I've collected all these road cars: now what?

• Thread starter Bullwinkle
  • 30 comments
United States
United States
Grand_Slammin
So I have a garage full of all these road cars that I won or picked up for whatever reason, and there is absolutely no way they'll ever be worth racing. At this point, anything less than a Gr.3 car isn't worth using. So what in the world are we supposed to do with anything that is classified as a road car? I'm kinda bummed that there aren't a ton more "amateur" racing events for all the cars we collected. Stuff like the Porsche and the Mini Cooper races, for example. I guess I expected there to be a lot more events like those that would be worth more in winnings than custom races.

Any suggestions?

Yes, more events are needed but I've had no issues finding something to do with road cars. Ironically it's cars above Gr3 where I'm struggling. Thank heavens for ballast!

Yes, more events are needed but I've had no issues finding something to do with road cars. Ironically it's cars above Gr3 where I'm struggling. Thank heavens for ballast!
Can you give me some suggestions? What are you running with your road cars? Are you re-racing the earlier races from the café menu? Something else?

Last edited:
Can you give me some suggestions? What are you running with your road cars? Are you re-racing the earlier races from the café menu? Something else?
Some of the chili races (Clubman Cup+) can be a good test of your road cars. Tsukuba is a grid start race, has some quick AI and is a decent challenge. The Brands Gr.4 events are alright, there's the WTC600 that can be a good test of your road cars. It's limited and hopefully they add classics like FR/FF/MR Challenge, Tuner Challenge, etc.

If you've completed menu 39 you should have access to a couple more races, but for the most part it's either setting up a custom race that pays nearly nothing or repeating old races. Which is a shame.

I look at the car and imagine the potential highest cup I can get it to win. Then i search for valid events to win small sums and use that to upgrade he car until it's ready for the target event. It's a bit like the early game loop from most GT games. I did S2000 for the Asia cup although I think I can possibly take that to WTC 600 level if I tune it right. It's really fun getting to know the cars and really feeling the progression.

Don't get me wrong, I want more content and I want better rewards but I am not finding it hard to have fun before these things arrive.

I look at the car and imagine the potential highest cup I can get it to win. Then i search for valid events to win small sums and use that to upgrade he car until it's ready for the target event. It's a bit like the early game loop from most GT games. I did S2000 for the Asia cup although I think I can possibly take that to WTC 600 level if I tune it right. It's really fun getting to know the cars and really feeling the progression.

Don't get me wrong, I want more content and I want better rewards but I am not finding it hard to have fun before these things arrive.
I've been getting a real kick out of some of the hatchbacks and "starter" cars if you will. Demio, Swift Sport, the Toyota S-FR is a blast to drive, of course the Miata. Getting them to the level of being able to compete in some of the 550/600 events is a lot of quick fun.

Quite why they've completely gone away from the way the career usually works, Beginner league -> loads of events, Amateur League -> loads of events etc etc, I'll never know, at least I used to be able to take a lowly hatchback and run it through the beginner league, now I have to fanny about looking through all the circuits to find an event.

It's quite some feat to make it worse than GT1 in that respect.

I've been getting a real kick out of some of the hatchbacks and "starter" cars if you will. Demio, Swift Sport, the Toyota S-FR is a blast to drive, of course the Miata. Getting them to the level of being able to compete in some of the 550/600 events is a lot of quick fun.
Agreed, it's a shame to a degree that we need to make our own fun but the bones are there so support it. One thing that makes this harder though is all the region locked events. Just removing the region lock would open up a lot of variety. There aren't many US road cars I specifically like so that's a third of the courses ruled out already!

I kind of see where you're coming from.
I used to love the road cars in earlier Gran Turismos, but since then my setup has improved (playseat with Fanatec gear) and we're often doing time trials in race cars with a friend. Due to that I get no enjoyment in driving the road cars, which are too slow, soft and have poor handling compared to the race cars.
Gr4 and up are all a joy to drive, but the sensation of having very limited grip like on the road cars, just gets me frustrated now...

Different throws for different foes. I like the Gr3 and Gr4 cars too but I just don't get to stamp any identity on them. Maybe try a top road car and get that to Gr level? Something like an old NSX or road Porsche?

You can make any race your little heart desires in custom race .
Or never mind forget it , Pd please remove this feature and arcade mode and just give us pre made events since thats all people care about. \s
Does the game need more events , yeah I think every track should have a Sunday Cup , Clubman Cup , Clubman cup + .
I also think people crying about there not being any GR anything events need to learn how to use a damn menu and select it in custom race .
The race not paying anything means nothing when all you want to do is race Gr2 cars for fun.

