Jeff Gordon Outside Driving Test - Best ad for a wheel ever?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Tyger
  • 41 comments
  • 4,644 views
Messages
4,040
United Kingdom
UK
Messages
ReTyger
OK this could be just me, I must be doing something wrong here. Been doing pretty well in GT5 but noticed my A-Spec level was lagging behind B-Spec a little (30 to 34) so decided to go back and Gold a bunch of special events I settled on silver for previously.

I hadn't really enjoyed the NASCAR tests previously but liked them a lot more this time, especially when I took some advice I read here to switch off ABS which disables ASM. I golded the ones I hadn't before pretty quick

All but for this one. I cannot for the life of me gold this with my DS3, and I am wondering if that is the catch? It's really hard to get a smooth line through the corner, feels like the car is in the middle of a tug of war. And as soon as it recommences its love affair with that wall...

I love the physics in GT5 but with a controller at least, I feel the steering can be a little snappy at times, it's almost as if they've made the analog stick "progressive" a little like how if you use the D-pad, the longer you hold the button, the more lock it gives. But if i want the steering to go full lock I will push the stick all the way over. In a way I guess it gives the stick more "range" but it can feel really odd sometimes, and this challenge really seems to highlight that.

So anyway I tried the tap-tap-tap method on the side of the stick which worked on the inside driving test and has served me so well in the past, but the curve of the corner isn't consistent and I end up grinding that wall again.

I tried so many different settings also, even the dreaded steering assist but most of them make very little difference anyway. The best I can get is 13:222 and the target is 13:200. The times I manage to get all the way around I nearly always Silver it at least, and usually <13:240.

So I guess this is a two part post:

1. Help! Any DS3 users out there managed to Gold this and have some good tips/recommended settings? Please no "I golded this on like my third attempt" and nothing else, I mean you are my hero, unknown person, but you're not helping

2. Wheel users - Can you get around this a lot more smoothly? And any who can also to some extent use the DS3, care to compare?

It's the first time i've actually been this frustrated with the game, where i've felt things are coming more down to luck or what controller I am using than skill, and i've not really felt it with any of the previous games. Guess I should feel lucky I don't get too annoyed at the many other inconsistencies that seem to upset other people so much in these here parts :)

Oh one last point, does the word "START" really have to take about a second to fade out? I can hardly see the stoopid cones until I am already on them because the lettering is in the way...appalling design there. I half expect GT6 to have a magic tree air freshener in each car, just to clutter up the display some more :grumpy:
 
Yeah I made pretty much the same topic like yours yesterday, I couldn't gold it either but after like 30 tries it worked.

I feel your pain buddy, it's nearly impossible with a DS3. Don't even ask about the Vettel challenges....gah....
Edit: Ehmmm....solution? Not really, like you said, make sure ABS is off, and keep trying. 30 times man.....30 times, my eyes were dropping tears and my hands wanted to smash the DS3.
 
I generally use the DS3 and the control pad, but found I had to use the analog stick for this test, as it required the most precise steering input balance. Just try to turn in as smoothly as possible, and give as little steering input as possible. Start out high near the wall, bring it down a little as you apex the middle, and then wander back out high as you start to exit the corner. Practice makes perfect, and you'll get it before you realize it. Just be as smooth as possible.
 
You just have to be smooth with the Analog stick. I tried the tap tap tap method at first, but going from zero - lock quickly you scrubbed off too much speed. I found that finding the right angle to hold the analog stick and doing ever so small adjustments when needed, much like I did with the wheel, it was more successful. It is more difficult than with the wheel, but certainly doable.

I have done all the tests twice, once with the wheel on one account, and the DS3 on the other. Just be smooth with the analog stick in the small range of motion you have, you'll come out good
 
I did every NASCAR event with a DS3 and golded all. Its not too hard if you're smooth. Just try and and stay as close to the cones as possible, and be smooth with the steering. Don't steer too hard once you're in the corner either.
 
I did this one first time with the DS3 earlier today (Only started playing on wednesday) :confused:

Best ad for a wheel is the Vettel challenges. I haven't tried them myself yet (Haven't unlocked them), but I can imagine how big of a disadvantage the progressive steering is which will cause you to understeer badly everywhere. Oddly enough, you can probably turn faster with the wheel in this instance.
 
