Jaguar Reveals Rebrand for its EV Future (😬)

  • Thread starter Thread starter Famine
  • 535 comments
  • 128,274 views
Its giving me eerielyyy long Lagonda vibes, and that car for its time was an ugly wedge of a mess, but trying to be futuristic, this is just plain horrid.

Ek8vdpIXEAIHhMg.jpg
 
ZEE
Its giving me eerielyyy long Lagonda vibes, and that car for its time was an ugly wedge of a mess, but trying to be futuristic, this is just plain horrid.

Ek8vdpIXEAIHhMg.jpg
… and not for nothing, I could imagine HAL speaking in that car the way cars ā€œtalkā€ to drivers today. ā€œI’m sorry, Dave. I’m afraid to drive that.ā€.
 
Nothing about this says Jaguar. Why not have this?
View attachment 1557376
Going retro was no longer working for the brand. They have to change up and do something completely different to survive. They can try and keep the essence of the 'Jaguar driving experience' without the baggage of trying to look like something from the sixties, which is a tired old trope for them. No one who was buying Jaguars 60 years ago is buying them now, they've got to try and appeal to a different clientele.
 
Going retro was no longer working for the brand. They have to change up and do something completely different to survive. They can try and keep the essence of the 'Jaguar driving experience' without the baggage of trying to look like something from the sixties, which is a tired old trope for them. No one who was buying Jaguars 60 years ago is buying them now, they've got to try and appeal to a different clientele.
Have they ever gone retro though? They've used some styling cues from older cars here and there, but not more than that. I'd say they've been about as retro as BMW.
 
No one who was buying Jaguars 60 years ago is buying them now, they've got to try and appeal to a different clientele.
They need to appeal to someone for them to retain/obtain a clientele. Sadly, I think they're in really big trouble with this rebrand. They've massively overestimated interest and massively underestimated their ability at creating a new design philosophy that works.
 
Have they ever gone retro though? They've used some styling cues from older cars here and there, but not more than that. I'd say they've been about as retro as BMW.
The X300/308 was more or less a continuation of it's predecessors, but I'd argue that the clean-sheet redesign X350 was pretty retro, as was the X200 S Type. But those have been out of production for nearly 20 years now, and nothing they've done since has been retro. Unfortunately, nothing they've done since has been really appealing either. They went from Regal Kitsch to Inelegant Anonymous overnight with the X351 and have never really been able to find their footing in that period. I understand the brand wanting to do a major reset, but I think they leaned in the wrong direction. It's interesting because Range Rover has never lost it's USP but Jaguar definitely has.
 
Going retro was no longer working for the brand. They have to change up and do something completely different to survive. They can try and keep the essence of the 'Jaguar driving experience' without the baggage of trying to look like something from the sixties, which is a tired old trope for them. No one who was buying Jaguars 60 years ago is buying them now, they've got to try and appeal to a different clientele.
While you're not wrong, I'm not sure who this is supposed to appeal to. A large EV with bulky exterior styling, minimalist interior styling and no really clear message other than "this ain't your granddaddy's Jaaaaag" is targeting... ultra-modernists? Cyberpunk cosplayers? People who liked the 1970's idea of what the 2020's would look like, minus the permed hair and polyester flare pants? I just can't figure out what demographic they're going for here.
 
A rare instance when the interior looks better covered up for testing :lol:


untitled_design_1_32.jpg.webp
I dunno. Honestly, I thought the new interior at least looked really good - though from a functionality perspective, the minimalism is probably going to be a considerable downside
 
While you're not wrong, I'm not sure who this is supposed to appeal to. A large EV with bulky exterior styling, minimalist interior styling and no really clear message other than "this ain't your granddaddy's Jaaaaag" is targeting... ultra-modernists? Cyberpunk cosplayers? People who liked the 1970's idea of what the 2020's would look like, minus the permed hair and polyester flare pants? I just can't figure out what demographic they're going for here.
Neither can I, and I can't imagine any demographic being all that enthusiastic about buying a luxury vehicle that doesn't appear to have anything remarkable about it to give you that experience of owning one.
 
