How interesting. I was in TJCgaming's lobby. Had a good race with his resident alien but I couldn't overtake because the lag was unplayable... but on TJC"s stream there was no lag at all.
I was expecting to see me lagging from his pov but it was super smooth.
I'm on a PS4 with 70Mb up/15Mb down. TJC is on ps5 but I don't know his ISP speed.
So although I don't buy the cross platform thing (because PC games have no issues and technically every single PC is of a different spec and is effectively all cross platform) maybe the cross platform issue has some weight?
Maybe it's to do with the different OS on ps4 and ps5? In which case there will probably never be a fix
Hey matey, just by chance came across your post. It's me TJ, and your video is an eye opener on my lobby quality for PS4 users. Liked and subbed of course 🙂
My ISP is TalkTalk in the UK. After moving house I get slightly lower speeds due to my new house being slightly off a main road, instead of having the cables run alongside it.
My download speed is only 30Mbs and my upload is 6Mbps. I've had to significantly alter my bitrate and settings due to this to make it smooth in 1080P/60FPS.
You are not alone with your experience in lobbies with a PS4. Dizze says the game lag he gets on the PS4 in my lobbies is just like yours, almost impossible to play.
When streaming, I use 80% of my upload speed. This only leaves 20% for game allocation, I.E. How my car appears to you on track. Download speed, in this instance, is used to show on your screen where the cars are and how smooth they are.
Your ISP is clearly not the issue. My ISP is not either, since how all, or most cars in the lobby for me are smooth.
So, in my opinion at least, as I am not a tech guy, the only defining factor must be the connections between the PS4 and PS5. This is something that Polyphony are crystal clear on. As they separate PS4 and PS5 players in daily races. But not in Nations and Manufacturer.. Interestingly.
My theory is, and I have made videos about the problems between the 2 consoles racing against each other on the channel, that PD are only using dedicated servers for Nations and Manufacturers. Dailies and lobbies seem to be peer to peer connections only.
And this is why I think they separated the 2 consoles for dailies. This exact issue.
The gameplay I experience with both consoles is fine on PS5 online, in both their view and in mine on the PS5. We need to get more PS4 players opinions on how they are also. Because that amount of lag is not acceptable.
It may be that the best way to play the game is on the 5. And that's not our faults. It's theirs for making a PS5 game, and turning it into a cross gen title with literally zero experience on how to do so.
My best advice would be to pick up a PS5. A bit easier to get now but still have to play the lottery on them, so to say.
I have 3 PS5s here, so it's definitely possible to get one.
Good to see your post. Was great having you with us today