished my enjoyment one bit. I can only imagine how happy I'll be once the patches start to arrive.
Being a huge fan of replays I would like to see them ironed out to perfection as well as the other issues.
I still think PCars is all class though and am glad to see it has reviewed so very well. From what I have been reading it has lived up to and in many cases surpassed the prerelease hype for a great many people, that cannot be denied,

Whether or not it lived up to the hype is a purely subjective thing. I was very hyped for PCars and it has completely met my expectations and lived up to the hype, I LOVE it.
I am disappointed in the bugs though considering the amount of prerelease testing and the delays, though I haven't encountered very many at all so far, and they haven't diminished my enjoyment one bit. I can only imagine how happy I'll be once the patches start to arrive.
Being a huge fan of replays I would like to see them ironed out to perfection as well as the other issues people are finding.
I still think PCars is all class though and am glad to see it has reviewed so very well. From what I have been reading it has lived up to and in many cases surpassed the prerelease hype for a great many people, that cannot be denied,
I'm hearing both good and bad thoughts from peeps on GTP. Seems very divisive. I'm not going to say whether it's good or bad because I haven't played it yet.

Sure, there are plenty of bugs, glitches and other issues with pCARS that needs fixing, but the worst? Come on. That's just hyperbole.

S4A
TDU2 had massive server problems for the first couple of months. Pretty much made it a disaster as far at the MMO aspect went.
This. I consider TDU2's launch one of the absolute worst out of all the racing games I've played. Broken for months. Beats Driveclub by a mile.

I've hardly touched the career but my time in quick race weekends and online MP suggests no, it's really not the bugfest it's made out to be. been pretty solid actually with only little niggles but nothing game-breaking or even race-destroying. when I head back to the career perhaps I'll encounter some of the madness others have mentioned, but for now I'm happy.

Personally I think it has been one of the best release. It has it's flaws ie. bugs but what game doesn't. Battlefield 4 was rubbish to begin with. PS4 was crying out for a decent racing game and I think SMS has really delivered. In the week I've had the online I've played with mates has been great fun with minimal lag. Considering how the game was created it really appeals too those who truly appreciate Motorsport.

Personally I think it has been one of the best release. It has it's flaws ie. bugs but what game doesn't. Battlefield 4 was rubbish to begin with. PS4 was crying out for a decent racing game and I think SMS has really delivered. In the week I've had the online I've played with mates has been great fun with minimal lag. Considering how the game was created it really appeals too those who truly appreciate Motorsport.

My thoughts exactly mate! Played online last night and it was a bug free evening, (except for a mosquito buzzing round my room!) ;) Had a couple of great races, although i must say the standard of driving online by a few is pretty lousy, but that's another subject altogether!! (These crashers are the only real bug in the game to me!)

My highlight so far was three of us in ginetta juniors at oulton park 2nd last corner we have a train going then bam my mate hits a curb wrong and is spat into the fence. Not the craziest thing but we all cracked up. Brilliant fun

Driveclub was appalling at launch but is a good example of how a title can be turned around.

As far as truly bad then TDU2, Big Rigs and Driving Emotion S all spring to mind (and the last one was a PS2 title so no hope of being fixed via patches).

Personally pCars is far from even being a bad release, yes it does have bugs and its not the best looking thing around, however being more than aware of the size of the developer and what they had to work with that doesn't surprise me at all. I'm getting a silly amount of enjoyment out of it despite these, and yes SMS do need to keep engaged with the community and get these resolved.

That's Next gen for you, broken and buggy games being released then fixed via patches.
This, standard practice these days.

Oh; and the last time i felt so impressed playing a new racing game was probably back in 2005, when i drove Le Mans the first time in GT4 and the sun was shining in my face at the straight before Indianapolis. Maybe FM4 came close due to it's magnificent garage, but this experience alone makes me turn a blind eye on some of the bugs i encounter.

Back