King Kong

  • Thread starter Thread starter Zardoz
  • 54 comments
  • 2,707 views
Zardoz
Premier last night. First reviews:

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/king_kong/

Near as I can tell, the only thing some reviewers object to is the 3-hour length. Otherwise, the raves are pretty much unanimous.

No surprise, of course. We all assumed Jackson wouldn't blow it.
Critics always complain about a three-hour long (or longer) movie. I figure it has to do with the fact that they have their one press pass and their family and friends aren't with them.

I guess if I were at work and someone extended a project to be 30% longer than the average I would complain too.

They should think less of it as work and more as entertainment.

I personally prefer a longer movie if it is good because I get more movie for my money.
 
I quite like longer films if they're good. Films like Aliens I think could've been half an hour longer even. When I go to the cinema it feels more like a proper night out whenn it's a longer film as well, besides that 1 and a half hour films don't really cut it for me, they more often than not lack depth of plot.

A crap film is a crap film regardless of lenth though.
 
live4speed
I quite like longer films if they're good. Films like Aliens I think could've been half an hour longer even. When I go to the cinema it feels more like a proper night out whenn it's a longer film as well, besides that 1 and a half hour films don't really cut it for me, they more often than not lack depth of plot.

A crap film is a crap film regardless of lenth though.
Rare is a crap film 3 hours, unless it is a TV miniseries, then they are 90% crap because they try to drag a story out over 4-6 hours or more.
 
It's because the storys have been fleshed out, extra depth can be contained in a longer film, but there have been crap long films, they're just as you said, not that common.
 
I might be going to see this over the weekend while I'm in London.
 
I'm pro kong.

The theatrical trailer, and the trailer on Leno the other day, have got me sold.
 
20051205l.jpg
 
Oh man, you've ruined the movie. I didn't want to know he dies.
 
First little bit of this movie bored the hell outta me. Rest of it made up for it 100x.
About an hour of the movie is just crazy action/2minute breather/crazyaction..on and on..its great!!
 
I finaly rented and watched this. It was incredible. ( the tribes folk did scare the bejezuz outa me though ) Although I am going to buy it, I will probably fast forward it everytime to the part wherethe venture into the jungle on the island. I fully enjoyed the movie, and actually got a tiny bit misty and the end when Kong died. And then really pissed with all of the reporters climbing on him to take pictures.

9.5 / 10
 
I found it average to above average to be honest. I got the impression is was a serious movie, until some of the silly action scenes. King Kong throwing her around like that would kill her, right? The dinosaurs stampeding over everyone without them killing them, the scene when the kid was shooting the bugs off that man without the man getting shot once... I found some of them silly and some of the CGI dodgy.

Some of the scenes were great though, like the bits in New York and the tribe (and I agree with Jay, they wern't that pleasent and was well done!).

I'd give it 7/10, but was still enjoyable.
 
You thought a movie about a 15-foot gorilla inhabiting an uncharted island which is also inhabited by dinosaurs was going to be a serious movie?!
 
I fully agree some of the scenes were outrageous, even for fantasy.

They say, what 17 died? Seemed a lot more than that.
Many of the guys seemed to have been killed and mysteriously brought back too.

But yeah, it's amazing how "lucky" Ann was.
 
I guess i just love to go against the flow, but i can't beleive people didnt notice the bad effects in this, everyone says how good they are. THERE NOT! the whole thing looks so green screened its ridiculous, it left all the action sequences (bar the bit in the pit) with no impact at all for me. I think i said i'd give Kong 6/10, im not sure. But baring in mind how bad my recolections are of it, that seems a bit high.

Will need to see it again at some point, but i certainly am not rushing out to buy this. Especially as you just know theres going to be a "72 disc superdooper special ultimate limited directors extended unrated uncut (thats 1 minute longer?) edition".
 
555
I guess i just love to go against the flow, but i can't beleive people didnt notice the bad effects in this, everyone says how good they are. THERE NOT! the whole thing looks so green screened its ridiculous, it left all the action sequences (bar the bit in the pit) with no impact at all for me. I think i said i'd give Kong 6/10, im not sure. But baring in mind how bad my recolections are of it, that seems a bit high.

Will need to see it again at some point, but i certainly am not rushing out to buy this. Especially as you just know theres going to be a "72 disc superdooper special ultimate limited directors extended unrated uncut (thats 1 minute longer?) edition".


BOOOOO

Just kidding, everyone is entitled to an opinion, even if it is wrong.:dopey:
 
Anderton Prime
You thought a movie about a 15-foot gorilla inhabiting an uncharted island which is also inhabited by dinosaurs was going to be a serious movie?!
What I meant was serious for a Fantasy movie. Disney movies like Alice in Wonderland are not that serious at all as fantasy, but King Kong was I thought, until them overally silly action scenes.
 
it was an ok movie... the scenes with kong fighting the t'rex was cool though. the skull island people were strange. tons of white people with black paint all over most parts of their bodies acting crazy, it was so rediculous... Somehow all my white friends didnt notice the bad makeup job :p

it was pretty damn boring for a good chunk of the movie
 
I am entitled to my opinion as is everyone else. I know i'm always different, whats the point of you all being the same :)
Also, its not an opinion about the SFX, they were bad, horendous for the budget. Everyone was just so clearly runing away from a green screen or attacking a digital effect.
I dont think the film is that bad, its just a complete letdown from all the hype & reviews it got.
 
I finally saw this last night. I think it was pretty good, but it just had so many positives and negatives:

Good:

SFX - Special effects on Kong was very well done, especially his face. 👍 I thought, finally, artists are starting to master CG. How about those bugs on the island? :sick:

Acting - Naomi Watts is a good actress, but I thought she turned it up a notch in this. Actors who played the captain, Mr. Hayes & Jimmy were also good. Jack Black wasn't great, but he was interesting.

Sets/Locations - Just gorgeous. I especially loved the Skull Island.

Bad:

SFX - While some aspects of the special effects were top notch, action still looked like an animation or cartoon. I guess recreating the movement of living things are still pretty tough.

Editing - Way it was cut just drove me nuts. It just kept on jumping from one scene to another, without completely finishing the previous scene.


It was pretty good as I said, but I did expect a bit more from Peter Jackson after what we've seen from him in the "Lord of the Rings" trilogy. With the trilogy, I can't see much improvements that can be made. With the King Kong, I can see so many. My favorite parts were on the Skull Island, with dinosours and the bugs. Very cool, and the bugs were seriously disturbing. Better than most horror movies, yes? :lol: I want to give this movie a "C", but for the SFX and set/locations, I'd give it a "B-".
 
"It was Beauty killed the beast."

Nooooooooooo........

It was the bullets and the 500 ft fall that killed the giant monkey...along with massive blood loss from the giant lacerations caused by 3 trex's that didn't seem to have very sanitary mouths.

That, and the multiple bullet wounds from the ships crew, lacerations/ bites from the giant bats.....I could go on, but y'all catch my drift.
 
crimson_menace
"It was Beauty killed the beast."

Nooooooooooo........

It was the bullets and the 500 ft fall that killed the giant monkey...along with massive blood loss from the giant lacerations caused by 3 trex's that didn't seem to have very sanitary mouths.

That, and the multiple bullet wounds from the ships crew, lacerations/ bites from the giant bats.....I could go on, but y'all catch my drift.
But Kong's pursuit of "Beauty" led to all those injuries. ;)
 
Back