Just had a soiled trousers moment.

  • Thread starter Thread starter jeepster2982
  • 12 comments
  • 1,593 views
Messages
527
Messages
deimos256
So I'm running a b spec race and all of a sudden the power blinks and shuts my ps3 off. I let out a shrill yelp and after waiting a little bit turned the unit back on and let out a huge sigh when I saw my save still intact. Now if this power dip happened while I was saving it would have probably resulted in a corrupted save. All my weeks of grinding and wheeling and dealing in the market would have been gone. I wouldn't have even cared if we were allowed to back up our saves but noooooo stupid copy protection. There has to be a way to allow us to back up our save yet locking it to ensure that it can't get given to everyone.
 
They said they're releasing a patch in late december.
 
That's why I use a UPS ;)
 
Maybe your save IS corrupted, and will slowly begin to fall apart in the next few weeks?!

Just kidding! :D
Glad you were so lucky.
 
I know this feeling. I lost many hours of work on Test Drive Unlimited. If this happened on GT5, im not sure I would go on with (GT)life.
 
Well I changed out my HDD this week(original Phat 60GB, Card reader yada yada) and put a 140GB in it. I used the Back Up Utility to an external HDD

Lost nothing.

Now last night I had the same moment and was unlucky enough to get a YLOD.

I went thru the whole teardown, Gave the mainboard a quick bake in the oven, redid the Thermal Paste, Reassembled.

Fired it up and promptly did another Backup.

Still all there so far.
 
Gave the mainboard a quick bake in the oven

:confused: :D

I should just search but this is on topic. What do you mean by this?
 
:confused: :D

I should just search but this is on topic. What do you mean by this?

Literally baked it! To re-set some of the solder joints on the board - it can fix the YLOD problem (albeit, usually only temporarily).
 
:confused: :D

I should just search but this is on topic. What do you mean by this?

No it is exactly as I said. I baked it in the oven.

I know most of the guides on the net say to use a heatgun but when it's done at the factory it is "baked" and frankly I would rather it be in an even heat environment then blasting away at it with concentrated heat.

I mean I actually had to tear it down 3 times as the first time I think I left some gaps in the thermal paste(I should have known better and checked before reassembling it)

Anyway I used Arctic Ceramique and its pretty thick sticky stuff so I think I may have loosened it up one of the chips or IHS's when I removed it the 2nd time.

YLOD became instant so I knew I had to take more serious steps.

TL;DR:

200C for 10minutes. I made some small "stands" out of tinfoil to raise it off the oven rack(The mainboard has a very large isolated border so easy to find "safe spots" to raise it up)
 
Reading the subject, I thought this thread would be about a specific feature of GT5 that made you praise their (PD) effort...


But it's just Another crying thread :lol:
but i understand you bro! Good nothing bad happened.
We are all waiting for the patch in late December if what they said is true!

I cannot wait to back up my data on a USB stick.
and play my game on any PS3 :P

Christmas Holidays , here i come!
 
Yea I'm sure it sounds like a crying thread but all in all im happy with this game, just a couple of thorns you know?
 
This happened to me in GT5P. I stopped playing after it happened. There is nothing worse then going and doing the same old boring races over again.
 
Back