Just got a Driving Force GT

• Thread starter Hoolz14
  • 10 comments
I prefer stock FFB.

Start with low power, and forcing the car into oversteer with feinting, you will need full throttle and fast steering responses to maintain any sort of slide. But it will teach you the basics. I recommend the ft86 "racing" (Road car on steel wheels with the red towing eyes) on comfort mediums.

Maybe add a little power (ecu, intake and sports exhaust) and go from there. Feel the cars weight moving around, let the wheel tell you what's going on with the front wheels, don't fight the wheel too much.

When you can feint the car into a slide and hold it, change to comfort hards, and go again, this time slides will come easier, but you will have to work harder to get the front to turn in properly.

You need to get a proper feel for weight transfer, and how to use it in your favour.

Then you can start trying out some higher power cars.

I also recommend the clio v6, as it gives a nice pointy turn in, a lively rear end, and nice, catchable, controllable full throttle slides, but too much throttle without the right steering inputs will see you spinning. This car is great for learning about weight transfer, and how it will affect the car in different situations.

Practice, practice, practice.

Good luck.

I prefer stock FFB.

Start with low power, and forcing the car into oversteer with feinting, you will need full throttle and fast steering responses to maintain any sort of slide. But it will teach you the basics. I recommend the ft86 "racing" (Road car on steel wheels with the red towing eyes) on comfort mediums.

Maybe add a little power (ecu, intake and sports exhaust) and go from there. Feel the cars weight moving around, let the wheel tell you what's going on with the front wheels, don't fight the wheel too much.

When you can feint the car into a slide and hold it, change to comfort hards, and go again, this time slides will come easier, but you will have to work harder to get the front to turn in properly.

You need to get a proper feel for weight transfer, and how to use it in your favour.

Then you can start trying out some higher power cars.

I also recommend the clio v6, as it gives a nice pointy turn in, a lively rear end, and nice, catchable, controllable full throttle slides, but too much throttle without the right steering inputs will see you spinning. This car is great for learning about weight transfer, and how it will affect the car in different situations.

Practice, practice, practice.

Good luck.

Seriously?
First off, you start on a grippier compound than you need to. No logical explanation for that, definitely not if you tell him to change to CH afterwards.

the FT86 racing has a lot of grip. The Clio V6, is MR. Nothing you're suggesting actually makes any sense.

I REALLY don't mind people using these cars, but suggesting them to beginners is something completely different.

I am actually going to agree with Dom. Best way to learn, drive the track slowly and every corner try to step on the gas at corner exit. It's not about getting to drift but puttng enough to see the car starting to step out. This gets your muscles accustom to the feel of the grip levels. Keep taking the corners with more and more throttle. It's going to take about a month or more but don't give up. Best car to practice in my opinion is a silvia or something with not too much power.

Seriously?
First off, you start on a grippier compound than you need to. No logical explanation for that, definitely not if you tell him to change to CH afterwards.

the FT86 racing has a lot of grip. The Clio V6, is MR. Nothing you're suggesting actually makes any sense.

I REALLY don't mind people using these cars, but suggesting them to beginners is something completely different.

Not really.

You must walk before you can run.

You simply suggested settings. Gave no explanation about why, and left the thread.

I tried to give my opinion on good cars to get accustomed with oversteer and weight transfer, I also explained my suggestions.

Your opinion is just that, I am also entitled to mine. Please stop forcing your opinion onto others, and trying to shout down others opinions.

Trying to outright drift, without first understanding the basics of initiating, catching and controlling oversteer, is just going to lead to frustration.

I suggested these cars as I feel they help give you a feel for these things. As I explained above.

Not really.

You must walk before you can run.

You simply suggested settings. Gave no explanation about why, and left the thread.

I tried to give my opinion on good cars to get accustomed with oversteer and weight transfer, I also explained my suggestions.

Your opinion is just that, I am also entitled to mine. Please stop forcing your opinion onto others, and trying to shout down others opinions.

Trying to outright drift, without first understanding the basics of initiating, catching and controlling oversteer, is just going to lead to frustration.

I suggested these cars as I feel they help give you a feel for these things. As I explained above.
86 racing is way too grippy for a newbie. Are you on a wheel Fussy?

Thank you, DM, for being mature enough to agree with me on a point. I wasn't trying to be elitist, but teaching someone to drift on a grippy tire compound in MR cars... It's not going to work. :s

86 racing is way too grippy for a newbie. Are you on a wheel Fussy?
Yes I am.

I have personally had good results.

I shall reiterate that my Inital response was not intended as an introduction to drifting. It was intended to establish the point that you must understand weight transfer, initiation techniques, catching a slide on the throttle, and controlling a slide in a way as to end it in a controlled manner.

Jumping straight into a car tuned for understeer, with no grip and massive power will see frustrating results.

This is where I would start, and I how I did start.

Controlling a slide during normal fast driving, then moving onto styling it up, as per drifting.

Again, it's my opinion, and as a user of a dfgt in gt6, it's a valid opinion.

Are you on a wheel?

Have you tried the car on the suggest tyres with the suggested upgrades?

Abs 0 with brake balance 4-6 around the Nordschleife and I was sideways around most of the corners.

Not proper drifting, no, but an excellent introduction to a controllable oversteer environment.

If you can't control a normal slide, you won't be able to drift. That is my point.

If you can control and correct a normal slide, then you can move onto actually drifting, with proper the techniques involved for maximum angle etc.

My suggestion of the clio v6 is, again, a suggestion for a car that teaches oversteer control. Not a car that I'd use for full on drifting, but a car that is very fun to slide around in, and responds very well to the fundamentals of oversteer control techniques.

Jumping in at the deep end never helps when you can't swim.

Just because one person (or a load of people) thinks the only thing you can drift is FR on comfort hards, doesn't mean it's the law.

If the OP takes my advice, that's up to them.

Most of us live in a free world. I don't understand the mentality of "your wrong because I don't agree". No, we have a difference of opinion, neither of us is right or wrong, that's the beauty of an opinion.

I've been reading some, and tested some stuff out.

Its going far better right now, and i bought a 370Z to start out with which is going well.

Only thing is, i can get the car to his side, but whenever i touch the gas, it spins on me.

I've been reading some, and tested some stuff out.

Its going far better right now, and i bought a 370Z to start out with which is going well.

Only thing is, i can get the car to his side, but whenever i touch the gas, it spins on me.
If you add me on PSN (or send me a message if my list is full) then I can give you some lessons as I use a wheel too. I can also see exactly where you're going wrong and give you some pointers to improve.

Back