IZOD IndyCar Series | Cancelled, S2 to Follow in January 2012

  • Thread starter Thread starter cgr-10
  • 1,084 comments
  • 42,907 views

Where should we go from here?

  • Cancel the season due to lack of drivers/organization, restart in S2 December Signups, January Start

    Votes: 9 90.0%
  • Keep on going with low driver count on Friday nights

    Votes: 1 10.0%

  • Total voters
    10
Status
Not open for further replies.
I am feeling really REALLY bad for what happened. Had it come to my knowledge that I was lagging, I would not even have lined up in the starting grid. It feels like every other incident in the race only happened because I lit the fire of mayhem before the first turn.

I am reconsidering my participation in the series. I certainly do not want it to happen again. If I am found lagging again at Madrid, first US race, I will open my spot for another driver.

Once again, I want to apologize for the mess I have caused. Should that be possible, I would give my non-damaged wheels [only one, unfortunately] to fix those I helped damage.

Hoping no one is uncontrolably angered at me,
 
Just to be clear: you have to go a minimum of 2 laps on each compound? :sly:

I crashed on the 5th turn and had to drive the entire way on Hards. :sly:

My DFGT (driving force GT)'s brake pedal likes to rub, so I stuffed a cloth inside the housing. Does anybody know whats best for this? I know there's a ball type you can stuff in there. Whats it called?
 
Tom, try and join.

I'll do a little summary in a while. Just working on Pace Car stuff.
 
Tom, try and join.

I'll do a little summary in a while. Just working on Pace Car stuff.

Okay, thanks mate. I'll try now.
 
The UK start date has also been delayed to fall in line with the US start date, also due to connection problems. There will be another optional pre season race next week, details to follow on OP.
 
You guys doing anything? Not sure if I'll be up for racing till 10:30 est yet...still kinda ill. I can drive right now though.
 
@ drum404

I'll be on tonight, if you want to join me for some indycar racing and testing.
 
OP updated with IndyCar Shootout details for next week, tonights results will be up soon. Been informed by Knelly that it was a pretty dramatic race.
 
Just to be clear: you have to go a minimum of 2 laps on each compound? :sly:

I crashed on the 5th turn and had to drive the entire way on Hards. :sly:

My DFGT (driving force GT)'s brake pedal likes to rub, so I stuffed a cloth inside the housing. Does anybody know whats best for this? I know there's a ball type you can stuff in there. Whats it called?

If you crash on the first lap on a set of tyres, you can still pit, it'll just mean you've only done 1 lap on that compound and you'd have to do another lap on that compound by the end of the race.

e.g I crash on the first lap on hards, I pit at the end of the lap for mediums which I use until the final lap, where I pit and run on hards.
 
Well done on the win tonight Joe, thought you'd dominate :lol:
 
It was a very good night all round. Only thing I want to say right now is Leonardo, don't feel you have to apologise man, and don't feel bad. Nobody was pissed with you, and that is what tonight (and next week) are all about. Let's make the mistakes (we all made some mate) in the Pre Season and get all things ironed out.

We would love you to stay and join the Pre Season next week, then decide. I'm sure there will be testing rooms open over the week if you want to join at any time man.

As for race report, will follow, but right now I just wanna race :gtplanet:
 
It was a very good night all round. Only thing I want to say right now is Leonardo, don't feel you have to apologise man, and don't feel bad. Nobody was pissed with you, and that is what tonight (and next week) are all about. Let's make the mistakes (we all made some mate) in the Pre Season and get all things ironed out.

We would love you to stay and join the Pre Season next week, then decide. I'm sure there will be testing rooms open over the week if you want to join at any time man.

As for race report, will follow, but right now I just wanna race :gtplanet:

I second that, everyone makes mistakes Leonardo you just gotta learn from them. I heard what happened, but since it's pre-season it's not a massive issue,don't feel bad 👍

And ok Knelly, I'll be on GTP until at least 2am. If not I'll add the results you give me tomorrow.
 
Fun race guys and well done to Joe for the win, great performance. I Enjoyed racing at the Indy settings and from where I was it was a very clean race.
If anyone from the UK is reading this..JOIN UP!
 
