• 28 comments

RikkiGT-R

GT: IamValhalla
Premium
United Kingdom
United Kingdom
Rikki_GTR
IamValhalla
So I bought GT7 again recently and to be fair I’m absolutely loving Gran Turismo once more. So much content for a solely-offline (single player) gamer like me.

Having said that, one small niggle holds the game back from greatness:

Rolling Starts

I really cannot stand these and don’t know why PD insist on having them in every damned race. What’s worse is that I usually start 27-ish seconds behind 1st place, absolutely decimate that lead over the first half of the race, then mysteriously chip away at the last couple of seconds to win by a fine margin by the end. If P1 is so slow that I catch him within 2 laps then I should streak ahead over the ensuing laps. But it’s usually extremely close once I catch up.
It’s so clearly fabricated (rubber banding) to make for an “exciting” race, but it’s absurd.

Why not even give us the option of grid starts? So what if we win by a landslide? Those of us who enjoy the competition will choose lesser cars to make the race closer. I find myself having to pick an overpowered car each time in order to make the starting gap feel fair. But flying past all cars but P1 really quickly makes it unrealistic.

I’m aware I can create custom races myself with grid starts and all manner of restrictions for some genuinely thrilling racing (and I do), but these don’t count towards game completion. The actual career is, quite literally and by definition due to rolling starts, a boring procession. The same thing over and over again. A few simple changes and it would be astronomically better.

You pinpoint one of the major issues with this game : its AI.

I'll add the economy and the overall lack of consistency in the organization of the content (missing events, licenses with no use, group of cars or cars that are nearly useless, poor UI design...)

PD uses mostly rolling starts in the Group 3/4 races and the other road car ones they use grid starts. Some have a false start penalty thing where you cannot step on the gas until the race starts.

PD uses mostly rolling starts in the Group 3/4 races and the other road car ones they use grid starts. Some have a false start penalty thing where you cannot step on the gas until the race starts.
Which specific races use grid starts?
I’ve yet to see any, although I am only part way through the “career” at the moment.

Which specific races use grid starts?
I’ve yet to see any, although I am only part way through the “career” at the moment.
Only the Clubman+ races have grid starts (High Speed Ring, Tsukuba and Fuji)

I'm unsure which rally races have grid starts, aside from the Barcelona Rallycross and Sardegna Windmills.

Literally everything else in the game is a rolling start. This was recently discussed here.

Last edited:
For those who don’t like to read.

IMG_5889.jpeg

I agree with the career being boring. As a person who has completed 52% of the career events, I have no desire to do more of them. I stick to custom races now mostly since they upped the payouts in Spec II.

Last edited:
I agree with the career being boring. As a person who has completed 52% of the career events, I have no desire to do more of them. I stick to custom races now mostly since they upped the payouts in Spec II.
Why do they keep adding the Clubman, Sunday and Japanese cups? They need to spice up the challenges. I mean it has been a lot more rewarding with the weekly challenges, but still...

Why do they keep adding the Clubman, Sunday and Japanese cups? They need to spice up the challenges. I mean it has been a lot more rewarding with the weekly challenges, but still...
Maybe because they figure there are people out there that enjoy them? I honestly can't give much of a better answer than that.

Watched this critique video today.....it brought up some interesting points. I do agree, update 1.40 can't be a silver-bullet cure all. If its a start to similar future updates that keep coming down the pipe then awesome. If the next update is simply a handful of car and another menu book then we're just back to where we started. Also, I agree......more chili pepper races.

Well, there said. The weekly challenges are more fun. You gotta admit that.
Personally, I haven't had a ton of fun with them...I just complete them and move on.

If PD would introduce more limited-time events, it'd be far more interesting than revisiting races you've already done.

Rolling starts with a wide spread ensure that the races are always at least "somewhat" interesting. The only other ways to do that are to use heavy rubber-banding (see GT2) or require the player to try to exact match their own skill level to the AI's (like games with the 100% system). No system is perfect.

Rolling starts with a wide spread ensure that the races are always at least "somewhat" interesting.
I know I’ll get some poo emojis on this one, but I really don’t mind the rolling starts. I just wish they were more challenging. I prefer the rolling starts over the grid starts because with the grid starts I’m always in one of the top 3 places before the end of lap one, usually first place and it gets boring driving around by myself with the whole field behind me and no interaction at all with them.
At least with the rolling starts spread wide I have the opportunity to have something that resembles a race in having to overtake almost all AI in the field since you’re usually put in last or close to last place. There’s always that chance they’ll actually provide a bit of a challenge especially on tighter tracks with their horrible tactics of dive bombing, pit maneuvers and whatnot, so you have to pay attention as opposed to the grid starts where you’re just up there in front by yourself 95% of the time waiting for the race to end.

It’s flaming poo emoji

I agree, just wish we had more of the other for variety. Blowing everyone away in a grid start is a welcome change of pace due solely to the lack of variety in my opinion.

Last edited:
Rolling starts with a wide spread ensure that the races are always at least "somewhat" interesting. The only other ways to do that are to use heavy rubber-banding (see GT2) or require the player to try to exact match their own skill level to the AI's (like games with the 100% system). No system is perfect.
They ensure the races are almost always boring. You are driving past rolling roadblocks rather than actually racing. The Cluban Cup+ races are good examples of interesting races, so PD absolutely can do it. The wide spread starts are supposed to make the game more accessible to people of varying skill levels, but adjustable AI difficulty does the same thing but much better.

