Jaguar to build £700,000 hybrid supercar with Williams

• Thread starter Ardius
  • 67 comments
It looks superb, and it should be made. It even sounds glorious despite of the unconventional twincharged 4cyl motor, and goes like stink.

I have the feeling they are just testing out the general reaction from the press, and people.... this is way too much for a "dead" project. And what was that, at least 3 completed models?

And btw, OMFG THAT IS HAWT....

...ahem.

Jaguar needs to build those. The market is there, and it would be a great halo car. Plus, :drool:

5 models huh. As Furinkazen said, two of the three for sale are probbaly gonna end up in some damn parking garage for the next 20 years in Dubai collecting dust.

The other two will be kept by Jag, so that's a good thing. We have three matte gray/black models, one silver with a stripe, and a blue one with a unique beige/black interior. All are beautiful.

Just give me my 1/18 and 1/43 scale models of this version of the C-X75 and I'll be content I guess. It is said that I may never see one of these in person, though.

Videos just in case anyone missed it;

Yet another failed Jaguar hypercar. I think we're up to four now. The XJR13, the XJ220, the XJR15, and now the CX75. Which means Jaguar has failed in every attempt to make a supercar. Can anyone think of others?

Yet another failed Jaguar hypercar. I think we're up to four now. The XJR13, the XJ220, the XJR15, and now the CX75. Can anyone think of others?

Hey, while the XJ220 didn't meet Jag's expectations in terms of sales, it did at least make it to the market and close to 300 were built :P

Hey, while the XJ220 didn't meet Jag's expectations in terms of sales, it did at least make it to the market and close to 300 were built :P

The XJ220 failed because Jaguar promised potential customers a V12 and 4WD. Customers ended up with RWD and a twin turbo Metro V6 with more lag than a typical Call of Duty server.

The XJ220 failed because Jaguar promised potential customers a V12 and 4WD. Customers ended up with RWD and a twin turbo Metro V6 with more lag than a typical Call of Duty server.

It was closest to a success of any of their attempts, but it wasn't what the buyers wanted, and they had to essentially give the last few cars away at heavily discounted prices. I believe they lost a lot of money on the whole project.

While true, it did still have good performance for the time. IIRC it ended up being a significant amount lighter by ditching the V12 and AWD while gaining more power than the original V12. Of course, customers still didn't get what was promised, so they backed out. Also the economy took a good nose dive at the time, which seems to have killed off other supercars such as the EB110.

Yet another failed Jaguar hypercar. I think we're up to four now. The XJR13, the XJ220, the XJR15, and now the CX75. Which means Jaguar has failed in every attempt to make a supercar. Can anyone think of others?

What's the failure in the C-X75, again? A car that has been VERY well recieved both as a concept, and a prototype that they chose not to do a full production of. Not for lack of interest or sales, but because they don't feel the timing is right for them as a company?

I think your logic is faulty. On what grounds has the CX-75 succeeded?

They successfully developed a working car based on a widely popular concept, that met all their personal benchmarks resulting in an incredibly powerful hybrid car pushing almost 900 HP, while having the emissions of a Prius, as they put it, and being light as hell. This tech will carry out into all future Jags.

The car will see three examples sold to the public, aswell. I'm sure they are already called for, too.

I don't see how it failed anything here.

A business exists to produce products and sell them for profits. Jaguar is likely losing many millions on this project that would probably have been quite profitable if it had come to market fully. And it will be a failure to everyone who could have afforded a production version and wanted one, but cannot have one because Jaguar is not building them. Effectively, the car doesn't exist and that looks like a failure to me.

A business exists to produce products and sell them for profits. Jaguar is likely losing many millions on this project that would probably have been quite profitable if it had come to market fully. And it will be a failure to everyone who could have afforded a production version and wanted one, but cannot have one because Jaguar is not building them. Effectively, the car doesn't exist and that looks like a failure to me.

We'll just have to agree to disagree. I see the technology developed and what was learned from the project, that will trickle down into all future road cars as a win. I'm sure they could have made lots more, but cutting risk and playing it safe could line the pockets better.