I couldn't get it to save my life with the controller, but the day I bought the wheel I golded all of them... Sometimes the game is a bit easier with a controller but I've found that anything you need really steady steering or throttle control, you can't beat a wheel.
 
If you turn off all driving aids(even ABS), it makes all of the Jeff Gordon NASCAR challenges much simpler. If you already have them turned off, try different entry lines until you shave off the time you need.
 
I'll tell you why it's hard. "Are you ready?" It's because the DS3 is more sensitive than a steering wheel. A good tactic would be to stay about a little less than half a meter from the cones. Go to the outside while entering the straightaway.
 
I have a wheel and it took me around 10 goes. I got .001 behind 3 times in a row!
 
The trick is to go out wide before the entry.

One thing that does annoy me about these tests is the 'start' icon lingering like a bad smell. It actually gets in the way, you can't see where the first cones are until you hit them, you just have to sort of point your car and hope for the best.
 
1. Help! Any DS3 users out there managed to Gold this and have some good tips/recommended settings? Please no "I golded this on like my third attempt" and nothing else, I mean you are my hero, unknown person, but you're not helping

Oh one last point, does the word "START" really have . I half expect GT6 to have a magic tree air freshener in each car, just to clutter up the display some more :grumpy:

I did it without abs off. Just keep the car going smooth. You want to minimize any skidding/sliding. Definitely do-able on a ds3.

From the looks of things, gt6 will have 2 races in a spec. The rest of the game will be b spec with two commands. Faster and porridge. B spec will also run in half speed to ensure your commands register.
 
I have really struggled with this one on the DS3, similar to the OP, fastest managed to get was 13.217 - If Hear Gordon say, try not to hit the cones one more, Im on the first flight to the US to give him a slap...

After ages of not even getting a Bronze, managed to do this time, just kept the pedal to the floor, as just adjusted steering to get it round, I do not think there is enough sensitivity in the stick to get it round ( for me anyways ), only think I feel would get an attachment to make the stick longer to give more sensitivy to the steering.

Other than that can't really help.
 
You are talking about daytona I imagine?

For this one, what you have to do is being extremely smooth on the steering.

And no need to hug the cones, as long as most of the car is in the inner half, you should get it.

The problem with hugging the cones is the turn isnt perfectly round, and is slightly flat at some spots. When you pass these spots, you will turn more, and hit the cones if you happen to be hugging them.

So in short
-Be very smooth
-Dont hug the cones, you will just end up hitting them
-Beware of the flatter spots
-Floor it all the way

Applied that strategy on my main, a few secondary accounts and to help two friends of mines and it always worked, even though some times I hit the wall at the end.

I found both inner challenges, especially the indy one, much more annoying.
 
It took me about 50-60 times, until I finally managed to gold this one with the controller.
Turn everything off, shift manually into 4th gear when the Daytona logo appears the second time on the outside wall.
Been pretty close to gold by 0.002 seconds :drool: but then I got a 1:13:164 and will never touch nascar again 👍
 
Took me lots of tries as well...
Be smooth and not make sudden movements, even a tiny skid will cost you time...
Good luck!
 
The first night I tried the challenges, I was tired and couldn't get golds on any of them. The next day, I tried again and it took forever to get the Indy ones (Daytona was easier because of the bank, but still not easy). I was stuck forever on the Daytona inside one and it took over 30 tries to get it but I was happy when I finally did. I then went to the Daytona outside one and got gold on the first try.

My advice is to use the analog stick to steer, but instead of just holding left/right, hold the stick all the way back (or forward) and use the outside edge of the circle to steer. Makes your steering way more precise since there is resistance along the edge of the circle. Also, for Indy, you have to let off the throttle at some point for a second or so and then get back on it. If you time it wrong, you'll either hit the cones or be too slow to get gold. ABS off is a must since you cant turn ASM off manually (didnt get gold until i came here and read about ABS off turning off ASM).
 
I golded Daytona first try and Indy in about a dozen tries using the DS3 ...
 
I got gold on the other 3 tests in this challenge with the DS3 and have done 13.208 seconds as my best attempt so far.

I'll have a go at it another day, because I know it can be done. You can steer so carefully without skidding. Hard but possible.
 
