Japanese American car culture.

Wow...they even have the DMV paperwork...I wonder if someone is going to pull a Johnny Ricer in Japan..

It makes sense that in the US we want our Japanese cars to be in JDM spec or Euro cars to be in their Germany-spec or whichever. They tend to be better in some way. Civic and Integra owners attempt to recreate the corresponding Type R. I don't know any specific examples for a BMW, but I'm sure there are common changes. Mini owners tend to rock the Euro plate on front. Its all a part of making the car's origins more apparent and in some cases increasing performance.

The Japanese on the other hand are doing this because they are crazy.

I don't know any specific examples for a BMW, but I'm sure there are common changes. Mini owners tend to rock the Euro plate on front. Its all a part of making the car's origins more apparent and in some cases increasing performance.

E36 M3's had about 80hp more, a 6 speed, ITBs, and some other serious differences for the drivetrain. More minor elements would be nicer projector head lights, oil pressure gauge instead of MPG gauge, cloth interiors more common, rear windows that pop open (I think), and a few other small differences.

As for Japan, when has logic or good taste ever applied there?

That's not fair. Americans did eat up the JDM like you guys said. Where did you guys think that taste came from? ;)

And I've yet to see any proof this USDM is the "rage" in Japan. Like I posted earlier, the website actually claim that typical person(in Japan) might find this stuff boring.

I think it's kinda intriguing. Japan wants their Japanese cars to look like the one's we have, and we want our Japanese cars to look like the one's in Japan. Why doesn't everybody just trade? So Kenji, you can have Bill's Acura RSX. Bill, you can have Kenji's Honda Integra. And Toshi, you can have Kevin's Infiniti G20. Kevin, you can have Toshi's Nissan Primera. Everyone's happy!!

Last edited:
Seriously, this is not very odd at all. True "JDM" enthusiasts in the US don't go over the top with "styling," they simply outfit their cars with genuine OEM parts from Japan and prefer only Japanese-made aftermarket parts to make their cars stand apart from the typical USDM equivalent.

It only makes sense that in Japan, where their domestics are our imports, they'd want to get USDM parts for the same reasons. Now I think it's a little over the top to buy chrome hubcaps and window flags, but it's no worse than the "ricing" we so commonly see here. To each his own. It's the same principle, merely reversed.

Seriously, this is not very odd at all. True "JDM" enthusiasts in the US don't go over the top with "styling," they simply outfit their cars with genuine OEM parts from Japan and prefer only Japanese-made aftermarket parts to make their cars stand apart from the typical USDM equivalent.

It only makes sense that in Japan, where their domestics are our imports, they'd want to get USDM parts for the same reasons. Now I think it's a little over the top to buy chrome hubcaps and window flags, but it's no worse than the "ricing" we so commonly see here. To each his own. It's the same principle, merely reversed.

Glubags, I see what you're saying. But wouldn't it make more sence if they were taking the American brands they have over there, and making them more American?

Glubags, I see what you're saying. But wouldn't it make more sence if they were taking the American brands they have over there, and making them more American?

They probably don't have any American brands in the first place.

Saw this examples some time ago on auto otaku,and liked the idea with just replacing body panels and other parts with OEM USDM ones and so on.
As it's already said,it's desirable to have what it isn't so easy to obtain.

usdm3.jpg

usdm2.jpg

usdm1.jpg

So why is this important enough that all must "READ"?

I dunno.. But it's pretty interesting. Check this out:

This is a JDM front. So, he's failed because he doesn't have dual rounds.. Nope, this Japanese dude has probably got a JDM-only front because that's the most desirable front Stateside.

I dunno.. But it's pretty interesting. Check this out:

This is a JDM front. So, he's failed because he doesn't have dual rounds.. Nope, this Japanese dude has probably got a JDM-only front because that's the most desirable front Stateside.
I wouldn't think they they would have rims like that but its me.Seems like a bit of WestCoast style but who knows.

[COLOR="RoyalBlue"]It finally happened.

-------------------------------------------------
<--- So nice!
[/COLOR]

Last edited:
It finally happened.

Huh? I don't get it. What 'finally happened'? Despite losing the war, there are a lot of Japanese who love all things (including cars) American.

In any big Japanese city on a Friday or Saturday night you are likely to see American lowriders cruising the streets. It's been that way for quite some time.

As for the USDM thing, I think the reason is that the vast majority of cars here are Japanese. Imports have a sort of prestige to them. Many Japanese love customizing their cars and attention to detail is something that Japanese are well known for. All of these things combined explain the fad.

Huh? I don't get it. What 'finally happened'? Despite losing the war, there are a lot of Japanese who love all things (including cars) American.

In any big Japanese city on a Friday or Saturday night you are likely to see American lowriders cruising the streets. It's been that way for quite some time.

As for the USDM thing, I think the reason is that the vast majority of cars here are Japanese. Imports have a sort of prestige to them. Many Japanese love customizing their cars and attention to detail is something that Japanese are well known for. All of these things combined explain the fad.
Now i have seen alot of different automotive styles through out my time from staying in tokyo, and i will deffenently see more when i move there next year, But Honestly, i never would have thought that the "Dade county" "Donk" style would catch on. it's a big surprise to me, seeing them take a Chevrolet caprice and put it on 26" rims. Or putting a escalade on 34's.. Though not the most interesting thing i have seen, that goes to the new Fuwukazi style.

Money in the bank. 👍 Especially when I was a kid, cars like T-Birds, Firebirds, even the Big-3 conversion vans, while nobody owned them(in your circle), they were admired by some.

The problem was, any real American cars were just too impractical on Japanese streets. And any American cars that might have fit on those streets, they were just way too inferior to the domestics.

American imports, along with the European cars were regarded as "gaisha"(foreign/import cars), and like Awesomeness posted, they certainly carried some premium over there.

It must be a nightmare to park that 1976-77 eldorado in Japan, but you're sure to be unique which weight more than the negatives IMO.

It must be a nightmare to park that 1976-77 eldorado in Japan, but you're sure to be unique which weight more than the negatives IMO.
I live in Oregon now, and in some newer parking spaces, those cars would be a 🤬 to park, even around here. :lol:

wait a minute...these guys are emulating beaters/Hoopties??!

*facepalm*

hey, Japan, here's a clue for you...your doing it wrong!

Back