Or never mind forget it , Pd please remove this feature and arcade mode and just give us pre made events since thats all people care about. \s
Does the game need more events , yeah I think every track should have a Sunday Cup , Clubman Cup , Clubman cup + .
I also think people crying about there not being any GR anything events need to learn how to use a damn menu and select it in custom race .
The race not paying anything means nothing when all you want to do is race Gr2 cars for fun.
Custom Races pay out means that you can't progress a car from scratch to competitive. You'd need 4 or 5 decent races just for Weight 1 and some shoes. I kinda agree about the Gr2 comment but that's a bit of a crazy spin on what is clearly a dreary situation.

Also, it's always going to be Custom Races and earn scratch or the World Cup and win 450k which is exactly what you need to try another Gr3 car. It makes custom races a hard sell and they have not even addressed them yet. Fingers crossed.

Here we go again banging the custom race drum.Poor payouts.But that's OK,we can race any car anywhere.😞

Last edited:
Just remember, 300 people spent 10 years to make a game that has a (way) worse career mode than the first GT game.

This is true but at some point you need to make money if you want to keep just driving different cars for fun. I'm sure people want to drive that Alfa in the Hagerty dealership for fun but it costs 20 million and doing custom races to earn it will take 100 hours. It'll be gone long before you can afford it.

There are only so many hours to play the game, you can't be both doing races for fun just to drive cars AND earning the credits to buy a lot of those cars you want to drive for fun.

Last edited:
Something fun you could try is fitting a customizable suspension to some of those aforementioned road cars and re-entering events you’ve completed, but intentionally pick cars dramatically under the required/recommended PP threshold. Slowly tune the car each run (and don’t restart/back out, at least reward yourself with some credits for your time even if you’re initially landing last place) until it’s just competitive enough to win. You might end up building something you find you really like to drive, which you could then also use for casual lobbies if you’re into that too. If you find you start liking a particular car you could take some time to make a livery for it, or search for something in the showcase that might give it more character.

6B2756A5-CEA5-49CD-8055-432CB3DAABB2.jpeg

C782DF22-DB57-4745-B9F9-4C51726FE1E2.jpeg

That’s how I’ve been playing 7 once I unlocked tuning and GT Auto, and realized how fast I was blowing through the Cafe/Menus. I’ve made absolute weapons out of my Integra and 2017 Swift, and I’m currently working on a build for my Levin to eventually win the WTC 600 championship. I personally don’t go any higher than sports tires (and that’s partly a preference for driving feel), and specifically now with the Corolla I’ve been limiting myself to one upgrade part per entry to keep the credit income at a positive rate, and one tick on any particular part’s setting (except for ride height and spring rate, I do one on each side of the car for balance sake) per race/round.

This has gotten me a lot more mileage out of the cars I’ve been thrown early game, a small few of which I now have a more personal attachment to. This generally has been my play style since midway through GT6’s life cycle (long after I’d completed it’s relatively boring campaign), mostly for seasonal events, since that was the only real interesting stuff coming in at the time. It’s been making the wait for updates and grind (while slower) for legend cars more tolerable and interesting.

No clue if any of that would be fun for you, but it’s what works for me. Happy hunting!

:gtpflag:

Last edited:
Balance for foad cars IS DEAD! I have bought McLaren MP4 12c right now, and I tested this car in WTC700 (10 laps). All AI opponents on Gr4 cars. And what do I see? I have fuel only for 3 laps! I tuned fuel economy to 6/6 and still can't get 5 laps (for 1 pit-stop). It has 609hp. I can tune Gr4 to 530hp and fuel economy for 5 laps.
There is no way to win with 2 pit-stops.
So all road cars can't win even Gr4, cos of fuel limit. Only champs has races w/o fuel count.

Road cars with 600+hp are useless. I don't dream about Ferrari FXX K (2014) anymore.
GT7 needs a lot of races with normal fuel balance.

Last edited:
Some of the chili races (Clubman Cup+) can be a good test of your road cars. Tsukuba is a grid start race, has some quick AI and is a decent challenge. The Brands Gr.4 events are alright, there's the WTC600 that can be a good test of your road cars. It's limited and hopefully they add classics like FR/FF/MR Challenge, Tuner Challenge, etc.

If you've completed menu 39 you should have access to a couple more races, but for the most part it's either setting up a custom race that pays nearly nothing or repeating old races. Which is a shame.
I agree that it’s a shame. We spend all this time (being forced) to collect all these cars, but the only final destination seems to be funneling everyone to the same five Gr.2/3 cars to race online. I doubt they update many more lower level races, but for a “career mode” I would have enjoyed the challenge of having to work for the faster cars. By the time I purchased and tuned a new road car it was made obsolete by the café menu races.

