Famine

GTP Editor, GTPEDIA Author
Administrator
United Kingdom
Rule 12
GTP_Famine
This is the discussion thread for an article on GTPlanet:

Kazunori Yamauchi Responds to Gran Turismo 7 Fan Outrage

Following one of the most difficult days in the 25-year history of Gran Turismo, series founder Kazunori Yamauchi has released a statement to fans regarding the future of Gran Turismo 7 — just two weeks into the title’s life...

I do wish PD would stop using the phrase "microtransactions". £15.99 for 2 million in-game credits is not a microtransaction, it's a transaction.

Hopefully Kazunori Yamauchi's comments hint at the evolution of the game toward something more akin to GT6's approach to in-game purchases, but what Kaz, PD and Sony must understand is that the game is broken now and they are riding their luck expecting people to make do with what is currently a seriously flawed game economy for however long it takes them to correct the problem.

However, the frankly ludicrous price of their in-game credits is just plain wrong, period, and they need to be drastically altered or preferrably scrapped completely.

edit: However much I disagree with the current implementation of microtransactions in the game, GT7 is still an excellent game and great value for money as it stands.

Last edited:
I do wish PD would stop using the phrase "microtransactions". £15.99 for 2 million in-game credits is not a microtransaction, it's a transaction.

Hopefully Kazunori Yamauchi's comments hint at the evolution of the game toward something more akin to GT6's approach to in-game purchases, but what Kaz, PD and Sony must understand is that the game is broken now and they are riding their luck expecting people to make do with what is currently a seriously flawed game economy for however long it takes them to correct the problem.

However, the frankly ludicrous price of their in-game credits is just plain wrong, period, and they need to be drastically altered or preferrably scrapped completely.
Agree. He doesn't want people to play the same race over and over. That's what people do in every game. No different than what I do in GTA V. You find a way to make money and do it over and over. I am retired and still do not have the time to grind for credits on this game no matter how much I like it. It needs to pay out better for races. I will never buy fake money with real money. If I have to do that I will just go to iRacing.

Lucky for me that I waited for purchase.
First point was that I haven't got a PS5 and my Thrustmaster pedals broke and Thrustmaster fails to pick this up.
Second point, the last GT's where more or less beta versions when they came out. They lacked so much things, it is best to wait and purchase when the game is decent.
When PD will fix the AI, the massive amount of bugs, the need to be online all the time and the career mode is is actually a propper single player mode, I will pick it up for 20 euros.

Kids these days (my generation) seem to be hopelessly addicted to the new live-service model of being drip-fed content throughout a game's "life cycle", that could easily have been present in the release version like it would have been ten years ago. Personally it just seems like more incentive to wait until a year after release, when the game is available at an 80% reduction, to jump in and enjoy a finished product.

Personally I get it. Spot an issue and do everything you can to resolve it. Sometimes these things take time, the issue is the game is almost entirely online, so not much you can do when they need to down the servers to fix it. I imagine this sort of thing will happen a few more times as other updates come out, there will always be bugs they haven't spotted when testing.
I get that a major part of this game is longevity and feel a lot of people are jumping on it too quickly saying it's not complete or it's too much of a grind. That's the point, it's not supposed to be complete in 2 weeks! Take your time, enjoy the experience.

How about increasing the payout for all other races, then? That way we can grind them all equally and have a variety.

Or have a bonus as a percenage of 1st place completion. You can then reward early birds, and when new content is out your percentage is dropped and you have to rework to get the max bonus.

The 24 hour downtime while embarrassing, is not the real source of the outrage.

It's this:

At the same time the pricing of cars is an important element that conveys their value and rarity, so I do think it’s important for it to be linked with the real world prices.
The exact reason we play videogames is because we can't afford to drive these cars in the real world. Now you try to create artificial scarcitiy for digital goods, basically handling cars as NFTs in the game. This is either sinister or misguided.

and if possible would like to try to avoid a situation where a player must mechanically keep replaying certain events over and over again.
Oh yes, the key in this statement is: "if possible" that gives them the get out of jail free card.

TL;DR

Kazunori Yamauchi tells fans he doesn't want players to have to mechanically play the same races over and over a day after making changes to the game that meant players would have to mechanically play the same races over and over for even longer than before

Last edited:
Kids these days (my generation) seem to be hopelessly addicted to the new live-service model of being drip-fed content throughout a game's "life cycle", that could easily have been present in the release version like it would have been ten years ago. Personally it just seems like more incentive to wait until a year after release, when the game is available at an 80% reduction, to jump in and enjoy a finished product.
Then do that? Everyone is different.

TL;DR

Kazunori Yamauchi tells fans he doesn't want players to have to mechanically play the same races over and over a day after making changes to the game that meant players would have to mechanically play the same races over and over for even longer than before
No, he said "if possible" he would like to avoid it. Clearly it is impossible you see. You are asking the poor guy to do the impossible.

Not good enough. The game was incomplete, I thought oh its a new GT game, we won't have so many problems at launch like the usual. Boy was I wrong.

They spent time developing a beautiful dynamic time and weather system only to have 2 30 minutes ''endurance'' races hidden in the missions. The potential for further events is there.

Last edited:
Say one thing (want us to get cars without grinding or microtransactions) then does something else (reduce the already low payouts, limits roulette prizes, expiration on invitations, cars only available limited time). What a Hypocrite.

I don’t think its all Kaz’s fault though, he genuinely wants people to enjoy the game and our passion for cars. He must have a lot of pressure or simply mandates from Sony to implement this system to maximize earnings. It’s business and I don’t fault them for that but the way it’s going and how it’s affecting the game experience is ridiculous.

GT7 still an amazing game and deeply enjoy playing it. I hope he comes through on his promise and look forward to the new events. Not holding my hopes up that there will be better payouts, just more events and I may be fine with that.

Last edited:
Back