Kit Cars, Rebodies and Replicas

• Thread starter Wiegert
  • 50 comments
You cold argue, that as a car for fun the Metro was considerably worse than the car it in some ways replaced, but was discontinued after the Metro.
I presume you're referring to the Mini?

It's worth noting that in the UK at least, the classic Mini actually outlived the Metro - 2000 vs 1997 - though for the last 15 years of its life it was arguably trading on nostalgia more than anything else, and at launch the Metro was highly rated (albeit by the British press, who a few mags aside, were perhaps a little biased).

By the time the Rover version came out it was definitely getting on a bit, and by the time it was rebranded as Rover 100 it was positively ancient, but its handling and performance were pretty good by contemporary standards throughout its life. I suspect - having seen the Youtube vids - that widespread crash testing by Euro NCAP was the final nail in its coffin, when everyone suddenly realised that a design from the 1970s/1980s wasn't that safe in an accident. Again, the classic Mini probably got a free pass for a few years on nostalgic value.

I have reasonably fond memories of Metros as a few relatives have owned them, as well as one being the first car of my best mate. By the standards of modern small cars, they may be hilariously cramped, unsafe and unrefined, but they're now old enough to be a unique, entertaining driving experience in their own right.

And of course, as mentioned, they did lend their components to some interesting production vehicles and kit cars. That sort of thing isn't so easy nowadays.

NG TC Roadster
800px-NG_TC_Roadster_kit_car_-_Flickr_-_exfordy.jpg

4743832730_2d91e20699_z.jpg

For a kit car, that sure looks amazing.

Not a replica of a race car but rather a restored race car originally built from a kit--a Meyers Manx.

1326794.jpg
james-garner-norra-mexican-1000-005-668x621.jpg

Recognize the fella in the hat?

rockford_files__120417170500.jpg

;)

Discovered a new (to me) kit car today - the Eco-Exo:

Eco-Exo-R.jpg

913616_473350559403523_63891984_o-640x426.jpg

This is very much up my street. Ultra lightweight, ultra-simple, looks well-finished (not often a kit car attribute). Relatively quick and apparently very economical, as they use 400cc engines from the Suzuki Burgman maxi-scooter. Looks like it has a very low centre of gravity too, so I bet it's quite good fun, and I can't imagine it's difficult to build.

Unfortunately, I also discovered that it's no longer being made. Which is the other problem with kit cars...

Yet another kit car sprung to mind today. Recently re-developed an obsession with lightweight, compact coupes and sports cars that aren't just fun to drive but take up minimal road space and use minimal resources too. Of all such vehicles that have actually made production (sadly, so many have been concepts never to see the light of day), the Midas Gold is probably the most appealing:

midas-gold-07.jpg

It debuted in 1978 as a kind of spiritual successor to the Mini Marcos, and like that car it originally used Mini running gear. I don't know enough about them to know when that changed to Metro parts (first Austin Metro, then Rover Metro with K-series engine and bits) but the earliest ones are the most aesthetically pleasing - search "Midas Gold" on google and most cars are later versions with wider arches and a more cluttered appearance. Here's one, though admittedly the wider arches do look better from the side:

6306528548_300fcc2ea7_b.jpg

Anyway, the premise is simple: Take simple mechanicals from an already-great car (the Mini) and put them in a more aerodynamic, lower-profile body (that doesn't rust). I believe they were quite popular back in the kit-car heyday (when some kit cars were genuinely better than the kind of cars you could buy from major manufacturers, as well as being cheaper) and when they come up for sale now, you seem to pay roughly as much as you might for something like a decent 70s/80s Mini in decent running order.

Last edited:
Yet another kit car sprung to mind today. Recently re-developed an obsession with lightweight, compact coupes and sports cars that aren't just fun to drive but take up minimal road space and use minimal resources too. Of all such vehicles that have actually made production (sadly, so many have been concepts never to see the light of day), the Midas Gold is probably the most appealing:

midas-gold-07.jpg

It debuted in 1978 as a kind of spiritual successor to the Mini Marcos, and like that car it originally used Mini running gear. I don't know enough about them to know when that changed to Metro parts (first Austin Metro, then Rover Metro with K-series engine and bits) but the earliest ones are the most aesthetically pleasing - search "Midas Gold" on google and most cars are later versions with wider arches and a more cluttered appearance. Here's one, though admittedly the wider arches do look better from the side:

6306528548_300fcc2ea7_b.jpg

Anyway, the premise is simple: Take simple mechanicals from an already-great car (the Mini) and put them in a more aerodynamic, lower-profile body (that doesn't rust). I believe they were quite popular back in the kit-car heyday (when some kit cars were genuinely better than the kind of cars you could buy from major manufacturers, as well as being cheaper) and when they come up for sale now, you seem to pay roughly as much as you might for something like a decent 70s/80s Mini in decent running order.
Never seen this car before... interesting!

I've always seen Manta Montages as M12s, but that isn't to say I'm right. And for the record, the blue car appears to be a decent V8 build, but I'd say the overwhelming majority of cars were VW-based (I've seen as many as 16 lined up alongside one another) as I spoilered. Manta made the Montage-T with a GM V6 which was intended to replicate the M6GT.

I really like the front end of that car. It almost reminds me of the Shelby Series 1, in a way. The side profile looks a little too front end heavy, and the rear is just terrible.

What's remarkable is, I could swear that the tail lights are 996 units with the bodywork covering the 'indicator' lense portion.

unnamed (18).jpg
s-l225.jpg

1978-1987 Ventura. A VW-based kit car that was made in Brazil by L’Automobile Company. Kits were exported to the US, Germany and Argentina. In addition to the standard VW air-cooled flat 4 it could be fitted with 1.6 or 1.8 liter Volkswagen water cooled in-line 4 cylinder engines. Production continued for 10 years.

758237f34b0cbeed0126e4553ffbae42d4fb0a01.jpg

671caadc82935d13f350165a279b379dcd2a58ce.jpg

62a95f6e192bd1a14c889deb2a1f75fbb173e703.jpg

Happened upon an Aquila GT while down an image search rabbit hole looking for Appliance Dia-Mags.

6252917468_84b2c1530a.jpg

I think they work a real treat on it.

Back