"JP" instead of the "J" word.

• Thread starter Biggles
  • 42 comments
Status
Not open for further replies.
The mods arn't on a powertrip, it never has been agreeable to use the term Japanese, exept in cases like this, where you're explaining why. The term Japanese and the term Aussie are vastly different, Aussie is NOT a racial slur, Japanese is. It is as simple as that. You don't decide what a racial slur is, neither do I. I have to say, I'm shocked that so many people on here are unaware of this and even more shocked that even now that you know it is a racial slur many of you are still arguing that it should be used.

Japanese is in the same boat as a term for black people that get's filtered out on this site, neither of which are acceptable on here and both of which can cause offence. I apologise for using the term in theis post but I just can't see any other way to get the message across.

Like I said, it never has been acceptable to use this term, it's only really being highlighted now more than in the past becuase people are using it more in refference to GT5:P.

Guys, you're not considering the word in a historical context okay, stop being so lazy, go on wikipedia or just google it and I'm sure you'll find plenty of reasons for it.

If you guys can't handle the common courtesy of respecting someone elses preference on how they are referred to then you should go bloody learn some manners, they come free with every brain.

I, too am very surprised that so many are unfamiliar with the slang use of the word. Please do not use it here.

I, too am very surprised that so many are unfamiliar with the slang use of the word. Please do not use it here.

It's not lack of familiarity, it's lack of use as a slur. It's context. If I'm talking about beating the crap out of someone, that might be seen as a physical threat...unless context dictates that I'm talking about a d@mn game. Personally, I never use the term, slur or not. I just think the fact that people are no longer allowed to use the term in ANY context is ****ing ridiculous.

I don't want to speak for the mods but, from my experience using the word in a completely non-agressive way is not going to get you banned, it'll simply get a kind reminder off the mods.

Now, that's not to say things won't get more serious if you ignore this, but if you're not willing to adapt to such an easy thing then you should come to the UK, we love not adapting.

It's not lack of familiarity, it's lack of use as a slur. It's context. If I'm talking about beating the crap out of someone, that might be seen as a physical threat...unless context dictates that I'm talking about a d@mn game. Personally, I never use the term, slur or not. I just think the fact that people are no longer allowed to use the term in ANY context is ****ing ridiculous.

If you use the "N" word in any context, it is considered to be a racist slur, because it was originally used as a racist slur. The same applies to the "J" word. It was first widely used as a derogatory term in WWII; but because we won, we see it as acceptable to use, but it isn't.

Wikipedia says:
Today it is usually used as an ethnic slur ... Most people of Japanese descent in these countries consider it offensive.

but most importanly, as Dave A put it:
It doesn't matter what YOU consider it to be, it matters what THEY consider it to be.

Guess what is with the mods powertrip lately. From now on then I will take offense to being called an Aussie, because I am Australian. Guess people on this forum go overboard. Get a life.
Aussie isn't offensive. Yank, could be, but most Americans realize it's just like the British being Brits.

Japanese is on the same level as wetback, chink, etc. Do you use these terms when describing something from Mexico or Asia? I doubt it.

Aussie isn't offensive. Yank, could be, but most Americans realize it's just like the British being Brits.

Japanese is on the same level as wetback, chink, etc. Do you use these terms when describing something from Mexico or Asia? I doubt it.

I quoted you for truth as well as your other points:tup: ........ when I saw this thread I knew it would go down this path.

Comon guy's this is a topic that's not up for debate or argument, I can understand that some of you did not know that word was racial a slur but now that it has been made obviously clear you need to understand and respect that.

Why is it so hard to comprehend that? some of you seem as though you don't care that it is a slur, and will use it because you want to!

Also some one earlier posted that the term started in the US, which is true unfortunately.....here is a link to 1942 US Army propaganda to US soldiers just so you can see how destructive and ignorant that slur is. It's goal was to show or teach American soldiers how to tell the difference between a Japanese civilian and a Chinese civilian why on tour in China .... very disgusting if you ask me.

I understand why Daan created the sticky and have no problem abiding by the wishes of this forum, and hope you guys do the same

http://www.ep.tc/howtospotajap/

Whether or not the term has ever been used in a racist or disrespectful manner in this forum, daan requested that it not be used in the future as it could be seen as racist or disrespectful.

Surely, it is not too much to ask that on GTplanet, a forum dedicated to Gran Turismo, created by Japanese, we avoid using a term which might be offensive to Japanese. It's as simple as that.

Please don't use the word in it's all capital form, Japanese, either. For that has a different equally-offensive meaning.

Agreed. When used to address a PERSON, it's derogatory. When used as the shortened version of "Japanese" in description of an inanimate object, it's nothing like the insults you listed.

It's like when describing an inanimate object from Mexico, I sometimes shorten it to "Mexi". It's not derogatory, it's just shortening for brevity. My hispanic friend, for example, calls his car the Mexi-mobile. Why? Because it's quicker than using the full word.

Agreed. When used to address a PERSON, it's derogatory. When used as the shortened version of "Japanese" in description of an inanimate object, it's nothing like the insults you listed.

It's like when describing an inanimate object from Mexico, I sometimes shorten it to "Mexi". It's not derogatory, it's just shortening for brevity.

Honestly, you need to let it go. Do yourself a favor and head down to the local VFW and start talking about "Japanese" cars, etc..... and see what kind of response you get. Oh wait, your probably not old enough to get in there.... Instead, read the Wiki link that daan provided and was listed already.

The usefulness of this thread has ended.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back