Japanese American car culture.

United States
Greensboro/NC/U
jarod336/GTP_torque
Paperorplastic/ manherollen
Its all the rage in japan right now, People taking real J spec cars and turning them into US spec cars... things like USDM mirrors, lights, rims, turn signal, even gas caps to sun visors, to english labels, and even mirrors that say objects are closer then they appear, it's a whole new fad called JUSDM, Just like we are busy turning our civics into there JDM Counterpart, their busy turning their toyota sceptcias and nissan sedrics into maximas and camrys.

Its really interesting, I saw a build where one guy converted his whole toyota HI LUX Surf(Toyota 4 runner) into a US spec toyota 4 runner, even did a LHD conversion.

Also, old honda civics are not as popular as you think in japan, But ever since we adapted the whole jdm thing, Japan has followed suite, taking honda integras and converting them into US spex acura integras, even changing the front end to the US spex cat eye integra, Changing honda civic sir's to DX, HX, And even the SI trim(None are available in japan) Even going as far to put united states liscence plates on the front of their cars... There is a whole community, even companys that export in USDM car parts...

The latest trend has just to completely convert any j spec car into a full out american car, nissan cedric to infiniti Q45, or convert a AE86 to a corrola GTS, It's all the rage and spreading like wild fire, And amerian imported cars in japan now are as high as they ever been.

Some popular JUSDM fads.

Car bras.
Painted black bumpers.
USDM car parts. ranging from us spec engines to us spec everything else.
trailer hitches on cars.
Lifted trucks.
rusted car parts, IE hoods.
USA liscence plates(Mainly california for some reason)
USA bumper stickers...and that Chrome fish look thing(You know the one)
Roof racks on honda civics and integras..
Huge chrome rims.
Letting lifted trucks and some jeeps stay muddy...(Their good..)
Long attenas...(Their really good)
American dealer ship tags and stickers(Say for instance Jon waynes toyota scion.
US floor mats(...)
Us spec horns)
Importing american cars by the dozens.
American product placement placed in the cars(Things like pepsi cans and jack and the box bags...(Their to good)

And much more, to find out more...Read this.. Ripped straight from the site, translated withnotquiteright(i mean google translator)

Welcome to the WEB USDMjam.

And USDM 拘Ri USDMjam who say people with a car event gathered together to show off the car.

USDM and will begin with what?
Is an abbreviation for United States domestic market.
訳Shimashou U.S. market or monopoly.
So you'll say things that were sold short, for use in the United States.
I was told in the first place is opposite of the United States in the late 90s JDM WEB 和製 be born on English.

J is the JDM JAPAN.
Freak in the U.S. car HONDA NISSAN · TOYOTA alter the specifications and the differences between Japanese and American design and Japanese-made car, it sticks to the category of dress-up brand of Japanese interior, wheels and engine parts.

Civic Type R is such ※ I was not being sold in the United States.

* The standard of American civic, swap or B16B engine, lamps and Supoi error, and Type R red carpet and using parts Rekaro****o Japan Akira Makoto, TYPE-R engine parts, such as a spoon or infinite body dedicated to the color and end-less brake ADVAN WORK in Japan and is converted in such a familiar part.
* Modifications to the specifications aside, Japan had since about age 70.

USDM is a Japan-US until it is advanced one step and had been remodeled or North American specifications and design and is positioned as the language of genre in the U.S. alone 拘Tta modification techniques, including wheels and dress-up parts.
Hope that through the things that drive the differences between the U.S. and also the culture and customs.
American said it was up to, what categories of discrimination were not themselves have to say that the United States and Japan rather than interpretation.

But if you quibble with that JDM YANASE opposite of imported American cars back to the U.S. version and the regular thing, but to modify the original theory with aftermarket parts U.S., Japan in Japan specifications or regular American cars and European cars, American cars with no imports and domestic sales (brought back) and a sense of calm to the situation.

JDM and USDM well anyway, so the image vary in the same base model brother and neighbor, I think the common point of pride to say that high difficulty and high cost of imports and time to imitate?

We say USDMjam Japan and the U.S. interpretation of the vivid flavor and pizazz of events in the U.S. 有Tta draw a line through it, Japan does not respect the shape of the odor commonly found in the American Street each stage we are aiming to represent the United States is felt.

