Kobe Bryant passes away at 41 after helicopter crash.

• Thread starter ryzno
  • 17 comments
I can't believe that this came as a shock to all of us. He was amongst the greatest basketball players of his generation and I can't believe that Kobe Bryant had died this shockingly and tragically. Now he will be part of the Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame, albeit posthumously. My condolences goes to Kobe's family and may he rest in peace.

R.I.P. Black Mamba. :guilty:

Earlier, a game between the Toronto Raptors and San Antonio Spurs, both teams took 24 second violations to honor him in the opening tip of the 1st quarter.

I don't follow basketball (or any sports really, save for a couple car races each year) but I found this to be a shock. I may not know much about basketball but I know enough to know that he was one of the most famous names in it for a long time now, and seeing someone like that die so suddenly in such a way is just harrowing. And his daughter too, along with 7 other people. Just damn...

Leave it to CNN to mention sexual abuse allegations against him 17 years ago within minutes of the news of his death first breaking.

Leave it to CNN to mention sexual abuse allegations against him 17 years ago within minutes of the news of his death first breaking.
The title to this article irked me too. The media can all just 🤬 off.

83055328_2857146467670068_6264756533372911616_o.jpg

This is very sad, so much potential.

When I stopped following basketball, Kobe was a standoffish loner who was admired but not so likeable.

So I was shocked to see him completely transformed as he had long visits with the ESPN crews during last year's US Open in NYC.

The dude was very friendly, warm, insightful, humble and just an all around pleasure. It wasn't just a one off either, he visited multiple times and even did guest commentary on a match or two.

His basketball career was complete but I thought we would see much more from him and be amazed all over again. I already was.

Very sad. RIP to all the victims of this tragedy.

To be fair, it is not just CNN but multiple news outlets, including the BBC here in the UK, that have discussed the allegations.

I agree, though, that it is in slightly poor taste to bring up the allegations against him quite so soon after his death, not least out of respect to the other victims. It is, however, also important that history is not airbrushed simply for reasons of taste.

Back