Joey's Tacoma

• Thread starter Joey D
  • 92 comments
Finally got my Curt receiver mounted recovery shackle the other day along with a locking hitch pin to keep someone from walking off with it. The mount is solid steel and the shackle is rated at something absurd like 30,000lbs. So far I've had to use it to pull a co-worker's Toyota Sequoia and I've been fairly impressed with it. Surprisingly it was incredibly hard to find a recovery hook that was not made in China, thankfully most Curt stuff is made in the US.

I also got my new plate in the mail too, "TRDTACO". I wanted TOYODA but someone already had it, which is weirdly on a Toyota Sienna that frequents one of the hospitals I work at from time to time.

Q1n9LlX.jpg

This past weekend I was up in northern Michigan in the Manistee National Forest which has hundreds of unimproved state roads which are basically dirt tracks through the woods. I figured I'd try out the truck off road for once to see how it would perform. There was nothing difficult and I didn't really push the truck into anything that might damage it, but I still splashed through a couple of mud holes. The BFG's gripped wonderfully in the mud and in the sand and the truck never felt like it really struggled at any point.

MX5vNn8.jpg

fehYAPE.jpg

And here I am getting ready to hose off the filth.

MIW6Q4p.jpg

3Ef8gyr.jpg

======

Also a week or so back, I had some spray paint in the garage that was roughly the same color as the truck so I figure I'd paint the engine cover. It's not perfect but I think it looks decent enough.

fyJa1OB.jpg

This past weekend I was up in northern Michigan in the Manistee National Forest which has hundreds of unimproved state roads which are basically dirt tracks through the woods.
Once again, jealous of the US having so many unpaved roads etc that are classed as public roads... anything like that in the UK is either too narrow for road traffic or privately owned.

Truck still looks great though. Liked the Taco ever since taking a look around that beige one at the Detroit show.

A few weeks back I installed my Brite Ass LED headlights, which are awesome, and tonight I managed to get my VLED Switchback LED running lights put in. They are 5000K LEDs when in DRL mode but when I turn on the turn signal they flip to amber and then flip back once done. They had a discount code on the Tacoma forums so I figured I'd snag them and put them in. The wiring was a bit more complicated than I thought it should be but it still only took me about a half an hour to get it done. They are brighter than I thought they would be, but they do make the truck way more visible with a cleaner look.

pRDumrv.jpg

0sbrQFp.jpg

And here they are with my headlights

dKGMsTL.jpg

I also was tired of the rear cargo compartments not being able to lock so I ended up going to Home Depot and finding four locks all keyed the same to convert the plastic lock into something a bit more secure. If someone wanted to break into it they still can, but hopefully this discourages thieves a bit more. I only have ratchet straps and bungee cords in there but I'd still rather not have them disappear.

1IUUCoQ.jpg

Since I live out in the middle of nowhere and I like to see what I'm doing at night, I figured I'd get some auxiliary lights mounted up. I went with KC Apollo driving lights along with PIAA 520 Ion Yellow fog lights. The KC's will provide the long range light that I'm looking for when driving and will help when I have my high beams on. The PIAA's will work better when it's snowing out and since they are only fog lights I can drive with them when others are around without blinding them.

For the mounting solution, Nfab had a pretty well designed light bar that attached directly to the bumper brackets and then came through the lower valance. Then to control all of it I built a bracket to hold a Blue Sea auxiliary fuse box with it's own circuit breaker. I figured this was a safer solution then wiring directly to the battery and made it look cleaner too. I also was able to find some switches from a company in Australia that were designed for the Hi-Lux but fit perfect in the factory locations on my dash so I didn't have to have any goofy looking switches taped on.

Here's how it all looks:

pRKJqXF.jpg

NJY2dbZ.jpg

S6KKpw0.jpg

EYDE4W0.jpg

sYR82YU.jpg

Love those lights!! Dad's F250 has a old style chrome push bar with two 6" KC Daylighters on it to work with high-beams (when he takes the covers off them). They seemed pretty bright in themselves, especially with 2B1 Xtra-Vision Sylvania 65w headlights. I can only imagine how bright those all are!

Did a couple things over the past week or so in between being gone for work and the weather that can't make up its mind.