Got the red FGT. I am ready to race!
 
Got the red FGT. I am ready to race!

Awesome buddy, I assume you got the PM I sent to everybody about the delay? Although we have another pre season event next Wednesday, practice starts at 4pm EST 👍

And just to clarify, after the clocks go back the race time will remain the same. As it does say on the OP '20:00 GMT'
 
Got the PM, I'm not sure about that preseason race, but I'll practice for it anyway.
 
If anybody from the US series wants to know. Madrid practice at 1472-6681-3630-4564-1526
 
sorry about the dnf last night guys. I got what felt like a slight bump on the out lap but when the race started my car would not shift into 7th or go over 145 mph. since i didn't feel any vibration or pulling I didn't think the car could be damaged. Confusion resulted and I dropped out to see if I had inadvertently done something to cause the problem. couldn't get back in after that. I stayed and watched the race though.

I would like to offer two suggestions regarding the pace lap procedure. 1) that the lead cars leave slowly and maintain the speed limit for the entire lap. ( I was in the back and the pack seemed to be pulling away so I accelerated only to have the pack slow suddenly which required evasive action to avoid a collision. And because of this I was bumped by the car trailing me.
2) some one should announce "green flag" at the start. I wasn't sure the race had started since no one lined up double file then I delayed acceleration until I saw the entire pack pull away.

I'm glad I was there though even though the race itself didn't turn out well for me.

edit: the pace car will probably fix the first "problem"
 
Last edited:
Yeah the pace car will fix most of the problems, by keeping the pack together and keeping a good average speed. We could get pole position to shout green flag when he crosses the start finish line? But to be fair, the point of qualifying is so that pole has an advantage over say, 16th :lol:

So were you single file all the way? No double file start? If so I guess it was down to confusion. At least people know now, and it will be much easier on the ovals anyway.

Full results list will be up this evening, the turnout was about 8 or 9 I think. Which isn't too bad considering it was at reasonably short notice and at a bad time for our US drivers 👍
 
If you crash on the first lap on a set of tyres, you can still pit, it'll just mean you've only done 1 lap on that compound and you'd have to do another lap on that compound by the end of the race.

e.g I crash on the first lap on hards, I pit at the end of the lap for mediums which I use until the final lap, where I pit and run on hards.

No, I went another lap with damage then pitted onto the other compound so I wouldnt have to pit again. :sly: Just making sure that was OK.

Seems like it will be a close season once people get the hang of it.
 
I feel kind of relieved to know I didn't piss the hell out of anybody. I will certainly practice rooms along next week and try to fix these issues and be ready to give my best on this series. Just felt bad for ruining races [lesoldham mainly] but it's best for this to happen in the pre-season [not better than not happening, but that is no more an option!].

Ah, just so you guys know: Until monday, I will be at my brother's house. He has a PS3 also, and I can play here, but his internet is even worse than mine, so I won't be very active. I will mostly race B-Spec online a lot. I will keep active on these forums anyway.

Regards,
 
No, I went another lap with damage then pitted onto the other compound so I wouldnt have to pit again. :sly: Just making sure that was OK.

Seems like it will be a close season once people get the hang of it.

Haha nice thinking there :sly:

Remember guys it's Comfort Hards only at the Superspeedways for next week 👍
 
OK guys, sorry this took a little while to put together. Many thanks to those who joined the room, tried to join, and got to race. For one, I had loads of fun last night and thanks to all for making my first hosting experience a pleasant one 👍 Reading the posts, there are no need for apologies, some confusion to sort out with tyres, pit stops and pace cars etc, but the more we practice beforehand the less of an issue it will be come Race 1 in both Schedules. That being said, the beginning of any season that I have experienced is never perfect, but as long as we are persistent and try, I have no doubt this will be an excellent Season to be had.

Anyway, my views on the Race as I watch it back. The Grid started like this:

JoeOfTheFire (Hards)
Mustardaddict (Mediums)
Rhyfelwr79 (Mediums)
dds-Leonardo (Mediums)
Knelly (Hards)
Cowboys965 (Mediums)
Lesoldham (Mediums)
i_RaPidZx_i (Hards)

Pace lap caused a couple of people to gain damage before the race started and Leonardo, Cowboy and myself all had at least front suspension damage. It does look like you were lagging Leonardo (hadn't noticed it before).