In addition, events such as Low Rider and Amerikankasho 有Tta the meantime, America has changed the specifications exactly as lamps and bumper, they took time and effort and money on beautiful, and "Hey this car - often imported Tsu "say the divide between hands as the car began to think that shows if the person provides spaces to show off in the parking lot there was only modest.

Japan, and vans and trucks for work, I'm using a different atmosphere
OC and Beverly Hills, Mercedes and BMW are found in rich
In Taegu, LA street racer and something happen to Chino Civic
I bike every night, together with drive -
From the sedan, the poverty of South Central bling SUV
Buggy in the desert, and 4 × 4
Hitoshi Hitoshi · LA as well as Guam and Hawaii,,,
How to represent a variety of events and a solid car Shimaou say bring together the United States there is a freak.

http://www.usdmjam.com/ website here...tons of pictures...every day cars would see here..and i mean "Ordinary"...even ricers. to clean jdm styled american hondas...to fords..dodges chevys..Basically what we see here.

Discuss.

Last edited:
We should start a company where we trade them our cars for theirs. It would be ingenious, easy way of getting some nice JDM cars :lol:.

Ah, Japan, the land were nothing really makes sense. Am I surprised by this? No, I kind of expected it, since they have some weird fixation on random American things anyhow. Such as putting random english words into music and so on.

Well I see a lot of german cars in the US that likes to convert to Euro specs. So its just a trend to be different from the norm. Its nothing new, just catching on to the Japanese car culture. Everybody wants to be unique.

does this mean we will be seeing R34s and RX7s with 426 HEMI or big-block-Chevy swaps, Cragars, side pipes, flames and blowers poking from outta the hoods? I'd sure like to, haha!

I don't know about the "rage" in Japan, man. It claims that average person might actually find it boring. :lol:

Perfect Balance explained this phenomenon to me a while back. The "JDM" thing we have going on over here in the States started out as our attempt to emulate true Japanese tuning style, and we failed miserably. We did it so badly that when the Japanese took notice of what we had done they didn't even realize we tried to copy them--it appeared to be a completely new style. They're slowly becoming infatuated with USDM cars and tuning styles and it just so happens that they pull it off perfectly.

Imagine this. We make fun of trashy American kids in dirty, slammed Civic sedans rolling on painted steelies and mismatched tires because they can't afford a decent set of wheels. But our friends from across the pond think it's the coolest thing since sliced bread because it's something they've never seen before. And it's cheap to boot!

It's funny, but it's actually a very serious problem. It's taking over Japan. We have created a monster from what was once the epitome of street performance car tuning. It's dying, only to be replaced with painted steelies and hardparkers. Our next generation will grow up seeing these god awful things from Japan, and I don't even want to think about what they'll come up with trying to copy themselves.

EDIT: And since every trend that comes from America is based on what comes out of Wolfsburg, that means the Japanese think Volkswagens are the ****. God help us.

Last edited:
Hopefully nobody is installing USDM pedals in their Toyotas.

ahem, ahem?

omgwtflol.jpg

This is a classic case of the grass is always greener on the other side. Over here all people who owns honda want jdm parts and get mad respect yo.Also people with vw's want to euro them out, aka euro bumpers with fake plates. In Europe, the vw crowd cant get enough of US vw parts. Its all because people want to be cool and different. I am not surprised there is a USDM fan club lol.

I am not surprised there is a USDM fan club lol.
I'm not surprised there's a USDM scene either. I figured they'd want USDM bumpers, bras, interior parts, tuning parts, etc. But that's not necessarily the case.

I don't think you guys are getting the jist of this. The very worst you can find here in the USA is what they're emulating in Japan. Perfectly. They think it's great. This is an example of JUSDM:

DSC00091.jpg

Is that car from Japan or from the trailer park down the street? I can hardly tell. Note the flags, the bras, the big SUVs, the chrome wheel covers,, the license plate frames, and most importantly the Japanese people in the background. It's absurd.

I'm not seeing how this is either a surprise or something so devastating it deserves a "READ" imperative.

It's pretty common in most countries to find things from far-flung fields to be exotic and, thus desirable. You only have to see the JDM idiots in the UK and US. Coupled with that, there's already a culture that foreign = good in Japan - Clarkson's Car World noted 15 years ago that high-ranking Yakuza roll in LHD Mercedes, because Mercedes is good but not as good as a LHD one.

