Just completed the 4 hour roadster event

• Thread starter Karlton93
  • 17 comments
Karlton93
What absolute bull****, sorry about the porfanity but this was ridiculous.
As a matter of fact I raged so much I decided to sign up to this forum just to tell what happened.

I tried making this race a bit of a challenge for me; instead of adding 200bhp to my car I decided to just give my Miata '00 an oil change, racing air filter, sports catalyctic converter and sports hards. I ended up with 171 bhp and 1070kg.

So anyway I started the race and all was going well, until my first pit stop an hour into the race. I noticed that nobody else pitted, I just assumed they’d pit maybe in the next few laps and kept driving. 20 minutes later still nobody else had pitted but I wasn’t worried as I had reclaimed my lead and didn’t think much else of this.

Then after another 10 minutes (this is about 1 hour and 30 mins into the race now) I noticed my hard-earned 20 second lead was starting to decrease. Looked at the leaderboard and saw some driver who was somewhere around 5th or 6th earlier (his name was E.Delannoy) was now in second place and catching up at an alarming rate. Within another 20 minutes he was right in my rearview mirror. Now I don’t know how he all of a sudden got faster but it can’t have been a new set of tires as I had been eagerly watching the map for other drivers to pit which nobody had yet done.

I reached the 2 hour point of the race and pitted again, 5 laps later Delannoy also pitted along with everyone else. When the dust had settled I was around 15 seconds in the lead. 2 hours and 30 minutes into the race my lead was around 30 seconds but I noticed Delannoy was catching up again even quicker this time. By around 2 hours and 55 minutes into the race he had overtaken me as my tires were knackered again so I pitted at the 3 hour point (also he was already 15 seconds ahead right before I entered the pits). When I left the pits I was 45 seconds behind with the final hour left to catch up. Catching up was going pretty well until there was half an hour left; I managed to cut his lead to 20 seconds but it started going back up. When I finished he was 40 seconds in front. Everyone else was a lap or two behind.

So what I want to know, how is it possible that the other drivers only needed to pit once but their tyres performance pretty much matched mine. And how is it possible for a car that was clearly slower than mine to become faster LITERALLY IN THE MIDDLE OF A RACE.

This has really annoyed me. I didn’t race for 4 hours to get beaten by a car that can magically increase its power in the middle of a race. I didn't make my car stupidly powerful and this is what I get. 👎

A similar thing happened to me when I started the race last week. '07 MX5 with hard sports tyres and a racing air filter, took the lead on the first lap and held it for about 20 minutes, then I made a mistake and the guy in second who was no trouble to keep behind me took the lead and went off like he had 500BHP under the hood, it was horrible.

Weird. I just completed it today using the Mazda Eunos Roadster J-Limited (NA) (forgotten the year). Only used an oil change racing softs and won 9 laps a head, no trouble at all.

Weird. I just completed it today using the Mazda Eunos Roadster J-Limited (NA) (forgotten the year). Only used an oil change racing softs and won 9 laps a head, no trouble at all.

Racing softs? I've not tried, but they must easily give you about 5 seconds a lap. The OP (and myself) were on sports tyres.

The AI probably only pit for fuel. MX-5's are so kind to their tyres and AI don't push the cars that hard, so I'm not suprised they can go 2 hours on the same set. As for suddenly speeding up, I've come to expect it after realising that a lot of AI cars are actually tuned and the AI just don't use that power like they should. They just use it in short bursts.

I did this in A-Spec last night. I used a supercharged MX-5 on sports soft tyres and had a 12 lap lead with 10 minutes to go. So I parked it and crashed into the AI until the time ran out and I could just complete my lap and win. :lol:

I've noticed similar behavior in some of the shorter events (haven't made it to endurance races yet but I'll keep this thread in mind when I do).

There always seems to be a rabbit in the back of the pack that takes time to surface...and when he does, he'll blow past you on rails. I have tried tuning a car for a challenging race start and it drives me nuts when this happens. They should tell you what the avg lap time you need to win is. I understand the A.I. taking it easy at the beginning but lap times shouldn't vary by more than a few seconds.

i raced 3hr 45 mins of this with my mx5 and had a huge lead, I waited for the 2nd place mx5 in the last turn, crashed into him and stuffed him into the sand and pinned him into the wall, then pulled the e brake and walked away for a few mins leaving the ai jammed up. came back and crossed the line and tried to forget about 4hrs in a mx5.

Anyone else get so board with this race they sabotage the ai for most of it?

Anyone else get so board with this race they sabotage the ai for most of it?

After lapping the whole field 5 times over, I started spinning each one out as I lapped them. :lol: Not a single car was left undamaged that race. :sly:

I almost fell asleep twice while doing this. Had to pause and fetch myself some Corn Flakes for that much needed energy boost.
Also, you really get fed up with Miatas and Tsukuba for a while after this challenge.

So many people have been complaining about the AI being poor drivers and when they suddenly become a challenge people still complain. Those poor AI!
I had the same thing happen on the Laguna enduro where I took a stock '97 Civic Type R and was in the lead for 30 laps until magically a Chevvy came from nowhere driving like Sena! I still continued and ended 3rd over all. I can't complain as I set my self up for a tough race with an underpowered car and that is exactly what I got the whole way round.

I had this happening at Indy500, a standart 908 driving in the leading pack all time for tyre management. Then around lap 150 the ford GT just brakes loose from place 4 and took the lead. I managed to keep up with him and win by 1 sec :D

I didn't touch this mx5 race yet...

I'm more pissed about the vehicle reward for the Roadster 4 hour race. It'll be something that gets parked and never used.

Back