Im actually just driving road cars for fun in GT7. Doesn't have to be races either, just trying to get lower times in time trial. I couldn't do it in Sport as the physics were really lifeless for road cars as a whole.

Im actually just driving road cars for fun in GT7. Doesn't have to be races either, just trying to get lower times in time trial. I couldn't do it in Sport as the physics were really lifeless for road cars as a whole.
Good point. I just got my first racing wheel and at first I was “meh” about it until I fiddled with the settings, and now “Holy cow!” I’ve been time trialing just to learn the wheel and the physics and it’s been a blast. I’ll have to pull out some of my road cars just for the experience of it.

I kind of see where you're coming from.
I used to love the road cars in earlier Gran Turismos, but since then my setup has improved (playseat with Fanatec gear) and we're often doing time trials in race cars with a friend. Due to that I get no enjoyment in driving the road cars, which are too slow, soft and have poor handling compared to the race cars.
Gr4 and up are all a joy to drive, but the sensation of having very limited grip like on the road cars, just gets me frustrated now...
I see what you are trying to say but can't disagree more.
The better your racing gear/setup, more enjoyable and informative is the ride in low grip, weight transfer prone road cars. In those cars you squeeze the most in a wheel/pedal setup, as a racing car, the aero and massive grip is there always, no matter if you are using a controller or a wheel. Of course you always will be faster, have a better fuel consumption and lower tire wear with a better setup/gear, because you have a better feeling, more precision and control on steering, throttle and braking.

I use the Toyota TRD Pro for the rally races. I use it because an engine rebuild and rigidity are cheaper on a road car than a GrB car

As much as I love driving any car in GT7, it really pisses me off that custom races give laughable payouts, and that they are way to unbalanced when it comes to a hard difficulty random opponents. How come in a 5 laps race on Laguna Seca, the game puts me up against two Ferrari F8 Tributos in my stock Nissan Z 2022?

I really hope PD raises custom race payouts by a great margin, and balances AI cars, along with letting us setup our own championships with similar payouts as the current preset championships. That or maybe make it like in Forza Horizon where you can enter any event with any car, and the game adapts that event to the car you are driving.

Balance for foad cars IS DEAD! I have bought McLaren MP4 12c right now, and I tested this car in WTC700 (10 laps). All AI opponents on Gr4 cars. And what do I see? I have fuel only for 3 laps! I tuned fuel economy to 6/6 and still can't get 5 laps (for 1 pit-stop). It has 609hp. I can tune Gr4 to 530hp and fuel economy for 5 laps.
There is no way to win with 2 pit-stops.
So all road cars can't win even Gr4, cos of fuel limit. Only champs has races w/o fuel count.

Road cars with 600+hp are useless. I don't dream about Ferrari FXX K (2014) anymore.
GT7 needs a lot of races with normal fuel balance.
This! I got the expensive McLaren P1 thinking that, as a hybrid, at least it would be fuel efficient. Nope. They have great HP but that’s about it.

I tried to race against some Gr.4 cars in my trusty favorites and felt like I was driving backwards against them. And the fuel efficiency?! I got the Pagano just for fun but it’s too powerful for the road car races but can’t compete in the higher grade races because it’s a two-pit-stop car. So I guess I can do custom races with it, but the one I set up was pretty lame.

I see what you are trying to say but can't disagree more.
The better your racing gear/setup, more enjoyable and informative is the ride in low grip, weight transfer prone road cars. In those cars you squeeze the most in a wheel/pedal setup, as a racing car, the aero and massive grip is there always, no matter if you are using a controller or a wheel. Of course you always will be faster, have a better fuel consumption and lower tire wear with a better setup/gear, because you have a better feeling, more precision and control on steering, throttle and braking.
I get what you mean and I do agree that the improved feedback from a good setup does help controlling and managing every aspect of a road car better, but it's just that I don't enjoy those aspects :)
Yes, I can feel the limit when the tires start to lose grip in my steering wheel, weight transfer makes a lot of sense and so on, but I personally just get a lot more enjoyment in racing, when there is more grip and less weight transfer :)

So I have a garage full of all these road cars that I won or picked up for whatever reason, and there is absolutely no way they'll ever be worth racing. At this point, anything less than a Gr.3 car isn't worth using. So what in the world are we supposed to do with anything that is classified as a road car? I'm kinda bummed that there aren't a ton more "amateur" racing events for all the cars we collected. Stuff like the Porsche and the Mini Cooper races, for example. I guess I expected there to be a lot more events like those that would be worth more in winnings than custom races.

Any suggestions?
Turn them into racecars. 🤷‍♂️

Back