My advice is to use the analog stick to steer, but instead of just holding left/right, hold the stick all the way back (or forward) and use the outside edge of the circle to steer. Makes your steering way more precise since there is resistance along the edge of the circle. Also, for Indy, you have to let off the throttle at some point for a second or so and then get back on it. If you time it wrong, you'll either hit the cones or be too slow to get gold. ABS off is a must since you cant turn ASM off manually (didnt get gold until i came here and read about ABS off turning off ASM).

Good tip!!! Makes perfect sense! Must try that this evening!
 
It's all about being carefull with the stick, you can easily oversteer with it, so try to move it as little as possible, and turn al aides off.
 
Yes, Daytona is easier to Gold than Indy. Main thing is to be gentle with the stick, and with the throttle (on Indy). Turn in hard, and reduce pressure on the stick to prevent you from oversteering
 
What I didn't understand about this test was the stupidly small difference in target times between bronze and gold (0.2 seconds?)....... I didn't know about turning off the driving aids so it took me at least 50 attempts to even get a bronze, every other licence test I got bronze on the first attempt.....
 
Yes, Daytona is easier to Gold than Indy. Main thing is to be gentle with the stick, and with the throttle (on Indy). Turn in hard, and reduce pressure on the stick to prevent you from oversteering

Mmm depends....I had a gold at Indy first try. Daytona took my 30 tries. I guess Daytona is easier when you've got a wheel that is.
 
I managed to this with a controller, but it was FAR from pretty. I did all the other GT games that way, but this one may finally break me and force me into getting a wheel.
 
My advice is to use the analog stick to steer, but instead of just holding left/right, hold the stick all the way back (or forward) and use the outside edge of the circle to steer. Makes your steering way more precise since there is resistance along the edge of the circle. Also, for Indy, you have to let off the throttle at some point for a second or so and then get back on it. If you time it wrong, you'll either hit the cones or be too slow to get gold. ABS off is a must since you cant turn ASM off manually (didnt get gold until i came here and read about ABS off turning off ASM).

Finally did it (.004s under hehe) on this advice, thanks man! I had actually tried this before but going into the bend you need a fair amount of lock and I didn't think I could get enough this way, but grind that stick forward/over some, then you can really hug those cones the rest of the way...awesome! Did it within about 6 tries then (I don't wanna guess how many attempts I had made before this)

All driving aids off, I run AT but had tried MT too, however you can take it flat in 4th all the way anyway (if you only want silver stay in 3rd and you'll breeze it)

Thanks all for the advice. And I was surprised too that some had more trouble with Indy, I found that relatively easy, just totally let go of the throttle going in, then partway around floored it again, enough grip to take me through without grazing the cones on the exit. Simples :)
 
as i golded these with a controller a long time ago (before 1.05) it was possible to just turn asm off and leave abs on, using the RA menu, the indy one took at least 20 gos as well as daytona, but as long as you can get your head around being gentle with the controller you'll be fine found golding the last ones a lot more difficult
 
I've also golded it using a DS3 and the "tap tap" method a while ago (never got used to the analog stick, ironic perhaps with my username, always tap).
The thing I remember after trying it for ages is to get into a rythm, after you learn to drive it smoothly and at a constant speed through that tightening corner (always remember it tightens at the end) it becomes a question of tapping at a certain moment applying a certain amount of pressure (not sure how to explain it better).
Once I figured that out (maybe it only works for me though) I just tried a couple of times, eventually more or less on "autopilot", and found that by focussing on this rythm (combined with what you already learned which becomes an automated process) and less on the actual driving I quickly achieved gold.
Oh and a bit of luck helps too.;)
 
I did it with ds3, all aids off, and the auto trans. What finally got me there was this 'trick': tilt your head to the left as soon as you enter the banking, and keep your eyes about 15 cones ahead. Do not look at the closer cones. I then hugged the cones as close as possible until the moment when you perceive that you can straighten out for maximum acceleration at the end. Stay full throttle the WHOLE time.

I went from barely bronzing it to extreme gold in just a few tries. Same effect as being on a real racetrack, you will go where you are looking. You will automatically correct for the fact that the curve isn't perfect if you're looking far enough ahead.
 
Yeah I usually use the tap tap tap method but only really works for me on a very consistent bend (worked well on some of the old license tests in previous GTs), so I admire your ability to vary the tapping! I thought I was going to have to do that too, but honestly, pushing the stick forward (or back as preferred) and rolling it a little left or right works wonders and seems way easier :)
 
Back