Land Speed cars & Bonneville

  • Thread starter Thread starter Rdp616
  • 37 comments
  • 3,598 views

Would you like to see this added to GT6? or 7?

  • Yes, i want to break the sound barrier.

    Votes: 98 58.3%
  • Eh, better than the moon.

    Votes: 22 13.1%
  • Salt Flats don't entertain me.

    Votes: 48 28.6%

  • Total voters
    168

Rdp616

(Banned)
Messages
903
United States
SW, PA
Messages
Suzukiboi
Me and a good friend of mine were having a discussion last night while cruising around the Nurburgring, about what PD could implement into the game in the future.

Then we got around to talking about the moon and how that was achieved, and if that can be done, as well as courses as large as SSRX, why couldn't PD make the Salt flats? Not much to detail really.

They always talk about breaking new ground, and being the first to do this etc. I personally think this would be over the top.

Could you imagine getting to drive the Thrust SSC?




Or rolling your Honda Insight at almost 200MPH?

 
Would be a good addition to the game I think 👍. I'm not sure how much longevity it would have though.
 
They could add this in the form of the Speed test. I mean if on GT4 we could do 400m testing on Test Course or the Las Vegas drag strip, in theory we should be able to max our cars at SSRX or at the Salt Flats.

Wishful Thinking right? 💡
 
Overall it seems simple. They could keep it restricted also. Just something no other racing game has done, but the physics would have to be right, it shouldn't feel like dirt or tarmac. I want the feel of the salt. Which overall would make it more challenging, just like in real life.
 
Then we got around to talking about the moon and how that was achieved, and if that can be done, as well as courses as large as SSRX, why couldn't PD make the Salt flats? Not much to detail really.

They always talk about breaking new ground, and being the first to do this etc. I personally think this would be over the top.

Could you imagine getting to drive the Thrust SSC?

I love your thinking. But how would they convey that speed? The full Blood RedBull cars feel out of place to me, so breaking the sound barrier would be more than the game engine could cope with? It needs to be consecutive with the other vehicles, and the same physics and calculations effecting the Honda Fit also applying to super sonic cars? I do not want any GT game to have that much in reserve. I want 260mph to be the most that Polyphony can recreate, really pushing whatever platform they are on.

Nice thinking though, if it could be done then great. That is the kind of thinking and ideas we need.
 
Last edited:
I do not think it would be worth the effort. Not very exciting to just go fast in a straight line on a flat surface. Would be cool as a novelty item but that is about it. We already have a track with a straight long enough to hit the top speed on any car so no need for it.
 
Land speed cars would be a great addition! The would need to add the Salt Flats, but that is a good thing because we could have the Salt Flat drag races that they do in real life, it would awesome.
 
Inb4 people saying:

PD shuld fix da A.I. and teh sounds B4 focusng on dis gimmick.

*Sarcasm tag ;)

On a serious note, any sort of weird never before seen in a racing game thing is something Kaz and co. love to put in the game, this might not be really far fetched IMO.
 
i'd also love if they could actually put the proper pikes peak hill climb into the game, they have all the damn cars from it!
 
Land Speed cars would be cool. However, lets include land speed areas (like the New Mexico desert) and drag tracks. You're probably talking some serious licensing issues.
 
Why would I vote Yes, i want to break the sound barrier. when I have done it already and then some.
 
Going fast in a straitline?
No thank you.
 
Why would this be a useful addition to the game? SSRX is more than enough to test our top speed in the game, normal people only use Bonneville in real life because there's not an easily accessible road that's long and safe enough, and the only reason we'd need this is for something which makes the lunar missions seem useful. Driving a land speed record car isn't about finesse you know, apart from with slowing down... Ooh, that could be the challenge, stopping! :sly:
 
We already have the SSRX vacuum edition.
As for the cars; they don't go around corners, meh...
 
Why would this be a useful addition to the game? SSRX is more than enough to test our top speed in the game, normal people only use Bonneville in real life because there's not an easily accessible road that's long and safe enough, and the only reason we'd need this is for something which makes the lunar missions seem useful. Driving a land speed record car isn't about finesse you know, apart from with slowing down... Ooh, that could be the challenge, stopping! :sly:

Does GT6 have parachute physics?

