Jeff Gordon Outside Driving Test - Best ad for a wheel ever?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Tyger
  • 41 comments
  • 4,644 views
Yeah I usually use the tap tap tap method but only really works for me on a very consistent bend (worked well on some of the old license tests in previous GTs), so I admire your ability to vary the tapping! I thought I was going to have to do that too, but honestly, pushing the stick forward (or back as preferred) and rolling it a little left or right works wonders and seems way easier :)

Didn't know I had a "special ability", just assumed everyone did it that way...:lol:
Seems logical to me since they are pressure sensitive, ah well to each their own I guess, whatever works best for you.
Maybe it's a question of what you're used to foremost, those analog sticks always felt clumsy to use for me (or maybe I'm clumsy when I use them..)
 
For Tyger, i had the same problem with the Start fading but solved that by pausing the game immediately, then it faded. I have to go get my wheel just for this test down at the cellar.
 
Last edited:
DS3 here, and managed to get gold after just a couple tries. Having played all the past NASCAR games helps though. :sly:
 
Didn't know I had a "special ability", just assumed everyone did it that way...:lol:
Seems logical to me since they are pressure sensitive, ah well to each their own I guess, whatever works best for you.
Maybe it's a question of what you're used to foremost, those analog sticks always felt clumsy to use for me (or maybe I'm clumsy when I use them..)

Nah I agree with you but i can only do that method if the tapping speed is constant, and that doesn't work with this challenge, because the curve doesn't seem to be circular. You said you used that method but varied the length/distance of the tapping, which would work but seems quite hard to do. Well for me anyway :dunce:
 
Nah I agree with you but i can only do that method if the tapping speed is constant, and that doesn't work with this challenge, because the curve doesn't seem to be circular. You said you used that method but varied the length/distance of the tapping, which would work but seems quite hard to do. Well for me anyway :dunce:

It was just something I became aware of in that particular test, might do it subconsciously too on other occasions but it worked for me in this one.
It's a very specific test with a very specific type of car, the corner is quite circular for most of the time though, just the last section tightens heavily.
Thankfully it's just that corner and not an entire lap with those cones, just found that I had to achieve a sort of cadens or rythmic flow by reacting to memorized markers on time and tapping correctly.
It was quite hard to do but it seemed the only way for me to nail it.
 
I golded this with the dualshock3. It was a bear tho as that first part of the corner isn't smooth. The trick for me was to change the camera to the rooftop camera. That way I was able to get "closer" (I normally use the behind-the-car cam) to the cones but not have all the shakiness of the cockpit. It was just easier to see. After about 10 tries I stopped looking at the cones as I "felt" them a little better. After that first tricky entry into the curve, you just have to have a light touch through the rest of the curve.

Oh, don't do the "tapping" method. Get used to barely moving the stick with your left thumb. A delicate touch does wonders, but it does take some getting used to as most games require quick movement, rather than a soft touch.
 
I golded this with a DS3. All asists were off and you just have to be smooth, that's really all I can tell you.

Edit: also used right analog stick for throttle for more control.
 
I golded these with the DS3, even before I knew about the ABS thing.
 
Thing is, if you can afford it at all, get a wheel... everything else is just damage control, and an exercise in suspension of disbelief. You wouldn't fly a plane using a keyboard and up/down/left/right keys IRL, and neither would you drive a 600hp car around with a joystick.

The only reason to NOT use a wheel is that you can't afford one... and, with DFGT's sometimes getting as low as $100, that's less than the cost of TWO games. And I guarantee you are likely to buy two games in the next year. Spend it on a wheel instead, and get MUCH more fun, immersion, and control from your racing games.
 
I just don't get the negative vibe on Nascar in GT5. The Nascar event/races are not all that hard, yet people can't complete them. Perhaps people should race the cars as how they are in real life.

WITH NO ASSISTS! It's the reason why Nascar doesn't use them anyway.

What's ironic is that people say there's no skill in taking a LEFT TURN. Well, it goes to show most people complaining about it here can't even take a LEFT TURN.
 
Last edited:
The only reason to NOT use a wheel is that you can't afford one...

Not ture. I have a wheel, but the reason I don't use it now is because I don't have a good place to set it up. So I've been playing GT5 with the controller, and I've enjoyed it very much. A wheel is nice, sure, but it's not such a big deal as some people claim.
 
Back