It's a bit dead in here.... Recently started playing again.

• Thread starter FussyFez
  • 19 comments
United Kingdom
England
Tumbleweed.gif

Well it's quiet over in this corner of GTPlanet isn't it...

I've had LFS for years now, used to use the keyboard, but a week or so ago I found my old laptop with it installed, and realised my dfgt works with it.

I'm utterly addicted to going very sideways in this game now....

Lots of mods/skins available for the cars, plus engine/drivetrain swap tools, and my favourite, extra (huge amounts) steering lock mod.

I'm currently abusing an RB25 engined S13 that revs to 10k produces massive torque at about 4k then over 600bhp at 8.5k. With 67° of steering :cool:

Also never used the layout editor before now. Managed to make a mock up of bihoku, also downloaded ebisu (all tracks) layouts for the autocross carpark.

Anyone still dabble with this anymore?

Or am I a loner in my love for this great sim?

This is the only game I use my G25 to play, but I haven't been on it in months. However, I'm prepared to dive in on the day S3 materializes.

I've read about S3, am I correct in thinking it adds the scirroco and Rockingham? Or was that an S2 update?

I've literally pulled the laptop out an loaded up what is on there from about 3 years ago, so it's no where near up to date.

Did the tyre update get released?

Sorry their website is a bit of a minefield.

I think there's more to S3 than just the Scirocco and Rockingham, but the game is on hold indefinitely until Scawen sorts out the new tire model and physics. Barely anything has changed from 3 years ago, although you should check out the open layout tracks (hold CTRL and click on X or Y) if you haven't tried them yet.

I think there's more to S3 than just the Scirocco and Rockingham, but the game is on hold indefinitely until Scawen sorts out the new tire model and physics. Barely anything has changed from 3 years ago, although you should check out the open layout tracks (hold CTRL and click on X or Y) if you haven't tried them yet.
Sweet I'll have a look 👍

Been using shift+U for the layout/object editor.

I got LFS last year, but I have been playing it with a keyboard so far. Recently I tried it with a wheel and I am amazed how similar it is to driving a real car. Despite the fictional cars I find the FFB and driving feel is more natural than almost all of the more popular Simbin/ISImotor sims (rFactor, GTL, GTR2, Race07, etc). And this is without any tinkering whatsoever. Just set your steering lock and you're go. Whereas with rFactor you have to hunt for RealFeel and do heaps of tinkering in notepad for EVERY SINGLE car :crazy: Kudos to the LFS team 👍

The only complaint that I have is there is no FFB when going over rumble strips. I read on the official forums (https://www.lfs.net/forum/thread/82152-G27-no-rumble) that kerbing vibrations are a "canned" effect and is actually not present in real life. The vibrations you feel when driving over them is from the car's body going up and down, not the steering shaking. LFS only simulates the forces acting on the steering rack so it doesn't have it.

In ISImotor sims you have a choice of FFB level from Off > Low (only steering rack) > Medium (steering + kerbs) > High (steering + kerbs + brake vibration) > Full (steering + kerbs + brake vibration + steering vibration + engine vibration). It seems to me LFS is equivalent of Low. Personally, I can see why they decide to do this and I'm not disputing it's more realistic. But I'd like the option to toggle kerb effects on/off (equivalent Medium). I don't like too much canned FFB either (never used High/Full), but IMO in a simulator sometimes you have to compensate for missing information through FFB. It's hard to gauge how close you are getting to the kerbs without any cues whatsoever.

In any case, LFS is still an excellent sim, with or without kerb effects. I can't believe how old it is and I wonder how good the FFB is in even newer sims such as AC and rF2 :drool:

Wow, I don't own a VR set or really want to, but that's very impressive and LFS has the perfect sort of modest-fidelity high-framerate graphics to pull it off without much performance penalty.

I've been doing some more test drives with LFS lately, trying out my T-GT wheel with it. I kinda feel this game is made for older Logitech G wheels. The FFB feels a lot less detailed with the T-GT for some reason. I've turned down the force to 20 to avoid clipping, but that signature LFS tyre flex feel is gone. With my old G25 that is easily the best part of the driving experience. Kinda disappointing.

I also bought the S3 license and tried the Rockingham track. So much variations! Most of them feels pretty cookie cutter though. Also the position scoreboard tower always has dithering issues in the first lap for some reason. Tried turning down graphics settings with no improvement. It's odd because no other track does this and my PC is more than powerful enough (can run AC at medium settings no problem).

Unfortunately the devs seems to hit a slow phase again. No updates since January of last year :indiff: I'm still a staunch supporter of LFS because of how much it can do with so little, but it's quickly becoming a relic at this point.

I've been doing some more test drives with LFS lately, trying out my T-GT wheel with it. I kinda feel this game is made for older Logitech G wheels. The FFB feels a lot less detailed with the T-GT for some reason. I've turned down the force to 20 to avoid clipping, but that signature LFS tyre flex feel is gone. With my old G25 that is easily the best part of the driving experience. Kinda disappointing.
I've played LFS with Logitech DFGT,Thrustmaster T150,Fanatec CSL Elite and LFS feels great with all three wheels.
In the beginning with CSL Elite there was a problem(not enough tension in the belt and the feeling was not so good)but after the mod gives the best feeling of the three wheels.

I spent about a half hour wiping down my G25 (no joke) and got LFS up and running on my laptop last night. The new expanded free roam areas are pretty nifty. :)

The driving experience is still as good as ever. Driving on the limit with sim equipment for the first time in years kinda invigorated me on a trip over the hills to Dubuque, Iowa today. LFS has always been a confidence-builder for me and good practice for heel-toe downshifting -- the Legacy's pedals aren't very good for it, though. I found it interesting how often I ended up rev-match downshifting without heel-toe in LFS, since I've now built up a pedal-hopping habit from years of daily-driving a lot of winding, hilly roads!

If we're never really going to get a complete game out of this, I just wish there was a better and livelier mod community. About all I've found is dead download links on pages of poorly-shaded ripped models with tacky "YouTube drifter" style rims and slammed suspensions, peppered with incorrect model names and duplicates.

I found two YouTube videos showing a BL Legacy B4 model, which would be wonderful to have, but one didn't care to share a link and the other offered a dead link. I guess I missed the boat.

Indeed it is. Even now the driving in LFS is still as sublime as ever. I'm also amazed at how quick and easy it is to download mods from the game UI.

At the same time, I feel like the procedurally generated engine sounds has shown its age, and is very grating to drive with for long periods of time.

Wonder if we will ever see track mod support in the future?

Back