Just can't do it!!!!!!!

  • Thread starter Thread starter scoperoc
  • 44 comments
  • 4,600 views
Messages
79
Messages
on PM only
I cannot complete the Vettel challenge to save my life!! :grumpy: I have tried it over and over and over again with a wheel and the DS3, I'm lucky if I can complete 1 lap with either, I actually do better with the DS3 but still having a hard time completing 1 lap in under 1min 12 sec. when I can get a full lap in and when I get on the 2nd lap something ALWAYS happens. Any tips?? or anything? Anyone have a spare X2010 to trade or give away? I don't have tons of cars (about 150 or so) but I will trade you what I've got. I do have a job so I don't have countless hours to keep playing and playing to try to do this and after 4 hours last night I got nowhere... :banghead:
 
I fought with this also, as have many others. I couldn't do it with DS3, had to use my wheel. Best advice that I can give is forget about any vehicle you've ever driven, treat this thing like a F-16 on wheels. Many were losing precious seconds by over braking, etc. Maintaning speed through the corners is how I manage to pull it off after 20 tries.

Also, walk away for awhile as getting frustrated (like I did) won't make you faster.
 
The Vettel Challenge is crazy!! I just unlocked it last night. I use a G27, ive only tried the Monza and Nurburgring GP tracks so far, and ive only managed to scrape through with Bronze.

I usually drive manual, but for this car, i had to go with Auto. I just dont have time to think and react quickly enough with the speed of this car! I also take traction control off, put SRF on and turn the ABS up to 10.

For Monza, if you're not already doing it, use the green tarmac through the chicanes (you wont get DQ) and its the fastest way through them. That should shave off seconds from your lap time.

For Nurburgring, for the 2nd and 4th turn, there are wide areas off the curb, which are just road. You wont get DQ for going over this, so i just full throttled it through those 2 turns, that should shave off some seconds as well.

I havent tried Suzuka yet, but from what I'm reading on this forum, its the toughest one!

Goodluck mate!
 
I'm still working on this myself but I have just discovered that if you change view to the highest viewpoint, with just the nose showing, that it really helps your brain deal with the speed better - as you can see further ahead!
 
Just keep trying. I was frustrated as you when I first tried. I used a wheel and have gold in Monza. The other two are bronze. I plan on trying to gold those two in the future, but I'm just glad I passed. :crazy:

But if you're using a wheel, turn the force feedback all the way down. The car will be much more responsive and you'll save time by not wasting energy wrestling with the wheel. This helped me a lot. I also recommend using SRF.
 
i do it with the nose showing, i cut the chicanes also whenever possible never works out
 
My biggest tip would be to turn on the driving line, as it helps you keep track of your line (obviously), and take note of the suggested red braking zones and remembering how late you can delay your braking points.

I consider myself a decent driver, definitely not a pro, and i never use driving line but since i was struggling with this the first day i tried it. I found if you use the driving line as reference i it tightens up your driving by a huge amount making you more consistent. This way you can concentrate on finding the latest possible braking points. You'll find you can most of the time simply brake immediately after the suggested red zone through the apex and as soon as you're through that apex get on the power. To my amazement after i started doing this i bronzed all three challenges within 4-5 tries.

Good luck, you'll be flying through the turns at max speed in no time 👍
 
I tried Suzuka last night for 2 hours - couldnt get more than 1.5 laps in! Its definitely the hardest of the 3. I have to constantly walk away from my G27 to compose myself due to the utter frustration of going off the track slightly in the 2nd lap and having to re-start all over again, espeically when i know i was going at a decent pace to clear the event!

oh well, hopefully by the end of the week i'll get it!
 
if you can manage use the manual mode shifting, the car will stop faster allowing later (minimal) braking
 
Don't trade for the car, it'll be far more satisfying when you beat it! On monza you can cheat, on suzuka and nurburgring watch vettel's demo videos. He takes a good line but is slow to get on the throttle sometimes which is where you can make up time. I silvered suzuka and gp and golded monza. GP WILL give you the most trouble and discouragement but all you can do is keep lapping. Turn srf on and try to go flat out whenever you can. Also use the auto-box so you don't have to pay attention to shifts.
 
Don't trade for the car, it'll be far more satisfying when you beat it! On monza you can cheat, on suzuka and nurburgring watch vettel's demo videos. He takes a good line but is slow to get on the throttle sometimes which is where you can make up time. I silvered suzuka and gp and golded monza. GP WILL give you the most trouble and discouragement but all you can do is keep lapping. Turn srf on and try to go flat out whenever you can. Also use the auto-box so you don't have to pay attention to shifts.

Trade for the car as you like (its no shame or so), whereas I did too, then I got a wheel and managed too beat the challenges pretty easy to Gold (well suzuka was a bit of a pain) but the thought of having golded them is what counts, the car doesnt really matter. IMO the car is a dumb car anyway. I only use it on my Bspec driver and for the fun fast laps to earn cash, not online!
 
I got bronze on 2 and gold on Monza...I don't understand though, I did that with ABS on 1 and everything else off, including SRF and TC. I don't see how people need SRF with this car. lol
 
Yer I had to use auto to get it in the end need supercomputer shifting abilities for manual.
 
I just subscribed to this thread so I can find it later. I should finally unlock the Vettel Challenge tonight after I beat the new seasonal events. I have nothing to add, just wanted to say that there is a lot of good info in here.

