Kircher Special 1953

  • Thread starter StarLight
  • 5 comments
  • 1,885 views
6,643
Portugal
Portugal
vd1xj4.jpg

StarLight Garage presents the Kircher Special from 1950.


Designed and built by Kurt Kircher for Charles Hughes of the Denver Region SCCA in 1953, this special was far ahead of others running at the time. German born Kircher was a test driver for BMW and Alfa Romeo before coming to the U.S. in 1949.

Initially, power was from a modified Jaguar XK120 and later changed to a Mercedes-Benz 300SL Gullwing motor and transmission. The chassis was liberally drilled chrome-moly tubing with torsion bar independent suspension and inboard drum rakes in the rear and quick-change differential. The aluminum body was fashioned by hand by Charles Lyon in a bi-valve design so the top may be removed for service. It contested well in many SCCA events through the 1950s.

The alloy body was designed by Charles Lyon, who used a two-piece construction method to allow for easy access the mechanical components when the top piece was removed. In the front was a large grille fitted with two headlights. The side exhaust pipes exited the bodywork just behind the front wheels.

The car had a ladder frame that was constructed from chrome-moly tubing, a rack-and-pinion setup sourced from an MG, and independent front suspension, and a deDion unit in the back. The car had Alfin drum brakes and was powered by a six-cylinder double overhead camshaft Jaguar engine that displaced 3.4 liters. With the help of three SU carburetors, the engine offered 250 horsepower and gave the car a top speed over 150 mph (240 km/h).


22b15d.jpg


mercedes-benz-symbol.jpg



OTHER CLASSIC CARS ARE HERE

 
Last edited: