Kerbal Space Program

• Thread starter Submerged
  • 247 comments

Did you want to check out this game after this post?

• Total voters
I assume the nuclear stuff was downloaded. I'm trying to find parts for a nuclear powered sub.

Yes, it's the Interstellar Extended mod. It has plenty of nuclear reactors and engines.

Edit: Upgraded my atomic car. Reconstructed the entire front of the car, to give more of a 1920's race car look. Added a jet engine at the back for an extra speed boost. Mounted an antenna on the fin. Added a fuel cap to the fuel tank, a winch to the front (both thanks to the KAS mod) and a toolbox in the trunk (thanks to the KIS mod).

Skärmbild (151).png Skärmbild (152).png Skärmbild (153).png Skärmbild (154).png

All these extra parts brought the weight up to 2500 kg, but it was worth it!

Also, I named the car Automic 1600 and made this poster:

automic-1600_h.png

Last edited:
Started a new game in Scott Manley mode (career mode, no revert flights, no respawning kerbals).

So far I killed four kerbals (Jebediah was the first of the gang to die), but the risk involved in every launch and take off makes the gameplay more rewarding.

Edit: My aerospace engineers are proud to present the Bee II Light Observation Aircraft. The development of this biplane aircraft claimed the lives of three kerbal test pilots and left two traumatized for life (not kidding, they look terrified when they sit in this plane!), but with a final product of this quality I'm sure they'd all agree that it was worth it.

front_Bee II_1.png

front_Bee II_2.png

With a stall speed just below 30 m/s (thoroughly tested...) and a thrust-reversible tail-mounted propeller, this plane has some serious STOL capability, which makes it ideal for island-hopping and for surface sampling. The reinforced main landing gear has a wide track and provides good stability for cross slope landings. The cruise speed is a modest 50 m/s and gives you plenty of time to admire the landscape far (hopefully) below.

Edit 2: Made my first landing from cockpit view!

It was actually easier than in 3rd person view, because you get a better feeling for the motions of the aircraft and the position of the aircraft relative to the runway.

Skärmbild (161).png

Last edited:
The old Bee II plane has evolved into the Bee IV B (or as the kerbal pilots use to call it, the "A" (since A comes before B in the alphabet...)).
In this version, the plane has got a cargo bay, two turboprop engines and a retractable landing gear with lights. Thanks to the light and powerful engines, it has a cruise altitude of 8000 meters and a cruise speed of 140 m/s. Top speed is 165 m/s at sea level (but consumes 4x as much fuel as cruise speed at cruise altitude). The stall speed is just below 30 m/s and the range is 2000 - 3000 km (depending on your patience - fuel consumption is increased by 50% during time warp) .

I installed the AtmosphereAutopilot mod, to make long distance flights a little more comfortable. The fly-by-wire system is extremely helpful for landing in the terrain, as you no longer have to micromanage pitch and throttle, so I can certainly recommend that mod.

front_Bee IV b_2.png
front_Bee IV b_3.png

Next generation: Bee V. Replaced the spaceplane wings with proper airplane wings from the Airplane Plus mod. The central fuel tank is gone and has been replaced by having most fuel in the wings instead (as it should be). There is also a small external fuel tank attached underneath the fuselage to extend the range. The cargo bay has been moved to the rear of the plane and the tail now has a cargo ramp that can be deployed. In front of the cargo bay there is a passenger module, bringing the capacity up to 1 pilot + 3 passengers. Passengers can enter through the cargo bay or through a new door that has been added between the passenger module and the cockpit.

As the plane was much too heavy for its size (about 60% too heavy) I edited the config files for the cockpit and the passenger module, reducing their mass from 1000 kg to 300 kg, which in my humble opinion is more realistic. The reduced weight allowed me to reduce the power of the engines as well, from 60% to 50%. Now the entire aircraft sits at around 3,500 kg with fuel. Stall speed is still 30 m/s and cruise altitude remains at 8000 m. Not sure if the range remains the same, haven't had a chance to test that yet.

Skärmbild (188).png

From the first test flight, exploring stall speed at close to sea level:

Skärmbild (186).png
Skärmbild (187).png

From the second test flight, landed in the terrain at dusk after a 2 hour fuel consumption test:

Skärmbild (189).png

Last edited:
Did an epic mission today with the Bee V. The first objective was to deliver a probe to a mountain for a temperature reading. Approached the drop zone low and slow, opened the cargo ramp, delivered the probe by parachute and then quickly powered up and turned away to avoid crashing into the mountain side.

Second objective was to continue eastwards for about 700 kilometers to take a series of atmospheric pressure readings around one of the bigger mountain ranges of Kerbin. Took four pressure readings and then turned back to base - now more than 1300 kilometers away! I was a bit concerned about fuel, since I had used more than half of it already. However, since my plane was significantly lighter now I could climb another 500 meters up to an altitude of 8.5 km to get thinner air, faster ground speed, a better angle of attack and a very reasonable fuel consumption of 0.015 units of fuel per second.

When reaching the base, I had around 30 units of fuel left, or 7% of what I started with.

In total, the flight lasted for 6 hours and 16 minutes.

Below is a screenshot over the mountain range from the second objective:
Skärmbild (196).png

Expanding on the probe delivery capacity, here is a quadruple probe deployment system fitted to the cargo bay of the Bee V.
Skärmbild (198).png

Deployment of the first test probe. No parachute... Forgot to check the staging!
Skärmbild (200).png

Having adjusted the staging, the parachute deployed as it should.
Skärmbild (201).png

Returned to base to see the probes descend.
Skärmbild (202).png

Attempted to build a high altitude edge-of-space airplane. Didn't get higher than 15500 meters though, which was a bit disappointing. But it managed to do Mach 1.9 and circumnavigate Kerbin, so that's at least something.

Skärmbild (209).png

Size comparison with the Bee V turboprop:
Skärmbild (210).png

First spaceplane! Works like a charm, although there is no margin for error with the amount of rocket fuel it's carrying - just about 0.5% oxidizer remained after the deorbit burn. Might need to add a drop tank, just to stay on the safe side.

Skärmbild (214).png

In orbit:
Skärmbild (212).png

Skärmbild (211).png

Re-entry in cockpit view:
Skärmbild (213).png

Sailplane challenge!

I decided to build a sailplane, just to see how well it would work in KSP. The result: Pretty good. Although the glide ratio I could achieve was not more than 10, which is slightly worse than a Boeing 767 with the engines turned off. I think that it has a bit too much drag... But apart from that it flies nicely. At 900 kg it's pretty light by KSP standards (although a bit heavy compared to real sailplanes) and the stall speed is actually very close to the real deal, about 15m/s.

I designed it with a single main landing gear, supplemented with a tail wheel and small wheels at the tip of the wings. Two small jet engines provides thrust for taking off and enough fuel to last for about 20 minutes, and then (depending on what altitude you're on) you can have about 20 minutes of gliding. Taking off is a bit tricky, since you need to compensate for the roll angle of the aircraft, but landing on that single main gear is super easy. It stays well balanced until the aircraft has come to a stop.

Also, entering a forward slip to drop in height without gaining excessive airspeed totally works :D

So, in conclusion: Less drag would be nice, but it's still a lot of fun to fly it.

Skärmbild (231).png
Skärmbild (232).png
Skärmbild (233).png
Skärmbild (234).png
Skärmbild (235).png

Space shuttle challenge!

(How hard can it be?)

ksp_shuttle.png

I started a whole new game, and decided to build a space station. And for that it would be nice to have a space shuttle, so that became the first part of the project.

My initial design was a bit of a failure, with a glide ratio of about 1:1 it basically meant that if you could see the runway ahead of you, you would not be able to reach it.

For the next attempt I moved the center of mass forward, added more wing surfaces, a pair of canards at the front and last but not least four afterburner jet engines.

With these changes it actually flies pretty well, with a stall speed of about 100 m/s. It's not powerful enough to reach space (and certainly not to reach orbit), but at least it's now able to return to base at the end of a mission - which is always a good start.
Below are some screenshots from the final approach and landing.

Skärmbild (290).png Skärmbild (291).png Skärmbild (292).png

Next step is to figure out how to get these 60 tons of scrap metal into orbit...

To be continued.

Update: Space flight achieved!* Below is a screenshot of the shuttle at the launch pad. Next to it the highlight of the mission: the short hop into space!.

Skärmbild (293).png Skärmbild (294).png

(*Although the shuttle actually made it into space, it was only after spending about a minute burning excessive [strike]fat[/strike] fuel on the launch pad... Guess a few more boosters would be nice.)

Update 2: Nearly made it to orbit. I added an extra pair of boosters and repositioned the main engines to get them closer to the center of mass. With these changes, I had much better control of the shuttle during the launch. At 20,000 meters I lost control for half a minute though, which cost me a lot of fuel and speed, so in the end I couldn't achieve a full orbit. Still, it was a big step forward compared to the previous flight.

Below, from left to right: The orbiter nearly in orbit; re-entry and atmospheric braking; landed back at the base.

Skärmbild (296).png Skärmbild (297).png Skärmbild (298).png

Update 3: Orbit achieved! Added a third liquid fuel engine for more thrust and two drop tanks on the back for more fuel and better weight distribution. It's a very low orbit though, just a few kilometers above the atmosphere. A bit more fuel and then it should be perfect!

Skärmbild (300).png Skärmbild (301).png Skärmbild (302).png

Update 4: First payload delivered! It's a satellite scanning the sky for asteroids.

Skärmbild (304).png

Re-entry is so awesome!

Skärmbild (305).png

This one I call "Moon over the Shuttle".

Skärmbild (306).png

Last edited:
Hey, fellow KSP enthusiast here!

looks like you been running the thread all on your lonesome, I'll put some screenshots in if you like:

A good shot of the SP. NART lander leaving the Mun.
derk sid of mun.PNG

An over-powered rocket disintegrates, the pod escaped but the launch pad is wrecked
screenshot0.png

Minmus ScanSAT deploys its resource scanner
minmus scan.PNG

Great pictures! Never got into the whole resources scanning thing yet, but maybe I should try it out :)

I improved my space shuttle design. The previous version could make it to orbit, but the launch was a bit complicated because of asymmetrical thrust and shifting center of mass. Basically, it was perfectly stable at the start of the launch and at the end of the launch, but in between it could go pretty wild from time to time.

So I ditched the external fuel tank and instead I added an extra rocket fuel tank to the orbiter and swapped two liquid fuel tanks for rocket fuel tanks. Additionally, the four solid rocket boosters each carry a fuel tank as well.

The booster rockets are now perfectly balanced around the center of mass, and the orbiter ditched one of its liquid fuel engine, since two of them is enough and they each weigh 4000 kg!

As a result, it's now a lot easier to reach orbit. The drawback is that due to swapping liquid fuel for rocket fuel, the jet powered flight time got reduced from 90 minutes to around 20 minutes, so de-orbiting maneuvers need to be planned a little more carefully than before.

Below, the new shuttle is delivering a science module.

Skärmbild (315).png Skärmbild (316).png

A second flight to add a power station and a shuttle docking port to the science module. In this flight I discovered a flaw in the shuttle cockpit design. When you place a docking port at the nose, it doesn't navigate properly when you command from it. So docking needs to be done by eyeballing rather than relying on the instruments. It's annoying, but so far two out of two dockings have been a success, so it is doable.

Skärmbild (317).png Skärmbild (318).png

Got the KIS and KAS mods, since they're pretty much a must for making a big space station. The Kerbals have a funny order of priority though - let's first go into orbit and then we can start reading the manual!

Anyway, I think I've got the hang of it now. First KAS-assembled module is now attached to the space station!

Skärmbild (322).png Skärmbild (323).png Skärmbild (324).png

Meanwhile, on Kerbin, I made two "ILS" trucks and placed them by each end of the runway. So now I can target them to get the vector to the runway, and I can also see how far away the runway actually is (which helps a lot during the approach).

Skärmbild (325).png

I made the illustration below to share some technical details of the shuttle.
(Higher resolution here: https://eran0004.deviantart.com/art/Kerbal-Space-Program-Space-Shuttle-Design-718894511)

KSPSHUTTLE.png