Added a set of EGR matter window visors, makes cracking the window when it's raining out way nicer. They also match my bug shield too.

tcrBsh8.jpg

Finally got my stickers on too, Xpedition Overland and Overland Bound are both YouTube channels that I watch pretty frequently and I've gotten to kind of know the guys through online forums. The T5 decal is in support of the Team 5 Foundation charity that I support. And the other ones are a couple of decals I got from Triple Aught Designs when I bought some equipment.

fdIO7QD.jpg

This afternoon I also got my shovel mounted to the bed rails. When I go offroad and once the snow starts flying it will be nice to have a shovel for those emergencies. Every mount I found online were $50+, but I ended up spending a couple bucks on t-slot nuts, a couple of bolts and some conduit hangers to make my own. I think all in all I invested maybe $3 per mount.

HFWBMFz.jpg

GZ3emdw.jpg

Now I just need to fab up a bracket to mount my Maxtrax in the bed.

I like the shovel mount, very wise to have one handy when tackling snow, sand, mud or zombies 👍

Decal collection is nice too. I can think of one that would certainly look good on there ;) :gtpflag:

So I've done a few more odds and ends to the truck yesterday and today.

I got my new GenTex mirror installed that has auto dimming, HomeLink, and a compass. The HomeLink was what I really wanted so I could program my garage door, but the auto dimming and compass are nice. I also installed my new UltraGauge MX above the mirror too using a piece of scrap aluminium and some Velcro. I also put my Mjölnir pendant up there for good measure too.

ZswlsvU.jpg

There was a group buy on TacomaWorld for RokBlokz mudflaps and since the OEM flaps on the Taco were awful, I thought an upgrade was in order. These off way more protection from stones.

dcuDdfU.jpg

Finally I got my morale patch collection up on my headliner.

y2pb95v.jpg

No work today plus temps that were nearly 70 allowed me to actually get outside and do some stuff. The first thing I wanted to do was get my Softopper installed on my truck, which ended up taking me longer than I thought it really should have. There were a ton of minor adjustments I needed to make in order for it to fit squarely. I do like it though and it will provide a pretty good start for my overland build.

YN1SUMe.jpg

KLc8PEZ.jpg

cPMc1bA.jpg

I also got my CB radio antenna bracket on, but I still need to figure out the best way to run the cable into the cab. Hopefully I can do that either later today or tomorrow. I also bought the wood I'll need to make the platform in the back, I just need to work something up in CAD to see if it's going to work like I think it should.

I also added a few more patches...

aLxjeZq.jpg

I test drove a Tacoma and loved it, but it was just outside of my price range.

Will definitely look at getting my own in a few years, though likely a brand new example.

I do love the look of the truck but.. A mall crawler with a bunch of patches makes you look like that guy, you know.. Just sayin :)

Being that guy is half the fun though.

I test drove a Tacoma and loved it, but it was just outside of my price range.

Will definitely look at getting my own in a few years, though likely a brand new example.

I still can't believe how expensive they are and how much I probably overpaid for mine. I mean I could have driven away in a nicely speced F-150 for the price I paid, but on the flip side I haven't really lost any real value on the truck since they just keep their resale value for whatever reason.

===

Did a little more today since the weather was still decent out.

Got my antenna installed and the coax cable ran into the cab of the truck, I still need to install my radio but at least the cable is there for when I do decide to do it. I'm glad I went with a quick disconnect too since I don't think my truck would make it into the parking garage at work with the antenna like that.

wEmvcLJ.jpg

ch48O0G.jpg

I also got my TRD bedside decals on that I got from a Secret Santa on the Tacoma forums. I know there's no mountains in Michigan, but hey I like the way they look.

1iFwdWy.jpg

Nice thing about the antenna is that it can also serve as a guide to where the end of your truck is.

--

What all are you planning for your overloading build?

What all are you planning for your overloading build?

As of right now I want to get a sleeping platform and secure bed storage sorted out, I have all the wood and stuff in my garage so hopefully I can start this weekend on that. It won't be as nice as those custom setups from one of the big outfitters but it also won't be thousands of dollars. After that the next thing I want to secure is a roof rack with an LED light bar on it, I'll end up mounting my Rotopax gas cans and Maxtrax up there to free up space. There's a couple of builder of racks out there, I just need to find a good deal. Once that's all set I'll focus on armor. Bumpers are really expensive since I want aluminium ones, but those aren't super critical. Sliders and skids are probably better in terms of money vs. protection, so I'll focus on those first. After all that's done I'll upgrade the suspension to something a little more heavy duty to compensate for the weight better, I don't really want much of a lift but leveling the truck out probably would make it look a little better.