So this thread, really, is "People are attracted to foreign, exotic and difficult to get hold of objects to use as status symbols". Well stop the presses.

I'm not seeing how this is either a surprise or something so devastating it deserves a "READ" imperative.

It's pretty common in most countries to find things from far-flung fields to be exotic and, thus desirable. You only have to see the JDM idiots in the UK and US. Coupled with that, there's already a culture that foreign = good in Japan - Clarkson's Car World noted 15 years ago that high-ranking Yakuza roll in LHD Mercedes, because Mercedes is good but not as good as a LHD one.

So this thread, really, is "People are attracted to foreign, exotic and difficult to get hold of objects to use as status symbols". Well stop the presses.
Hit the nail right on the head, Except that when you say foreign = good in japan, They also mentioned that the majority are aware of this problem..and dispies it, yet accept it...with open arms.. To each his own..or something like that...But if some dude wants to convert his honda lagreat into a US honda odessey...i say go on...only a matter of time before....Well never mind, they have already been doing this in korea since the 90s actually.....Only a matter of time before some one puts tata badges on a XJ..

But even so, it's kind of cool to see what they are up to..also shows they pay close attention to other cultures....im guessing there is also some fan base around american commercials..

Also puts car bras to good use.

Yeah, this is nothing new..
http://www.wheel-whores.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=5560

What's funny is USJDM, Japanese dudes buying fake JDM plates to replicate US fakes.

Keef, don't sweat it, the Japanese people just have a thing for replicating, combine that with the Japanese people's way of doing everything right, and you'll see why they do it down to the last detail. I believe you're wrong when you're saying that the Americans are (unintentionally, atleast) destroying Japanese car culture. Look at it as the Japanese preserving the US OEM style, that is dissappearing when all the cool kids want euro and JDM parts on their cars.

I once heard or read a story. A Japanese company were replicating an American jacket design from the 2nd world war. The original jackets were made with machines that had a design flaw, so the seams were faulty in one point. Instead of fixing this when making replicas, the Japanese company sourced the original equipment and bought it, so that the replicas could have the same flaws, to authenticate the feeling of the original. The Japanese in a nutshell.

Also, there is no identity crisis.. In the Philippines the biggest rage is UK spec on cars. Here in Norway, we aspire to build cars with a US and Japanese flava. I sell european parts to Americans craving euro spec. As do the Japanese, I was recently in Japan, saw a euro spec Primera in Roppongi.. It's just globalization. If you're surprised by this, I want to see the look on your face when you see how many Starbucks there are in Tokyo :)

USDM?

Pfft, the Japanese have been doing UKDM for waaay longer.

viewt.jpg

:sly:

Also, the Integra DC2 with quad headlights thing mentioned in the OP is an odd one, because the only DC2s we got officially imported from Japan were like that, so I'm not sure if that counts as an American styling trend.

honda-integra-type-r.jpg

As far as I was aware it was just a facelift rather than a USDM-only feature.

The lower-spec Integras had that nose for awhile, however, when the Type-R came along, the Japanese decided that they liked the old-style nose, so they changed the entire line to that.

You're right mate, JDM cars had this front atleast in '93, but they quickly changed it there. Continued as an export front after the early facelift in Japan, I think that was in 94 or 95.

Ah, I thought it was something along those lines. That'll be why the cars the UK got had that front, direct from the factory in Japan.

I prefer it to the square lights anyway.

Ah, I thought it was something along those lines. That'll be why the cars the UK got had that front, direct from the factory in Japan.

I prefer it to the square lights anyway.
i happen to like the long lights more but to each his own... guess cause i'm so use to seeing the dual eye lights on the us spec integras running around everywhere, though ive seen alot of conversions as well.

I think I prefer them simply because I was aware they existed before I'd seen the longer lights - the long lights immediately looked old-fashioned. As you say though, to each his own.

I could have called this one years ago, except the Japanese have been doing this since the Dutch visited 500 years ago.

What I find ironic is the cadre of Scion xD owners that plump for JDM stuff, which in my opinion, makes their unique little car more boring-looking (that is, more like a Toyota, and less like something a little different).

250px-08_Scion_xD.jpg
→
250px-2007_Toyota_ist_01.jpg

Sometimes, I just don't get it...and never will. It's not as if the xD is all that popular in the US to begin with.

Last edited:
Back