lagging on the track

  • Thread starter Thread starter jonnyrock87
  • 16 comments
  • 1,372 views
Messages
6
Canada
New Brunswick
Messages
alixjon
i have highspeed internet connection on my ps3 and i clear my cash all the time and delete cookies and s*** and my car still lags quite a bit, and i got p11 turtle beach headset. PLEASE help cuz its ruining my experience with gt5!
 
Sometimes disabling the firewall on you're modem (depends how comfortable you are disabling it on the network), OR setting up the modem to disable the firewall to the PS3. That's a start anyway.
 
jonnyrock87
...and i got p11 turtle beach headset.

I'm curious here. What exactly does your headset have to do with lag? I mean, that seems about as relevant as what sort of chair you're sitting in or what sort of stand your PS3 sits on.
 
I'm curious here. What exactly does your headset have to do with lag? I mean, that seems about as relevant as what sort of chair you're sitting in or what sort of stand your PS3 sits on.

It uses bandwidth, even more so depending on using higher quality.

Try lowering the quality under accessories settings.
 
It uses bandwidth, even more so depending on using higher quality.

Try lowering the quality under accessories settings.

I'm clueless about the different types of headsets.
But I have heard many times that wireless headsets cause more problems than wired ones. And I've seen myself that disabling mics altogether, or even putting mic quality at low seems to make for less connection issues.

I think this is particularly relevant if you're in a room with many cars on track, with several people with iffy connections &/or wireless headsets &/or wireless connections to the ps3...

In other words, for online racing, I really think that it's a combination of various connections with potential issues, that make for problems, rather than just one person with a less than ideal connection.

And I definitely think that having the ps3 connected directly to a modem/router seems to be better than having it connected via a bridged router that's then connected to a modem. (Which that's where the potential firewall settings might make a big difference.)

Also, doesn't matter if you've got the spiffy high speed internet if you're on a network where other people are using the internet at the same time. (Like someone else is streaming video, and another family member is on Skype or Facetime or whatever!)
 
jonnyrock87
i have highspeed internet connection on my ps3 and i clear my cash all the time and delete cookies and s*** and my car still lags quite a bit, and i got p11 turtle beach headset. PLEASE help cuz its ruining my experience with gt5!

Just a helpful hint mate, read the AUP (acceptable use policy) for GTP. As you're new you may not have read it but it's mandatory reading and can be found using the search function.

Correct grammar and spelling is a site requirement.

Oh, and welcome to GTP :)

On topic: you may have high speed internet but if the wiring or cabling is inferior then that can cause lag as can racing others with inferior (or incompatible) connections.

Do you get lag when in a room on your own?
 
Do you have a NAT: Type 2? If you have strict DMZ your router and PS3 (pretty hard to get it done). When entering public rooms always check the star, 3 stars - Kinda laggy, 4 stars - No lagg, 5 Stars - Great! and at least have 1 Bar/Ping. You can't just enter other people room without checking the connection rate.
 
Thank you guys i will try those methods and inform you how it goes.
 
Do you get lag when in a room on your own?

How would someone know this?

I'm sorry if this seems a stupid question. But when someone says lag, I'm thinking of like when one car goes shooting at an impossible speed, sometimes up in the air like a rocket.
If no one is there, who would see that?

For example, it's often repeated in lobbies - "if everyone's lagging you're the lagger rejoin".
Meaning the way you know that it's you who's lagging is because everyone else looks to be lagging. Whereas to the non-laggers, just the lagger looks to be lagging.
 
Ok i put my room on fixed host and everyone was lagging. Is that because of one individual racer or is that because of me?
 
Ok i put my room on fixed host and everyone was lagging. Is that because of one individual racer or is that because of me?
For example, it's often repeated in lobbies - "if everyone's lagging you're the lagger rejoin".

Obviously rejoining isn't an option if you're hosting a fixed-host lobby!

Fixed host is something else... if you're hosting.
ie: I wasn't thinking you were doing fixed host. I figured you were lagging in other people's lobbies.

So is that all you changed?

How many people were in the room?
Were you using your headset?
Was mics enabled?
Were multiple people talking on the mics?
Was anyone else using the internet in your household while you were in the lobby?
Were you using the internet for any other purposes while in the lobby? (example: downloading, streaming video or music)
Did you change your modem connection somehow?
Do you have a hard wire connecting the PS3 to your modem/router?
Do you have a bridged router?
What does it say under your connection? (example: "Nat type 2 your bandwidth is very high")
 
watermelonpunch
How would someone know this?

I'm sorry if this seems a stupid question. But when someone says lag, I'm thinking of like when one car goes shooting at an impossible speed, sometimes up in the air like a rocket.
If no one is there, who would see that?

For example, it's often repeated in lobbies - "if everyone's lagging you're the lagger rejoin".
Meaning the way you know that it's you who's lagging is because everyone else looks to be lagging. Whereas to the non-laggers, just the lagger looks to be lagging.

I would put it on heavy damage and lightly tap a wall, lagging oftentimes causes unreasonable heavy damage in this instance.

Probably should have mentioned that, been a long day :dopey:
 
Do you have a NAT: Type 2? If you have strict DMZ your router and PS3 (pretty hard to get it done). When entering public rooms always check the star, 3 stars - Kinda laggy, 4 stars - No lagg, 5 Stars - Great! and at least have 1 Bar/Ping. You can't just enter other people room without checking the connection rate.

The stars don't indicate lag, that's the bars. The more stars there are, the more frequently the room updates where everyone is (it ties directly into the race quality option when starting a room). Higher values are often the cause of lag, not the solution, lower values mean that people with a bad connection to the host will appear to update their position almost as often as everybody else. Also, I tend to avoid less than two or three bars unless I know the host at least by (a good) reputation to avoid... unpleasantness.

jonnyrock87: Is your PS3 wired to your router? Also, what do you set the race and chat quality to? If it's wired and you set the quality to medium then it could mean you need a new router, contact your ISP and ask if you need an upgrade. You should do this regardless of issues if it's been a while since you got a new one; they should happily give you a free upgrade if it's necessary, they don't like losing customers.
 
OK first off thank you guys for all th input. I know this can be a touchy subject to most people. I am wired to a modem and my ps3 is the only thing that is being used, and i have a NAT 1 which is standard. I'm going to try some more things to stop the lagging.
 
I would put it on heavy damage and lightly tap a wall, lagging oftentimes causes unreasonable heavy damage in this instance.

Probably should have mentioned that, been a long day :dopey:

Ah! Didn't know about that! Thanks, good to know.

OK first off thank you guys for all th input. I know this can be a touchy subject to most people. I am wired to a modem and my ps3 is the only thing that is being used, and i have a NAT 1 which is standard. I'm going to try some more things to stop the lagging.

Nat1 lagging - I would say that's unusual.
Nat1 means you have the PS3 directly into a modem without a router. ? At least that's when I've shown to have Nat1 - when we had just a modem (because the cable company brought the wrong piece of equipment when we first switched).

I'm going to suspect 1st your modem, then your actual service.
What kind of modem do you have? Is it your own or provided by the service?
 
My provider gave us this modem when we got rogers. We do have a cable internet, and phone bundle if that makes a difference
 
I resently found out that my p11 headset were making me lag. What i did was unplug them before i got in a room blow in the end like you with the old systems, and plug them back in when im in the room. That will work untill i get higher bandwidth. P.S no one could hear me throughout the race.
 
Back