Mustard was holding up to Joe on first lap but lost it and dropped down to 6th.

Joe and Berty break away due to others with damage swapping the lead a good few times. Good battle boys.

Lap 3 Lesoldham drops out the race. Rapid, Mustard, Cowboy and Knelly all pit. Cowboy stays on Mediums and Rapid and Knelly change to Mediums, Mustard to Hards.

Lap 4 Leonardo drops out of the race.

Lap 5, after a great heads up battle Joe pits (Onto Mediums) and gives Berty some breathing space. Cowboy also pits (Onto Hards).

Lap 6 Rapid pits.

Lap 7 Rapid pits.

Lap 10 Berty pits (Hards) and Joe passes him while in the pits, and avoiding myself getting lapped :sly:

Lap 10 Knelly pits as he's sick of the suspension damage he has been carrying all race and wanted to break two minutes damage free, and secure fourth spot at this point. Goes a lap down to Joe and Berty though.

Moving onto Lap 13,

Joe with best of 1:53.137
Berty (+13.429) with best of 1:54.421
Mustard (+1:03.653) with best of 1:54.961
Knelly (-1 Lap) with (New) best of 1:59.669 (there it is!)
Rapid (-1 Lap) with best of 1:58.056 (witnessing horrendous purposeful corner cutting!)
Cowboy (-2 Laps) with best of 2:03.761

The gap closed on Joe due to a spin but he managed to keep his place and all finished as above:

Joe - Best lap as above
Berty (+6.420) - Best lap as above
Mustard (+1:00.999) - Best lap as above
Knelly (+3:00.xxx due to crashing into slowed down finishers) - Best lap 1:58.197
Rapid (-2 Laps) - Best lap as above
Cowboy (-3 Laps) - Best lap as above
Leonardo (DNF)
Lesol (DNF)

Apologies but forgot to write down race times, but Joe finished on 31.xx minutes. That's taking into consideration the Pace Lap and 1 Pit Stop.

Great win Joe, and good battle with him Berty. Wish I didn't have to pit three times as could have battled a bit more with Mustard, but solid third place mate.

Tom will update the OP with this guys. Hope to see you for the Speedway Sprints next week 👍
 
Last edited:
I guess I had some trouble with the pace speed aswell. I think I started too slow, instead of quickly reaching the pace speed, thus causing people behind me to crash. Add lag to that, and you got what you saw.

Maybe we could add a rule as follows: in the beginning of the pace lap, drivers should accelerate only 1 second after the driver immediately in his front has done so. With that, we could avoid similar issues.

I stood behind lesoldham for a lap and behind Knelly for a lap also, and I didn't see you lagging much [if I was with a lot of lag, I'd see you lagging a lot]. Therefore, I believe my mistake in not throttling quickly to 70mph was more decisive than the lag itself, maybe.

Whatever that was, it will not happen again.

Regards,
 
@ Knelly, I like the host making a report, made an interesting read with all the times and such. Joe was a clever boy going out on hards first (good thinking).
I think on the pace lap that the drivers should make space as I did if they want to warm Tyres etc.
👍 to the Indyboys.
 
Great report Knelly, thanks for all the info. Despite the problems it sounded like a pretty dramatic and decent race, will be better with a full grid. I'll update the OP 👍
 
The decision to start single file was made during the pace lap if I remember right, due to the final chicane.

The car was hard to hold onto after I span and received damage with 2 1/2 laps to go, but I held on (just). I could barely control the car through Eau Rouge/Raidillon with the damage, and ended up flying through the grass and then nearly off into the barrier there. I also nearly span through Blanchimont on the last lap, getting 2 wheels on the grass.
 
Ah I see Joe, we should be ok for double file everywhere else. OP has been updated with results and a warning regarding corner cutting 👍
 
I think the US series at Madrid should start with single file as well or it will be chaos. It will probably be a demolition derby anyway but I'm sure it will be fun.
 
They start double file, so do we. Even if it does cause more accidents (IRL and in game) :lol:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back