Just had a soiled trousers moment.

deimos256
So I'm running a b spec race and all of a sudden the power blinks and shuts my ps3 off. I let out a shrill yelp and after waiting a little bit turned the unit back on and let out a huge sigh when I saw my save still intact. Now if this power dip happened while I was saving it would have probably resulted in a corrupted save. All my weeks of grinding and wheeling and dealing in the market would have been gone. I wouldn't have even cared if we were allowed to back up our saves but noooooo stupid copy protection. There has to be a way to allow us to back up our save yet locking it to ensure that it can't get given to everyone.

Maybe your save IS corrupted, and will slowly begin to fall apart in the next few weeks?!

Just kidding! :D
Glad you were so lucky.

Well I changed out my HDD this week(original Phat 60GB, Card reader yada yada) and put a 140GB in it. I used the Back Up Utility to an external HDD

Lost nothing.

Now last night I had the same moment and was unlucky enough to get a YLOD.

I went thru the whole teardown, Gave the mainboard a quick bake in the oven, redid the Thermal Paste, Reassembled.

Fired it up and promptly did another Backup.

Still all there so far.

:confused: :D

I should just search but this is on topic. What do you mean by this?

No it is exactly as I said. I baked it in the oven.

I know most of the guides on the net say to use a heatgun but when it's done at the factory it is "baked" and frankly I would rather it be in an even heat environment then blasting away at it with concentrated heat.

I mean I actually had to tear it down 3 times as the first time I think I left some gaps in the thermal paste(I should have known better and checked before reassembling it)

Anyway I used Arctic Ceramique and its pretty thick sticky stuff so I think I may have loosened it up one of the chips or IHS's when I removed it the 2nd time.

YLOD became instant so I knew I had to take more serious steps.

TL;DR:

200C for 10minutes. I made some small "stands" out of tinfoil to raise it off the oven rack(The mainboard has a very large isolated border so easy to find "safe spots" to raise it up)

Reading the subject, I thought this thread would be about a specific feature of GT5 that made you praise their (PD) effort...

But it's just Another crying thread :lol:
but i understand you bro! Good nothing bad happened.
We are all waiting for the patch in late December if what they said is true!

I cannot wait to back up my data on a USB stick.
and play my game on any PS3 :P

Christmas Holidays , here i come!

This happened to me in GT5P. I stopped playing after it happened. There is nothing worse then going and doing the same old boring races over again.

Back