They ensure the races are almost always boring. You are driving past rolling roadblocks rather than actually racing. The Cluban Cup+ races are good examples of interesting races, so PD absolutely can do it. The wide spread starts are supposed to make the game more accessible to people of varying skill levels, but adjustable AI difficulty does the same thing but much better.
I agree that the Clubman Cup + races are much more interesting... for me. I'm a high-A driver. For most people, either they would be pointless or they'd have to resort to rubber-banding, which people would complain about too.

Adjustable AI difficulty can work, to an extent, but as seen in... most games that use it, it's really hard to get every difficulty level driving at the same pace on every track, and it can be really frustrating to the player to have to keep adjusting it. I do wish that the peppers did more, though (is there ever going to be a 3-pepper difficulty? hello? is this game ever going to be finished...?)

@RikkiGT-R, I'm glad to hear you don't regret your decision to buy it again. :)

Rolling starts, chase the rabbit and rubberbanding are indeed annoying. For this reason, I largely ignore that part of the game and only complete the weekly events. It's a shame but at least there are plenty of other things to do, for me at least.

Last edited:
Rolling starts are honestly likely done so that there can be artificial challenge due to GT's historically terrible AI. Otherwise, grid starts will make those even easier. The chili races, like Clubman Cup+, have better AI, thus they're given actual grid starts.

If Sophy has been perfected, that'd be probably the time grid starts will be given if races make use of that AI.

Last edited:
grid starts will make those even easier
Grid starts vs a perfect traction AI are actually more difficult for us humans.
Just for example Super GT always changed TCS to higher than 0 for his tests vs Sophy and after the first few moments back to 0 just to not lose (as much) time as his throttle control otherwise would have caused him. I dont think this kind of TCS changing is what PD was having in mind.

Personally I dont mind roling or grid start, and I dont mind not having qualifications, but without qualifications the starting method doesnt matter, it will always be a chase the rabbit event (which I prefer over races that I am starting in the lead and leave the AI behind).

So I bought GT7 again recently and to be fair I’m absolutely loving Gran Turismo once more. So much content for a solely-offline (single player) gamer like me.

Having said that, one small niggle holds the game back from greatness:

Rolling Starts

I really cannot stand these and don’t know why PD insist on having them in every damned race. What’s worse is that I usually start 27-ish seconds behind 1st place, absolutely decimate that lead over the first half of the race, then mysteriously chip away at the last couple of seconds to win by a fine margin by the end. If P1 is so slow that I catch him within 2 laps then I should streak ahead over the ensuing laps. But it’s usually extremely close once I catch up.
It’s so clearly fabricated (rubber banding) to make for an “exciting” race, but it’s absurd.

Why not even give us the option of grid starts? So what if we win by a landslide? Those of us who enjoy the competition will choose lesser cars to make the race closer. I find myself having to pick an overpowered car each time in order to make the starting gap feel fair. But flying past all cars but P1 really quickly makes it unrealistic.

I’m aware I can create custom races myself with grid starts and all manner of restrictions for some genuinely thrilling racing (and I do), but these don’t count towards game completion. The actual career is, quite literally and by definition due to rolling starts, a boring procession. The same thing over and over again. A few simple changes and it would be astronomically better.
It's good to hear something positive for a change, I mean, for the fact you are enjoying GT once more part at least. I was worried about the rolling starts even before the reveal trailer and i said to my friend: "I hope we have grid starts again!". 1 second into the trailer and it shows a grid start. (Yay!). Then boom the actual meat of the "career" is the crappy chase the rabbit time trials. I was saying the same stuff you were saying and I know they won't fix the career mode now until GT8 and even then it's more than likely going to be a scuffed career mode again.

As someone has mentioned, the Clubman cup plus races are the ones to go for. Grid starts and close racing, even with the seemingly odd AI which isn't Sophy and isn't crap like the normal AI.

There was article about Sophy that rolling starts are used because of standard AI, but with Sophy it could be changed for more realistic race scenarios. So I guess either in GT7 when they will add sophy to career mode or GT8 we will finally have normal races without one lane rolling starts and chase the rabbit scenarios.

Personally, I haven't had a ton of fun with them...I just complete them and move on.

If PD would introduce more limited-time events, it'd be far more interesting than revisiting races you've already done.
Cool, more events that we already have, this week.

Grid starts vs a perfect traction AI are actually more difficult for us humans.
Just for example Super GT always changed TCS to higher than 0 for his tests vs Sophy and after the first few moments back to 0 just to not lose (as much) time as his throttle control otherwise would have caused him. I dont think this kind of TCS changing is what PD was having in mind.

Personally I dont mind roling or grid start, and I dont mind not having qualifications, but without qualifications the starting method doesnt matter, it will always be a chase the rabbit event (which I prefer over races that I am starting in the lead and leave the AI behind).
Harder because of the more distance the leading one in chase the rabbit event than the grid start ones.

Cool, more events that we already have, this week.
Well they finally added the X2019 Red Bull Menu Book, but I'm sure it was the fans idea for PD to make a huge update like this. You know, like a surprise.

I can't agree that it's close to perfect. Update 1.40 got us where the game should have been AT LAUNCH.

Now... I'm not gonna complain too much because they could have done nothing at all. But it's far from perfect... It's still a very enjoyable game to play.

PSVR2 and FFB improvements are HIGH on my list of improvements needed.

Back