Koenigsegg Smashes The Production Car Speed Record With 277mph Run

More power to Koenigsegg. They make some unreal hypercars. And I believe them if they can crack the 300 mph mark. Boy, how far have we come along in automobile history up to this point? Wow!

More power to Koenigsegg. They make some unreal hypercars. And I believe them if they can crack the 300 mph mark. Boy, how far have we come along in automobile history up to this point? Wow!
I know right. Just 10 years ago bugatti was holding it down doing 253mph...now 300 is the benchmark

I'm not being disrespectful, but isn't that a cop out? all kinds of test "pilots" know the risks of going fast. Going over 80mph and sustaining that speed, is a pretty big risk. To do 277,with the same hazards, was a risk to the pilot. Why stop now?
Where else can 300mph be reached, in a controlled environment, to make it an official run?

I'm not being disrespectful, but isn't that a cop out? all kinds of test "pilots" know the risks of going fast. Going over 80mph and sustaining that speed, is a pretty big risk. To do 277,with the same hazards, was a risk to the pilot. Why stop now?
Where else can 300mph be reached, in a controlled environment, to make it an official run?
Even in a controlled enviroment, you're still talking about a one-and-a-half ton car flying at 300 miles an hour. The amount of kinetic energy in that is just enormous.

277 MPH: 10,717,072 Joules

300 MPH: 12,515,332 Joules

Plus, the mechanical strains on the car would be significantly worse than the Veyron at 253 - if you remember, the Veyron's tires would last all of 15 minutes before blowing apart. That's at 50 MPH below the hypothetical 300+ speeds. At 300, I don't think the tires would last long enough to maintain 300.

Plus, if the road surface is uneven, the car feels it in a far more extreme fashion at 300 than at 277 or 253.

Back