Japan's Space Agency Wants to Put a Toyota On The Moon

That's what I call doing it properly. Fully pressurised, fuel cell power units, 6,200-mile range...

No idea how they're getting it up there though. Saturn V could only put 48 tons into a lunar orbit injection, and the CSM and LM (mainly their fuel) were 44 tons of that. Doesn't leave much wiggle room, and that's on the most powerful rocket ever constructed.

Construction on ISS, perhaps?

I feel like there is a very strong need for a construction facility in orbit. I like that idea most. Also, why aren't we using mass drivers yet? Especially for non-human cargo, it just seems so much simpler and less wasteful. Just hook it up to a Nuke plant and fire away.

I like how it has an FJ grill and headlights :lol:

If they made a road-legal van that was inspired by this, I think people would be all over it. #Spacevanlife

edit: Holy ****, I totally forgot Toyota made a van called the Space Cruiser in the 1980s.
28601077041_8c25cc4f31_b.jpg

Okay, exclusive to Japanese devs? Or at least devs not named Turn 10 or Playground Games?

Yes,it seems to be a Japanese thing.Western devs are being left behind.Even if Wangan didn't exist Gran Turismo would probably still get Toyota cars because of GT's brand.

So, the space war has begun.
SpaceX, Blue Origin, Virgin Galactic, etc, etc. Already been going on.
No idea how they're getting it up there though. Saturn V could only put 48 tons into a lunar orbit injection, and the CSM and LM (mainly their fuel) were 44 tons of that. Doesn't leave much wiggle room, and that's on the most powerful rocket ever constructed.
Falcon Heavy payload is 64 tons. Edit: To LEO only though. Mars payload is 17 tons so it drops significantly the further you go.

Falcon Heavy payload is 64 tons. Edit: To LEO only though.
Yup - Saturn V was 138 tons to LEO.

The JAXA video seems to show an absolutely enormous lander - several times the size of the Lupra, which drives down off it. They're surely going to have to take that up in pieces, and build it on the ISS, or on an existing lunar base (which JAXA has been looking at, using sub-lunar tunnels it discovered in 2017).

Back