I unno.

And I'd say the car exist just as much as any other car in limited numbers. Is that to say the Veneno doesn't exist? Or any car along that line?

TBH I wouldn't call not ending up with a car that's in production a successful outcome.

I don't understand why Jag find this so difficult, as Eunos_Cosmo touched upon most of their supercars earmarked for production have either never seen the light of day or arrived half baked like the XJ220.

Out of those, the XJ220 is the only failure because the final product didn't meet what was promised.

The XJR-13 was never intended to be anything but a LeMans race car. The only reason it never got off the ground & into racing was because of a crash. Even Jaguar doesn't see the only example as the true original after the rebuild.
The XJR-15 was also not a failure. TWR achieved exactly what they wanted with it. If that car was a failure, so was the McLaren F1; similar price range & near similar amount of examples sold.
The car this thread reflects also achieved everything Jaguar wanted.
What's the failure in the C-X75, again? A car that has been VERY well recieved both as a concept, and a prototype that they chose not to do a full production of. Not for lack of interest or sales, but because they don't feel the timing is right for them as a company?
Anytime a manufacturer cites "global economic crisis" as a reason for leaving something, it does typically end up going back to sales.

I'm speaking in terms of actual sales not meeting projected sales, post car making it to the market. Since this car won't reach that, it hasn't failed [the market].

But I see what you are saying.

Out of those, the XJ220 is the only failure because the final product didn't meet what was promised.

The XJR-13 was never intended to be anything but a LeMans race car. The only reason it never got off the ground & into racing was because of a crash. Even Jaguar doesn't see the only example as the true original after the rebuild.
The XJR-15 was also not a failure. TWR achieved exactly what they wanted with it. If that car was a failure, so was the McLaren F1; similar price range & near similar amount of examples sold.
The car this thread reflects also achieved everything Jaguar wanted.

Anytime a manufacturer cites "global economic crisis" as a reason for leaving something, it does typically end up going back to sales.

Jaguar and Williams' goal was to build and sell 250 examples of the C-X75. They did not achieve everything they wanted.

The goal of the XJR-13 was to bring Jaguar back to LeMans. It didn't. It didn't race at all. They had to wait another couple decades before the XJR5 and ultimately 9 finally did the business.

The goal of the XJ220 was to be a lucrative product for Jaguar based on race winning tech and be the fastest road car in history. Call this one for two. Any engineering program that ends with the manufacturer suing it's customers and selling their product for 10% of the original asking price cannot be a sign of success.

The goal of the XJR-15 was....well I don't really know if they had one to be honest. I suppose it's the closest to a success story because I believe it did turn a profit. The Mclaren program made profit and won LeMans, not to mention went on to become 'the' legendary road car. Nobody remembers the XJR-15 because it was basically an XJR-9 with semi-streetable pretensions. Watch any video of a road legal XJR-15 and it's clear it's not really suited for the road. The racing version never, to my knowledge, competed with other cars in Jaguar guise (Nissan used the chassis to some success with the R390). Maybe not a complete failure, but hardly a success. Even the simple F40 greatly overshadowed the Jag. Comparing the Mclaren and TWR/Jag program is silly.

Jaguar can blame whatever and whoever they like. Bugatti, a brand with probably less cache than Jaguar, has had no trouble selling cars for many millions of dollars. If Lexus can sell a car for $400,000 in this 'global economic recession' there should be no reason Jaguar couldn't sell this car too. In fact supercar prices continue to rise to previously unheard of levels even as the economy is in the tank. The market is still strong for them. I think they played it safe by not releasing it or were afraid of something, possibly comparisons between it's car and the P1, LaFerrari, 918, and Huayra not being in Jag's favor. That's my guess.

Last edited:
According to some automotive sources, the working prototypes are going to be up for purchase. The opportunity is too much to pass up.

