Japanese Luxury

  • Thread starter Thread starter deadcell96
  • 45 comments
  • 2,339 views
For some reason the Japanese brands have always tried to emulate the Euro brands' style of alphabet soup when naming cars. I don't exactly know why, when they could choose some big fancy luxurious word and actually name the car, like Lincoln's old Continental. Sounds cool, right? Apparently fancy names don't cut it anymore and you're not luxury unless your products are jumbled part numbers.

Yeah I admit with you,Japanese car models mostly are similar to German cars.They might have thought that it's the best way to make presence in European markets.
 
nasadus: because that's the demographic that normally buys them and FYI, middle age is well into the fifties and early 60's nowadays. your barely an adult to the older generations untill you TURN 50. the guys buying the lexi are well heeled late baby boomers that earn over 50k a year or more and don't want the "lemon" and "old Fogey" rep associated (to their Chagrin) by buick and even caddy (caddy's added a gangster rep because of the Escalades).

younger people like you buy a Lex 'cause they know it's a Toyota in an Armani suit.

jonnybigboss: that's 'cause Americans treat all cars the same, and drive them the same, like they're made out of heavy gauge steel and built like tanks. the only time an American is delicate with a car is if it's a collector's piece, and then it turns into a Trailer Queen. since you didn't specify your location, I assumed you weren't an American.
 
And to the people putting Audi in the same category I would like to disagree. They are underneath BMW (who in turn is underneath Merc). Close but not "luxury" yet. What do you say?

Also Lexus is the Japanese Merc no doubt, they even style some of their cars similarly. They had that GS at the turn of the century whose lights were obviously influenced. Then, when Merc went from round lights to almond they did the same.
 
good to see I wasn't the only one who picked up the Mercedes vibe from the GS/Aristos (and descendants)
 
And to the people putting Audi in the same category I would like to disagree. They are underneath BMW (who in turn is underneath Merc). Close but not "luxury" yet. What do you say?

I say sit in an Audi of pretty much any size and then tell me it's lower quality than the equivalent BMW or Mercedes. I'm much more a BMW and Merc person than I am an Audi person but they're easily up there in terms of "luxury".
 
I say sit in an Audi of pretty much any size and then tell me it's lower quality than the equivalent BMW or Mercedes. I'm much more a BMW and Merc person than I am an Audi person but they're easily up there in terms of "luxury".

Audi is definitely up there with Mercedes and BMW. The problem is that Audi is just not cutting it for some reason compared to those two, and to especially Lexus.

Down here, its kinda of a rare thing to see a newish Audi compared to newish BMWs and Mercedes.
 
I say sit in an Audi of pretty much any size and then tell me it's lower quality than the equivalent BMW or Mercedes. I'm much more a BMW and Merc person than I am an Audi person but they're easily up there in terms of "luxury".

You are right. The quality on the Audis I've been was premium, top notch. I may be biased because of the common belief here that Mercs and "Bebas" are in a class, specially the former, of their own.

The problem is that Audi is just not cutting it for some reason compared to those two, and to especially Lexus.

You mean sales?
 
You mean sales?

Yeah. Audi's are fantastic cars do drive, and have nailed the designs down on their line up. But for some reason we aren't welcoming to Audi. Perhaps Audi of the 90's ruined its image over here.
 
No such problem in Europe. Sales are as strong as you'd expect.

In fact, last year was their best ever. Over a million sales worldwide.
 
No such problem in Europe. Sales are as strong as you'd expect.

In fact, last year was their best ever. Over a million sales worldwide.

For Audi?

But I'm sure they are still perplexed why America still eludes them.
 
For Audi?

But I'm sure they are still perplexed why America still eludes them.

Maybe, I say maybe, a subconscious correlation arises hearing the name. Saudi anyone?
 
Maybe, I say maybe, a subconscious correlation arises hearing the name. Saudi anyone?

CIA is gonna be knocking on your door soon buddy...:nervous:
 
Yeah. Audi's are fantastic cars do drive, and have nailed the designs down on their line up. But for some reason we aren't welcoming to Audi. Perhaps Audi of the 90's ruined its image over here.

For Audi?

But I'm sure they are still perplexed why America still eludes them.
You're getting incorrect information somewhere, bud.

Audi sales have been up since 2009 & are still on a rise. They're doing very well in the US. In fact, all 3 German automakers are expected to do even better this year.
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-...cord-sales-this-year-on-u-s-china-demand.html
 
For Audi?

But I'm sure they are still perplexed why America still eludes them.

Because up until the last couple of years when VW announced their plan to make their USDM cars terrible Toyota knock-offs, you could get near-as-no-difference in quality and luxury simply buying the VW siblings of Audi models instead. Not exactly the best circumstances to try to expand the scope of a luxury brand that was arguably damaged goods throughout the 1990s anyways.
 
Exactly. During the B5 years, the A4 was completely irrelevant when compared to the Passat. The only selling point would have been the Haldex AWD system, but even then, it was an option on all the Passat models with exception to the old 1.8T model. The TT wasn't much more than an over-styled GTI, the Phateon and A8 were otherwise exactly the same vehicle, it goes on and on. Perhaps the only major difference between the two brands were the fact that Volkswagen would sell you a Jetta, and Audi would sell you an A6.

I'd care to say, even then, that up until about the past year or so, you'd still have to be a bit thick to buy an Audi over a comparable Volkswagen otherwise. Of course, now that VW has decided to take everything back to 1996, that doesn't work anymore.
 
For Audi?

But I'm sure they are still perplexed why America still eludes them.

here's another reason to add to the "eluding" problem

in the late 80's, Audi had a problem with their transmissions being easily knocked out of park. a kid got hurt, audi's sales went POOF, and one of the first Car Nannies was made mandatory (stepping on the brake pedal before you can start the car )

some people still remember that, and avoid them like the plague because of a model that died quick. especially the people who can afford them, as they were around when the incident happened.
 
Last edited:
Back