Knowing how PD coded the current physics engine it would work the way it should.

I also done what Einstein said is impossible in GT3.
 
I love your thinking. But how would they convey that speed? The full Blood RedBull cars feel out of place to me, so breaking the sound barrier would be more than the game engine could cope with? It needs to be consecutive with the other vehicles, and the same physics and calculations effecting the Honda Fit also applying to super sonic cars? I do not want any GT game to have that much in reserve. I want 260mph to be the most that Polyphony can recreate, really pushing whatever platform they are on.

Nice thinking though, if it could be done then great. That is the kind of thinking and ideas we need.


You make a very good point, and i've said the same thing. PD has trouble giving a "Sense of speed" And the redbull cars do feel out of place, especially considering we know they wouldn't drive and handle like that.

Why would I vote Yes, i want to break the sound barrier. when I have done it already and then some.

True, theoretically i've done it in GT5 with the garage editor. But that doesn't really feel like an accomplishment. They would have to work on the actual sense of speed like i said, much more motion blur etc. And the physics to replicate the feeling of driving on salt.
 
As far as tracks comprising of large and open areas with loose surfaces are concerned, I'd rather have THIS first:
2012-dakar-rally-toyota-truck-front-view.jpg

The Dakar rally. Of course PD couldn't map out the entire courses, but small sections or possibly randomly generated routes based on scenery from the real courses would be fine.
 
As far as tracks comprising of large and open areas with loose surfaces are concerned, I'd rather have THIS first:
2012-dakar-rally-toyota-truck-front-view.jpg

The Dakar rally. Of course PD couldn't map out the entire courses, but small sections or possibly randomly generated routes based on scenery from the real courses would be fine.
The Africa version though. The South-American one isn't as good.
 
And this couldn't have gone in the wishlist thread why ?
 
Anyone who voted for the second one is lying, there is nothing better than the moon :lol:
 
I think GT has been taking a lot of risks lately, some good (Lunar Exploration) and some bad (Redbull X2010). Whats really been interesting to me is jet cars. They're typically used for land speed records, but there is also drag racing.

It's unique because I don't think any racing game has ventured into this crazy genre of automotive sports, yet there are so many of them out there now. It is a thing, a real sport and if you've ever watched them on Youtube they're incredibly fascinating. The fire, the smoke, the staging process, the power, the roaring jet engines, and then how they take off down the track is just amazing!

Actually England holds the current land speed record, achieved by ThrustSSC which used a twin jet engine car that produces 110,000hp and a top speed of 736mph within a mile. It was the first land vehicle ever to break the sound barrier.

These jet cars really are at the limit of what we can do with technology. Another English jet car company, Bloodhound SSC, is designing a hybrid jet car that will use a V8, jet engine, and rocket to eventually achieve a 1,000mph land speed record - a record surpassing the low altitude speed record (994mph).

Gran Turismo takes risks and usually they do it in a realistic and compelling way. Tuning and driving a jet car would be insanely challenging and fun, and I can think of no better platform than Gran Turismo to deliver such an interesting experience.

What say you! Too much? Too little?
 
PD are kooky enough to add this to Gran Turismo, & I must admit that it would be interesting.
 
Last edited:
I loved the idea of having thrust SSC in a 'moon mission' type scenario.

But a santa pod esque turbine dragster would be a right laugh aswell!
 
PD can't even get right what they have in the game now, can't imagine them getting the afore mentioned cars right. PD needs to focus on what they have on their plate right now before they go venturing into something else.
 
...I don't think any racing game has ventured into this crazy genre of automotive sports...
maybe not as represented by the sport, but the Wipeout games are basically rocket powered anti-grav sleds that are pretty much where things might head in future.

Maybe if PD decide to go for another drag strip, them maybe they'll have some of these cars in mind - there would have to be a few though and it also might stop the hackers mucking about with their own creations if a rocket car will just slaughter anything they could field. Okay, it wouldn't stop them trying to do the same to the rocket cars...but you get what I'm saying.
 
Jet cars are for straightline only, no purpose in a racing game
 
Not a fan of the jet cars. PD needs to work on getting the real cars right before they worry about other projects.
 
Back