LAN GT4- How To (Please help)

I have a PS3 connected wireless, and a PS2 with network adapter and/or a slim PS2.
Do you have just two consoles or more than two?

If you have three or more consoles, you must use a switching device (router, switch or hub).
With only two consoles, you can use a crossover cable or a switching device.

I have a linksys router and wireless adapter for my PS2 so all of those are connected wirelessly. I wanna know if theres a way to LAN just through wireless or what i have to do.
You should have no trouble having an all-wireless LAN. I have not done this myself yet, but I foresee no problems doing it (so far...) and I still need to add a wireless section to the guide.

From the thread and guide im still confused, do i just connect the PS2/PS3 to the router with an ethernet cable and then try it, or do i also need wires to connect to the PS2 and PS3.
There are gaming bridges from LinkSys and D-Link (it sounds like you already have one...) that you can use to network two consoles, if you don't want to use a router or wires. I'm not sure if they will network more than two consoles, though, but if you want a separate gaming network, then that's another way to do it.

{edit} "use a pair of Game Adapters to form a "cable-less cable" between two game consoles for head-to-head gaming"

Also whats the difference between an ethernet cable and a crossover cable?
My guide describes the differences, with a wiring diagram, too.
The cost should be the same as for a normal cable.

Have you got it working yet or do you need more help?

Cheers,

MasterGT

I think you'll need a switch rather than a router, and I don't think it's possible to have one WLAN machine and one non-WLAN machine.

A router normally has a switch built into it.

With a wired/wireless router or switch, you can add a wireless gaming adapter to a/each wireless console and use cable connected consoles, too. The router can handle it.

Cheers,

MasterGT

A crossover cable works, plus it is the simplest LAN (hardware-wise), but you must use a networking device if you ever add in the third console.

Cheers,

MasterGT

Sup guys.. Very good info here. Just a quick question, below are pics of the crossover cable I bought.. I have the older PS2s. Don't tell me Im gonna need a networking add on thingy. Are these the right wires? I just need to link 2 ps2's together. Thanks.

Sup guys.. Very good info here. Just a quick question, below are pics of the crossover cable I bought.. I have the older PS2s. Don't tell me Im gonna need a networking add on thingy. Are these the right wires? I just need to link 2 ps2's together. Thanks.

If you have an older PS2 you'll probably need a network adaptor for each unit. Just check the back of each unit. If you have a port which one end of the cable will fit into properly (it is like a phone jack but bigger), then you're fine, if not, then you need the network adaptor for that machine.

If you need them you should snap them up right away. I'm almost certain that Sony stopped making them a long time ago. I needed some about 2 years ago and even then they were hard to find locally. Amazon also had some, but I was eventually able to track two of them down at Best Buys in my area. They were the last two I've ever seen on a shelf in a store in this area.

If you have an older PS2 you'll probably need a network adaptor for each unit. Just check the back of each unit. If you have a port which one end of the cable will fit into properly (it is like a phone jack but bigger), then you're fine, if not, then you need the network adaptor for that machine.

If you need them you should snap them up right away. I'm almost certain that Sony stopped making them a long time ago. I needed some about 2 years ago and even then they were hard to find locally. Amazon also had some, but I was eventually able to track two of them down at Best Buys in my area. They were the last two I've ever seen on a shelf in a store in this area.

Wow good to know thanks!

We have started doing a lan game once or twice a week now and would like to know how to get more than 2 laps per race. It seems to default to 2 laps every time we play. We had assumed we just need to change the "host" setting to more than 2 laps but doesn't seem to affect the 2 lap maximum. Please help!

You can change those settings. I believe you change them in the options under arcade mode. If not then 2 player settings. It doesn't seem like the correct place, but it is. If those don't work and let us know and I will check our settings. I can't do it now as I'm not at the lan setup right now. We run 10 lap races as there are 2 setups and usually 4-5 people that want to race.

I'm pretty sure its 2 player options that will do it.

You could check out the cars used in our LANs in the Local Gatherings forum (we've run 9 in the UK so far, covering up to 23 participants). I've also got a file in here somewhere in a thread called "Complete B-Spec Car Testing List" (or some such) which is an Excel file containing a B-Spec time for every car around Trial Mountain.

Hi, sorry for digging up this thread. I want to connect a ps3 and old ps2. I did it with a hub and now I use a cross over cable.

I am positively sure I entered the correct IP's. Set players =2. Monitors = 0. But still the non-host machine (either ps3 or ps2, doesn't matter) stay in with 3 dots. Waiting for connection. It's driving me nuts.

It should work, shouldn't it?

It won't.

Though there is an error in there somewhere - as I can actually get a PS3 and PS2 to link up - ultimately the two will lose track of each other at some point very soon and you'll end up with incorrect vehicle positions.

Don't worry about digging it up, MarcoM. As the saying goes: "It's always better to post in an existing thread than to create a new one." Good move there, friend.

So Famine, you say that it can be done but with laggy gameplay ultimately?

Boohooooeee :( I just finished my second racepod with a G25 and was up for some serious multiplayer racing.

Does anyone know if Toca 3 for for the ps2 can be hooked up via crosslink to toca 3 on a ps3?

It's not laggy. It's hard to explain...

Essentially I did the same thing, but got it working. The idea was to run a test of tyre wear and fuel use in LAN mode, but I couldn't be bothered unpacking the other PS2s.

So I chose the cars, then sat down at the PS3 and drove the car I'd picked on the PS3. But then I noticed that as my car went past the static PS2 car, I couldn't hear any noise from the PS2 speakers - you should hear a brief Doppler-effect engine noise and a whoosh. I didn't let it bother me and completed a 10 lap run. I then parked the car somewhere out of the way.

I shifted over to the PS2 and instantly noticed that the blip representing the PS3 car was somewhere completely different to where I'd just parked. Checked the PS3 - car is where I've left it. Check the PS2 - the PS3 car is halfway round turn one nosed into a wall, not where I left it. Hmm. Started the test in the PS2 car and, bear in mind I'm 10 laps down, I get into 1st place as I pass the static PS3 car nosed into the wall after one corner...

It seems that, for some reason, the way the PS3 communicates data from GT4 over LAN is different to how the PS2 does - I imagine it's due to the fact that the PS3 emulates the PS2 when it plays PS2 games, and not always consistently. Because of this, I'm not sure if it would have been any more successful had I connected two PS3s.

I know this is an sooo outdated question... but I just have my second PS2 & still have problems. I have done every steps to configure the LAN in GT4. But everytime I choose "Multi-LAN Race", the screen enters the 'waiting mode' with that circling clock and nothing happened.

Fyi, I've managed to set LAN successfully for other games (have saved the LAN settings in the memory card), but it doesn't work in Gran Turismo 4.

Any suggestion? Thanks in advance...

I answered in the other thread you've posted this in today. Perhaps if you kept it to just the one conversation we might be able to work through your issues?

Back