Edit:
Just thought of a question. Is a wheel absolutely necessary? All I will have access to for the forseable future is a DS3 and a HKS racing controller.
 
yeah i already traded for it, I have 2 now, but that wont stop me from trying to beat the challenge for a 3rd one, at least having one gives me practice with the vehicle.
 
I took a day of X2010's. Made it easier the following day so you might try that? :)

If not, high doses of caffeine and watching a few F1 races in double the speed might help you! ;)
 
Just takes practice bro... you have to retrain your natural driving insticts and that of course will take some time... the first 2 tracks gave me minimal problems compared to suzuka which took me 4 hrs. just be patient,relax, and dont forget to breath lol it helps slow things down. GL bro!!
 
There's no doubt that this challenge is properly hard.

I second the suggestions to take a break when frustration sets in. The point where tiredness overtakes the learning process is where I try to have a break. (Trouble is, this point is usually long gone before I realise what's happened, and I find myself in a groundhog loop, crashing at the first corner again and again.)

Practise is the obvious answer, but it is the right one. I'd say to start deliberately slow, and work your way up to faster times. That way you can guarantee yourself some clean two-lap runs, and build up more of a rhythm than if you're falling off the track at random intervals.

I didin't find I needed SRF for the bronzes, but I've been trying it out in my attempts to go faster, and it does seem to have helped get a silver on GP and a gold on Monza (cut chicanes, I'm not that good). It seemed to make it easier to brake deep into the corners, and certainly helps keep the car from skipping off on some of the bumpy sections of track, and even some of the curbs.

I use a wheel, and I imagine it's better for those more delicate sections, through the chicanes, where you need to point the car accurately before nailing it. I'd suggest choosing one control method and sticking with it, though. Definitely don't switch between the DS3 and the wheel during the same gaming session.

I'm not sure, but there's a slim chance that for some people the challenge is so fast that the lag in your TV/display might have an affect. If your TV has any "smooth motion" type effects, you could turn them off to see if it makes any difference. I'm speculating here, so I wouldn't be surprised if I'm talking rubbish.
 
I'm in the same boat. I shaved about 15 seconds off my best time once I switched off TCS, and used ABS at 1 with SRF on. Still not there, but it won't be long.

I could send you an X2010 to practice with, although it has mileage. PM me and I'll get it sorted for you, I'm free to trade today.
 
I got totally frustrated with this, epsecially when I got disqualified before leaving the Pits! Joys of a DS3 I suppose. I would stand even less chance with my wheel!!

Forutnately someone wanted to trade me a coloured X2010 (unused) so I have managed a little practice with it without the fear of disqualification. Really ought to try driving it more as I mostly let Bob use it! I was also gifted a high mileage (8000+ miles) Red Bull liveried X2010 as well. After an overhaul it was 1 HP down on the new one. Now if I could get a Carbon one from somewhere I could forget about the Challenge completely for the sake of my sanity!!!!
 
More than 5 hours of suzuka with controller last night. It's the last one to bronze for me and i've run a lot of laps that were enough to beat the time just not 2 laps in a row. Best time is 7 tenths off with 2 sloppy laps. Just so frustrating to go off just because get nervous the second lap.
 
i must be one hell of a driver , did them all bronze medals in 1h:20m

used dfgt. automatic transmission , and skid control on , abs 1.
 
It does seem now that more and more people are unlocking this challenge, and they are struggling to get anywhere with it.

I still maintain that the disqualification system needs to be turned off. It's so annoying getting one clean lap only to make a silly mistake within sight of the finish line and have to start all over again. This, if nothing else is very demoralising and annoys people.

Yes there is a good chance that if you've gone wide you would normally be disqualified then you won't be able to get a Gold time. This is probably true, but not really the point. There isn't much enjoyment to be had from these challenges, so people simply won't bother. PD might as well have not included them in the final game.
 
i must be one hell of a driver , did them all bronze medals in 1h:20m

used dfgt. automatic transmission , and skid control on , abs 1.

No, you're not, with a wheel it's very easy to get at least bronze.

I found it to be easier concentrating on 1 track, for an hour or 2, and then quit.

I bronzed them all within 2 hours, Golded Monza the next day within 10 minutes, Nurburg, I was so close, 0.180 to gold... that will change tonight.

And then Suzuka 👎

Oh, and watch the movies, Vettel is very slow in the hairpin corners, that's where the time is!
 
I suppose I have totally lost interest in this Challenge. For that matter I have also abandoned some of the other "easier" challenges. My idea of fun is not to be disqualified every 5 seconds while trying to control a misguided missile! Games should be fun.
 
Golded Monza, Silver on the Nurb and i'm under a second off silver for Suzuka.
 
A mate of mine spent two hours at mine the other night getting increasingly frustrated, convinced he would ace it and was still pulling 1:18's and 20's so yes... take a break and come back when calmer.
 
this one definately needs a wheel. i got to 1.1 sec off bronze with DS3 after about 6hrs! got a wheel and quickly bronzed it.
the biggest thing that helps is the more acurate steering but mainly the partial throttle in places where you would otherwise be "off" throttle (albeit v briefly) with a DS3.
Taking a break of a day or 2 also helps.....your brain processes much info when sleeping and you suddenly find yourself going faster
 
After a couple of hours of driving on those tracks with the X2010, I think it shouldn't be too much of a challenge to bronze these events with a wheel, if you consider yourself even a mediocre driver.
 
What would make it 100% better for me is if the restart time was quicker.

I can’t stand having to wait for the ghost car to leave:banghead:
 
Back