Jaguar and Williams' goal was to build and sell 250 examples of the C-X75. They did not achieve everything they wanted.
So they didn't achieve the sales figures. Nothing more than a tiny con in an otherwise impressive final build similar to that of the Veyron; features once thought impossible to be combined, yet now achieved.
The goal of the XJR-13 was to bring Jaguar back to LeMans. It didn't. It didn't race at all. They had to wait another couple decades before the XJR5 and ultimately 9 finally did the business.
Still wasn't a failure. The car suffered a crash that unfortunately ended it. Had that crash not happened (& judging by how the current car is as close they tried to get to original example), it could have been a very successful racer.
The goal of the XJ220 was to be a lucrative product for Jaguar based on race winning tech and be the fastest road car in history. Call this one for two. Any engineering program that ends with the manufacturer suing it's customers and selling their product for 10% of the original asking price cannot be a sign of success.
Read the first sentence of my last post....
The goal of the XJR-15 was....well I don't really know if they had one to be honest. I suppose it's the closest to a success story because I believe it did turn a profit. The Mclaren program made profit and won LeMans, not to mention went on to become 'the' legendary road car. Nobody remembers the XJR-15 because it was basically an XJR-9 with semi-streetable pretensions. Watch any video of a road legal XJR-15 and it's clear it's not really suited for the road. The racing version never, to my knowledge, competed with other cars in Jaguar guise (Nissan used the chassis to some success with the R390). Maybe not a complete failure, but hardly a success. Even the simple F40 greatly overshadowed the Jag. Comparing the Mclaren and TWR/Jag program is silly.
I'm not comparing the history of 2, genius.

When you compare the examples produced & the price of each, the XJR-15 was just as successful as the F1 in the economy; both produced in 50-60 examples & sold for $1 million each. The only difference between the 2 is that the F1 went on to be a bigger icon, but the fact Jaguar was able to sell 50 of these...
jaguar-xjr-9-lm-02.jpg

in a a barely street-legal trim at $1 million a piece shows the car was far from a failure.

I can't think of a single car of this caliber (road-legal GT1) that sold anywhere close to that besides perhaps the CLK GTR (which was then tainted as the most expensive lemon).

Jaguar can blame whatever and whoever they like. Bugatti, a brand with probably less cache than Jaguar, has had no trouble selling cars for many millions of dollars. If Lexus can sell a car for $400,000 in this 'global economic recession' there should be no reason Jaguar couldn't sell this car too. In fact supercar prices continue to rise to previously unheard of levels even as the economy is in the tank. The market is still strong for them. I think they played it safe by not releasing it or were afraid of something, possibly comparisons between it's car and the P1, LaFerrari, 918, and Huayra not being in Jag's favor. That's my guess.
Stop & take a look at the companies who write the checks for Bugatti & Lexus. Take into account that neither company makes a profit on either car.

Volkswagen & Toyota can afford to build such ludicrous supercars & suffer no sort of profit because they have an income of billions & billions of dollars to offset 1 car each. Jaguar's parent company doesn't.

Great post:tup: These reasons are exactly why I question what Jaguar is trying to do. Oh and don't forget their venture (half-hearted) with ALMS and GTE which they pulled the plug on soon after joining. I think it is a money issue and commitment issue due to the first reason.

The XJR-15 was just done to use up some spare Jaguar V12 engines and race tubs as a road machine. Jaguar got out of it exactly what they put into it, and they barely did any of the heavy lifting anyway since it was mostly TWR's work. That their reach wasn't anywhere near as high as what they were trying to accomplish with the XJ220 doesn't make it a failure any more than the (designed under similar circumstances) Lister Storm was.

Comparing the XJR-15 to the Storm is not doing it any favors...

Now I'm curious what your standard for a car being a success is; because setting out to only build a handful of cars at a very high price using readily accessible parts in order to turn a profit, and then selling those handful of cars fairly easily (and continuing to take special orders for the car over the next 15 years at even greater profit), not to mention then using those cars as the basis for a pretty successful race car, isn't something I would consider a failure.

And that's not far removed from what happened with the XJR-15, except part of the purchase price of that car was used to fund a gentleman's racing series with a prize at the end.

Back