I also need to figure out navigation at some point too, I'm not sure if I want a good mobile unit or to replace the in dash stereo with a navigation equipped headunit. Right now I mostly just rely on a huger folder full of maps that live under my driver seat.

It's slow going but as soon as I get the sleeping platform built the truck will be plenty capable of doing some weekend warrior stuff...everything else is just extra.

I do love the look of the truck but.. A mall crawler with a bunch of patches makes you look like that guy, you know.. Just sayin :)

I've never understood this line of thinking. Who cares if it is a "mall crawler" (I despise that term) as long as it is modified to the owners liking?

I got my CBI Off Road ditch light brackets and KC light pods the other day and finally got around to installing them. I'm still waiting on my new Pelfreybilt aux fuse box so they aren't wired up yet, but at least they're mounted up and ready to go.

WzfGA8L.jpg

GpcVabU.jpg

With the growing number of things I end up taking with me when I go wheeling or for camping I figured I'd get a roof rack. After looking at all the major brands, I settled on one by Prinsu Designs out of Utah. It's a one man operation and I think he makes the best looking rack for the Tacoma since it's fairly low profile and fits the out line of the truck. I opted to add in the wind deflector to help with the noise on the freeway and a 40" LED light bar cut out. I have the light bar in the garage, I'm just in the process of building a new auxiliary fuse panel so it might be a few days before I get it on and wired up.

KOdiH1C.jpg

LtJJjYh.jpg

tQNl2nt.jpg

Next up, besides getting the lights all wired up, is to figure out some way to mount all my stuff to the rack and make sure it's secure. I'd also like to get an ARB awning to bolt to the side of it so I can have shade no matter where I go.

aev-10307021aa-eye-bolt-tie-downs-on-vehicle.jpg

6mm%20and%208mm%20in%20slots.jpg

Or Ratchet straps for heavier items, and a small box for smaller, irregularly shaped items

I've been goofing around with the truck for the past week or so and figured I'd update my thread regarding the truck.

I got my light bar on, however it's still not wired up since I'm still working on my new aux fuse panel. I'll probably finish it up tomorrow barring the weather stays half way decent.

mv04tI6.jpg

I opted to put some yellow lens on it to help balance it out a bit better. I might switch it back to all white once I see how it is, but this is the setup most guys on the Tacoma forum are running.
hSzrpus.jpg

Here's the aux fuse panel that's a WIP. The second breaker will control the fuse panel that I'll eventually mount in the bed to control the on board air supply.
eKN7Hho.jpg

I also got my reinforced tailgate skin this afternoon and threw it on real quick. I managed to lose a bolt somewhere in my driveway and I can't find it, so I'll need to head to the hardware store to replace it. At any rate I'm ready to take the quad bikes up north next weekend since putting one in the bed means it'll be resting on the tailgate.
jEm8flh.jpg

Finally, I it was slow a few days ago while I was working from home and figured I'd wrap my handles in paracord while I was sitting on a 3 hour conference call. I'm eventually going to make some handles that fit around the head rest to help short people (like my mother-in-law) get in the backseat of my truck.
xZs1bzK.jpg

Oh and my patch game is still on point
UXnJAqv.jpg

I did some more work this week getting my fuse box put together and getting wires ran all over the place. I still have wire management to do and I think I'm going to redo the wiring from the light bar on the front of the truck since I'm not crazy with how it's done. I'm also going to redo some of my switches so that they light up and dim with the dash lights.

k6S6gfE.jpg

vfWU85h.jpg

AUSZYrg.jpg

f1rlIqV.jpg

I also got my ORV stickers so I can legally hit the trails this weekend. Hopefully Sunday I'll be doing some offroading with buddy of mine in Northern Michigan, should be fun as long as it doesn't rain.

oY7oq08.jpg

I also got my ORV stickers so I can legally hit the trails this weekend. Hopefully Sunday I'll be doing some offroading with buddy of mine in Northern Michigan, should be fun as long as it doesn't rain.

****ing finally :)
Also, the muddier the better..!

Hey @Joey D, Is your long bed the 6' bed? Now that you've had your Taco for 1.5 years, do you wish/prefer the 5' short bed or 6' long bed? Have you ran into any situations off road where the shorter wheelbase of the short bed would have been better than what you have?

