Just bought G29 and unsure with break pedal

• Thread starter Krypton78
  • 11 comments
Germany
Germany
GTRP_Krypto_
Hello Community,

A few days ago the spring of the throttle pedal of my Thrustmaster T150 broke. Because I bought the wheel only a few month ago (release of GT sport) I had warranty, so they gave me 180€ store-credit. I puted 60€ on top of it and bought a G29, because I didnt like the quality of the T150.
At home, I was positive surprised how high the quality is, esspecially the pedals.
But there is a little issue. The, let me say, moving-way of the brake pedal is compared to the T150 very short, so its hard for me to dose the braking. But this is essential for taking the speed through the turn.
In the moment I'm far away from the laptimes I reached before.
Do you think I will get used to it?
I thought about exchanging the brake-spring with the clutch-spring, which I don't use. But I'm afraid it won't work because the way of the clutch is much more, so the clutch-spring wont fit with the brake-potentiometer.
Thanks in advance for any ideas

IMO, the G29's brake pedal is actually good. The rubber brick needs you to apply force on the pedal, and makes it easier to dose the braking. Way better than on DFGT.

Once you feel the resistance to push the brake pedal, its stroke is not over. You need to force it to the end. And you dose the braking by dosing that force.

There are aftermarket springs for G29's brake pedal that you can buy if you don't like the rubber brick.

Hello Community,

A few days ago the spring of the throttle pedal of my Thrustmaster T150 broke. Because I bought the wheel only a few month ago (release of GT sport) I had warranty, so they gave me 180€ store-credit. I puted 60€ on top of it and bought a G29, because I didnt like the quality of the T150.
At home, I was positive surprised how high the quality is, esspecially the pedals.
But there is a little issue. The, let me say, moving-way of the brake pedal is compared to the T150 very short, so its hard for me to dose the braking. But this is essential for taking the speed through the turn.
In the moment I'm far away from the laptimes I reached before.
Do you think I will get used to it?
I thought about exchanging the brake-spring with the clutch-spring, which I don't use. But I'm afraid it won't work because the way of the clutch is much more, so the clutch-spring wont fit with the brake-potentiometer.
Thanks in advance for any ideas

It's a little block of rubber that limits the travel, not the springs.

You certainly might get used to it, so that's the first thing to try. Some people like the rubber stopper, some don't, but for sure it takes a little getting used to.

The rubber removes about 1/4 of the travel from the pedal. It can be removed, but then the wheel still doesn't use the full travel without further modification. What happens is you get a deadzone at the end (you press further, but nothing happens, braking is already 100%).

If you do take the pedals apart, do it the right way.

That's the short version :)

Or better yet let Barry from simracing Garage explain it:

He does explain it very well, but I'm waiting to see what he finds when examining it more for the load cell review due soon. Someone commented there, linking back to my post about the resistor :D ...

SRG_G29_comment.png

When I was fixing my deadzone problem I can't say that I noticed any curve as such. It just seemed to be a linear fixed calibration which caused the deadzone. That said, right now I'm just going by memory and haven't time to unpack my G29 to check (and probably won't in the next week or so either).

I'm hoping that the load cell review will answer whether it's a curve or linear. It may well not add any more information on the deadzone though, since a load cell doesn't have a defined end to its travel! As in, if G25/G27 need 20kg for 100% braking, that might be only 15kg on a G29.

Last edited:
Thank you very much for the detailed answers!
I think you're right, I should leave it as it is and get used to it.
Removing the rubber won't be a solution like you say, the deadzone would make it worse.
About linear or not, on the cover it says "non linear brake pedal, responsive brake simulates pressure-sensitive brake systems".
What I did is, I exchanged the clutch unit with the brake unit, so now the brake is on the left side and clutch in the middle, so that there is a good distance between brake pedal and throttle pedal :)

I think you're right, I should leave it as it is and get used to it.

Yeah, give it a chance. I had the stopper in for most of the time I was using my G29, and got proficient with it - it does assist in hitting between 60 and 80% braking consistently. I just didn't like that it felt like an artificial aid in doing that, and also that it took so much force to get 100%.

About linear or not, on the cover it says "non linear brake pedal, responsive brake simulates pressure-sensitive brake systems".

Well the pedal feel is certainly non-linear, I'm just not sure if they've programmed the firmware with a curve to try and match it. I'm not saying they definitely didn't, since it would make sense, and maybe I just didn't notice - when I did the resistor hack I'd already changed to using a T300 (which doesn't need it), so I didn't spend long using it with the G29.

This is me.;)

Ah-ha! Thanks!

Thanks @PocketZeven :)

Hmm, he touches on the curve a bit when in DIView, but doesn't add much. Interesting that he found it fine on console, which maybe hints to it being a linear response in the firmware. It's bugging me now, so I will get my G29 out (probably next week) and try to run a definitive test - voltage out from pedal vs DIView reading should do it.

As regards the load cell itself, I'm sure that on G29/G920 it will only take about 75% of the force compared to G25/G27 to get 100% braking. The fixed calibration in G29/G920 will keep the max force constant, whereas the G25/G27 will calibrate to the load cell... trying to work out whether that means it will be more or less than 75%... I think less, since the load cell might go further (closer to 0V or +5V) than the pot allows.

So it looks like there is a curve, or at least a significant region where it diverges from linear...

G29_Brake_Curve.png

I measured the voltage output from the pedal while checking against DIView showing Raw input values (0 .. 255). (Pink line is just for visual reference, placed by hand).

It's more than could be explained by measurement error, I think.

So it would seem that even my mod of fitting a resistor to stretch it back to 0 .. 100% won't completely solve it. But, the curve looks like a rough match to the GTEye spring... which I have, so that could be why I didn't notice it!

I did an another changing on my peadals today.

Because I did not like the dosing of the brake, I exchanged the clutch- spring with the brake- spring.

And I'm glad that I've done it! Because for me its easyer to control it when the pressure you need is not so high.

So summarized I did 2 changes, which I can only recommend:
- I exchangged the whole clutch and brake untits with each other, so now brake is on the left side (more distance to throttle, ergonomic better)
- And the exchanging of the springs for better controlling of the brake

Back