Driving a car whose interior is peak minimalism, I find dashboards full of buttons and controls to be really quaint and just a bit outmoded.

Voice control, auto climate and wheel buttons mean I have to interact with the screen on a bare minimum. I like this new Jaguar a lot, inside and proportionally, out. If anything, they should have been more bold with the minimalism inside.
 
VXR
Driving a car whose interior is peak minimalism, I find dashboards full of buttons and controls to be really quaint and just a bit outmoded.

Voice control, auto climate and wheel buttons mean I have to interact with the screen on a bare minimum. I like this new Jaguar a lot, inside and proportionally, out. If anything, they should have been more bold with the minimalism inside.
It be fair, it's pretty much par-for-the-course for any higher-end electric car. It's no more minimalist than a contemporary Tesla, Polestar or BMW i, and only marginally more than a Mercedes EQ, Lotus Eletra or Hyundai Ioniq.
 
It be fair, it's pretty much par-for-the-course for any higher-end electric car. It's no more minimalist than a contemporary Tesla, Polestar or BMW i, and only marginally more than a Mercedes EQ, Lotus Eletra or Hyundai Ioniq.
It really hasn't done any one thing in excess, including minimalism. I think a reasonable criticism of the final product is that it has pushed too many elements to extremes which its contemporaries have pushed one or two. There's something to be said for incrementalism.
 
Ok.... So what do you think now ?












 
Last edited:
Nice of them to angle the license plate holders upwards so the surveillance cameras can see them more easily.
 
Well, I guess Howser could have traded in his Mercedes for this jaguar on Mars.
 
The car reminds me of this:
IMG_0e712866-2f62-4a90-b1ce-bd6f01a2546c.webp


IMG_c0b2be5f-bf5c-435f-80e6-1bacdc2296e7.webp


IMG_c0c78d31-e370-4dd6-81bf-b02244722c8f.webp


mcfarlane-toys-dc-direct-batmobile-the-batman-animated-series-1182467947.webp


s-l1200.webp


IMG_42393d30-6bff-4b3e-b192-6809c23eb129.webp


Which I must admit is my most favorite Batcar ever...










 

Attachments

  • 090458_3_1024x1024.webp
    090458_3_1024x1024.webp
    44.5 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
I honestly don't hate the new car. It seems as though Jaguar have actually tried to make something half-decent this time.
 
It's not a bad looking car, and wish them luck but, it doesn't feel like a Jaguar to me. It's a bit too.. Clinical perhaps? It looks like every other modern car. And I'm sorry but the trend of cars with a camera instead of a back window needs to stop.
 
I don't dislike it, but I also don't see "Jaguar." I get Audi and Nissan vibes.
 
Last edited:
I very much see it as a Jag
A Jag for the digital age, 1s and 0s
Edgy like the cyber truck like the current ionic 5 by Kia, and even the Delorean.

Its the Jag of the EV era


Compared to the Ferrari Luce
This Jag has such presence, and it dymamic even at rest

I love it TBH
I want one









A company dedicated to having 50/50 weight distribution is indicative of their seriousness.
 
Last edited:
I love how for car design we went from insanely aggressive, super sharp edged and black cutouts and plastic cladding everywhere to going way too far back the opposite direction to where even the cars have to look as minimalist as the terrible logos everyone keeps designing. It’s getting pretty annoying honestly. For me car design really peaked in the late 2000s.

At least the Speed Champions LEGO set for this car will be stupidly easy for the designers to put together.

Honest to god, shoot me but I like the Ferrari Luce 1000x more than this.
 
Last edited:
I very much see it as a Jag
A Jag for the digital age, 1s and 0s
Edgy like the cyber truck like the current ionic 5 by Kia, and even the Delorean.

Its the Jag of the EV era


Compared to the Ferrari Luce
This Jag has such presence, and it dymamic even at rest

I love it TBH
I want one









A company dedicated to having 50/50 weight distribution is indicative of their seriousness.

My XE has almost 50/50 weight distribution, so nothing new there.

As for the new car, I really don't like the rear view but actually love all the other views. Apart from the fact that the tyres look oversize compared to the rest of the car.
 
Back