Japan’s New Private Racetrack Looks Straight Out of Gran Turismo

• Thread starter Famine
  • 39 comments
I wonder about the safety of this track. The hairpin at the end of the long straight, has a shorter run-off zone as the bigg run-off zone in the center of the track, were this is actually not as much necessary as for the long straight. If a car get here in the breaking zone somehow airborne, than it will crash with almost full speed into the barrier or even in the curved hairpin. :(

Besides.. oft course the rest looks great and I would love to park one of my big-5 Ferraris there and to make some laps :)

I wonder about the safety of this track. The hairpin at the end of the long straight, has a shorter run-off zone as the bigg run-off zone in the center of the track, were this is actually not as much necessary as for the long straight. If a car get here in the breaking zone somehow airborne, than it will crash with almost full speed into the barrier or even in the curved hairpin. :(

Besides.. oft course the rest looks great and I would love to park one of my big-5 Ferraris there and to make some laps :)
Fear is the mind killer. Enjoy your life, be smart...but never engage with fear.

I have a 5 speed manual 1998 Nissan Sentra I put Ferrari badges on as a joke....I would take it here.

🤣

I wonder about the safety of this track. The hairpin at the end of the long straight, has a shorter run-off zone as the bigg run-off zone in the center of the track, were this is actually not as much necessary as for the long straight.
As it's not a racetrack (as in no one is ever going to be racing on it) it's not that much of an issue at all, the right-hand turn before the hairpin and the run-off ahead of the corner is more than enough to get your braking right.
If a car get here in the breaking zone somehow airborne, than it will crash with almost full speed into the barrier or even in the curved hairpin. :(
Very, very, very unlikely to happen, as nothing at all is going to get you airborne.
It's great to drive, even if my experience is limited to a virtual drive.

I have a 5 speed manual 1998 Nissan Sentra I put Ferrari badges on as a joke....I would take it here.

🤣
You mean like this? : My very first own car. A Mazda 626 GF. Wit 3D Scuderia Ferrari emblems. ;)
Mazda-626.jpg

Very, very, very unlikely to happen, as nothing at all is going to get you airborne.
There is thing called "lift" in motorsport, which can happen.

There is thing called "lift" in motorsport, which can happen
It's not a racetrack holding Motorsport events (the club themselves describe the track as a "Road Course", the chances of a ground effects race car being driven aggressively enough on that track are not zero, but they are not far off it, for one to lift enough to take off.

I think you might want to go and find out what actually caused the vast majority of the accidents in your video and stop and think why they are unlikely to occur on this track and why this track is no more dangerous than just about any track around. Hell I know of a track 30 minutes from my house that's significantly more dangerous in this regard and that's a racetrack that they also rent out and hold track days at!

Not to mention the majority of airborne incidents in that video are the result of car-on-car contact.

Last edited:
Hell I know of a track 30 minutes from my house that's significantly more dangerous in this regard and that's a racetrack that they also rent out and hold track days at!
Cadwell Park?

Cadwell Park?
Castle Combe, the straight that leads to Avon rise (a not insignificant rise) unloads the suspension and straight after the rise, you have a slight left before the over 90-degree right-hander that is Quarry corner (but Cadweel would certainly also qualify).

I posted this in the Assetto mod thread as well, but having driven it virtually, the track is more in the challenging category than nice and flowing. The first half is dominated by those 2 long straights (each measuring 800m, so same length as the backstraight of Suzuka from Spoon to 130R). You can really stretch your supercar's legs there. The hairpin's entrance is awkward to say the least, I certainly braked way too late on a few occasions as it looks more open than it actually is. They tried to copy Turkey's quad apex Turn 8 but didn't have the space to do it, so it ends up feeling slow and cumbersome. After the backstraight is the most interesting corner in my opinion. An uphill triple apex high speed corner that progressively tightens. And then after that is the "touge" sector. Lots of repeating esses with tricky blind off camber corners. It's a real challenge trying to nail every apex but it definitely doesn't feel intuitive or flowing to drive like a regular mountain road (ironically, there are lots of nice touges leading to the track itself. Save your money and just drive there instead :lol:). Closest thing in Gran Turismo would be if you try driving the mountain section of Bathurst backwards, and imagine the walls are pushed back and replaced with tarmac run off.

Here's an onboard at high speed of the track in AC. This was way back when the track was just announced so the scenery and run off areas don't look exactly the same, but the layout is still accurate.

IMO, the track would flow a lot better in reverse and if the corners are banked instead of off camber. Also replace the weird 270 degree hairpin with a normal 180 degree one. But I think that would raise the average speed and require more runoff for safety, which they don't have being in the middle of a mountain.

I'd love to see it in GT someday (along with returning Ascari Race Resort and a proper touge track), but it's going to be a weird track to race on. Slow cars are going to struggle with the uphill bits, but faster cars are going to have trouble racing side by side. So it will just end up being a supercar hotlapping track (which is what it's made for IRL).

Final note, maybe Polyphony should try asking Tilke to design an original track with no restrictions sometimes. His F1 tracks have a reputation for being boring but that's because of rules and regulations dictating certain parameters and the topography he has to work with. When allowed a bit more freedom, we get real gems like Magarigawa, Bilster Berg and Monticello Motor Club.

Last edited:
Back