Hey @Joey D, Is your long bed the 6' bed? Now that you've had your Taco for 1.5 years, do you wish/prefer the 5' short bed or 6' long bed? Have you ran into any situations off road where the shorter wheelbase of the short bed would have been better than what you have?

Yup, I have the 6ft bed. I think it's actually 6'2" or something like that. The only time I wished I had the short bed is when I have to force the truck into a tiny parking spot in an underground parking ramp in the downtown area, other than that I'm really happy I got the long bed. It's easy to haul things that I would otherwise not be able to do with a shorter box and it's also long enough that I can sleep in the back once I get around to finishing up my sleeping platform.

Off road, I don't really go into tight areas and most of the terrain around me is sand. I think if I were more in the mountains I might have a bit of a issue, but it would have to be a super narrow trail.

Sweet Taco, nice to see another 4WD Toyota guy on these forums! 👍

All you need now is a roof tent and it'd look perfect. :P

So as some of you know if you're friends with my on Facebook or Instagram, that I've been spending the past 5 days driving from the west side of Michigan to Utah. I got a new job at the University of Utah in Salt Lake City and have officially relocated her as of today since I finally got the keys to my apartment. Between the trip out here and the few days I spend just wandering around, I saw some cool things. Here are the highlights:

Here I am on Trail Ridge Road going through the Rocky Mountain National Park.

YzxPRMw.jpg

Going through Highway 40 into Steamboat Springs, CO for the night. It was cloudy, raining pretty good and I was the only vehicle on the road.

2jZVJ2E.jpg

On top of the Rabbit Ears Pass on Highway 40, thought it would be cool to get a picture at the Continental Divide.

yNeaN5M.jpg

Made it! Entering Utah for the first time. The sign is a lie though, there are no dinosaurs here.

eaJKd1G.jpg

At the Dinosaur Quarry at Dinosaur National Monument. I had no idea this was even here, I saw a sign for it from the road and took a 3 hour detour checking out Split Mountain and the quarry itself.

t2bjFUJ.jpg

I drove past Strawberry Reservoir, which was the first body of water I'd seen in a long time.

ekJ5Klg.jpg

I went to pay homage to the Temple of Speed, but sadly the flats were flooded. Apparently I just missed them being open. I really wanted to get my truck out there and top it out at a blistering 105 mph.

BLQG0uX.jpg

At the top of Guardsman Pass on my way into Park City. Found the road on a whim while checking out the ski areas.

ULn9gG2.jpg

I stopped at a ranger station in Wasatch State Park and talked to one of the rangers there who suggested this road up through the mountains since I had a 4WD. It wasn't a difficult trail, but to someone that's never actually driving up a rocky road with steep drop offs, it was a little challenging for me. My tires were really impressive on the rocks too, I feel like I can completely trust them now.

FScaEB5.jpg

This was along the easier part of the trail, the views were awesome.

LtuLJyH.jpg

Finally I took the Alpine Loop down into Orem, it also offered some nice views. Also, it's apparently where everyone with a motorcycle comes to hoon in the mountains.

VE0OiBG.jpg

====

So things I learning about the truck on this trip:
  • It's not geared for 80 mph on the highway and I end up getting 14 mpg.
  • My seats are surprisingly comfortable.
  • I can fit way more than I thought in the bed and the back seat.
  • For being mostly stock it's capable enough off road.
  • The front end is a magnet for every flying insect on the planet.
  • It needs about 50 more horsepower.

And things I learned about the country:
  • Iowa is the most boring state I've ever been through.
  • Nebraska drivers are nuts and aren't afraid to do 100+mph while pulling a trailer.
  • Wyoming is way under rated.
  • Colorado is beautiful, however it's expensive and the gas is terrible quality.
  • Utah is extremely varied and I'm going to love it here.
  • And I can find good beer anywhere.

And what I learned about myself:
  • My body doesn't do being at altitude.
  • I really enjoy long drives as long as they aren't in Iowa.
===

Next up, I'm just going to continue to explore. I probably won't hit any of the national parks until next spring/summer when I've banked some time off at the new job. I am going to get an overland rack and a roof top tent in the near future since I think that would make traveling way more affordable.

Back