Lands End to John O'Groats Charity Bike ride August 2010

  • Thread starter Thread starter nige
  • 83 comments
  • 8,867 views
Good stuff mate, hope she's not milking it too much and getting you to do all the house work :sly:

BTW :bowdown: 100+ mile night ride!
 
I use off road tyres even though I do a lot of road miles but those tyres sound indestructible! I don't get many punctures (touch wood) but usually take 2 spare tubes out as I hate fixing punctures on the side of the road.

EDIT: Guess who just got a puncture? I shouldn't have tempted fate but at least it happened at the end of the ride a minute from my house!

If you do a lot of riding ie touring, the Schwalbe Marathons are worth getting. One word of warning though, getting them to fit properly the first time they are fitted is an absolute nightmare. It's easy to fit one side inside the rim but getting the other side to fit properly takes an absolute age and a lot of swearing!
I'm using 700 X 25C but other sizes may be different.
BTW on my ride I intend to take about 10 spare inner tubes just in case!
nige
 
Last edited:
Went on a 28 mile ride yesterday on my 8 year old Mountain Bike, my trusty old steed, a Gary Fisher Sugar 4 +. Went to Portishead which is on the Bristol Channel coast.
I love my GF as it has served me well over the years. It has seen service in all sorts of places in the UK - Glentress, Kirroughtree, Fort William, The Lake District to name but a few. Mountain biking is actully my first love ( in biking terms!).
The bike has been upgraded over the years- the best thing I did was change from V brakes to Avid Juicy 3 discs.
The route yesterday was not too demanding - a mix of easy going trails and minor roads - very pleasant. My wifes knee was fine although using a mountain bike for her was harder going than a road bike!
Going on a longer road ride today more of which later.
nige
 
Back to the road bikes today. Went on an excellent training route which took in an area south of Bristol. Some parts were extremely hilly but with good descents as well.
Total distance was 46 miles and the weather was hot! Needed a lot of water and one or two pub stops!
Need a good rest now!
nige
 
You should go from John O'Groats to Lands Ends instead, it'll be easier as it's all downhill :sly:
 
You should go from John O'Groats to Lands Ends instead, it'll be easier as it's all downhill :sly:
That's worth atleast £10 in sponsorship :)

Now how shall I reply to that!!! Ok, the sensible one - Actually JOG is lower than LE ( not geographically obviously) so I believe but don't quote me on it, and when we go the prevailing wind should be in the right direction.
There is some method to our madness :nervous:
Duffers917K - You're a GENT. Many thanks 👍👍
Yours,
nige
 
Last edited:
Here is my proposed list to take on the ride :

3 X Cycling tops
2 X Cycling Shorts
2 X Cycling Undershorts padded!
2 X Pairs of socks
Cycling Jacket
Windproof Jacket
1 X Cycling tights
1 X Cycling gloves
1 X pair of gloves ( in case of extreme cold )
Leg Warmers
1 X Baselayer ( which goes under cycling jersey in cold weather )
Seal Skinz Socks ( for those cold days )
Helmet
1 X pair of Jeans ( for evenings)
1 X teeshirt ( for evenings )
1 X fleece ( for evenings )
! X pair of Cycling shoes
1 X pair of flip flops ( for evenings )
1 X Flask for coffee ( this is a definite !!! )
Assorted tools plus pump
First Aid kit
Spare Inner tubes
Maps and map holder
Wallet
Garmin 705 plus charger
Garmin 205 plus charger
Digital Camera plus charger
Mobile phone plus charger
Assorted energy foods
2 X Water bottles
Midge Cream
I am sure i will adding to the list and will have a trial run in the garden before we depart.

nige
 
Last edited:
Got a BIG training ride today - 101 miles from Bristol to Exmouth and it's a night ride too! Never done a night ride before of this length so it should be interesting.
Should take between 8 and 10 hours and then a train ride back to Bristol tomorrow morning arriving home just in time to watch England beat Germany :sly:
nige
 
Rolled into Exmouth this morning at the end of a gruelling 103 mile ride from Bristol.
Started off from Bristol last night with about 60 other riders with clear skies and thankfully cool conditions. Doing a night ride was new to me but as it turned out great fun.
The route comprised of three big climbs - Burrington Coombe ( near Bristol ), Blagdon Hill ( near Taunton ) and one near Exmouth. Each climb was over 2 miles long with gradients of about 5%. I don't know what they are in old gradient terms ( 1 in ....) but I do know they are bloody steep. If anybody knows how to convert these please let me know. Managed to get up them in one piece though, just!
As a training run this was just what we needed. Bikes loaded with weighted panniers , contaning coffee, homemade flapjack and other assorted necessities.
Took us about 10 hours cycling with plenty of pit stops.
The best bit - Cycling down Cheddar Gorge hanging on to the brakes in the dark with just the lights illuminating the road in front - Adrenalin rush or what!
All in all a great ride and no punctures.
Here is the route we took care of Google Earth.
TheExmouthExodus26610.jpg


My bike

SAM_0771.jpg


Kate and Jerz before setting off

SAM_0772.jpg


Taking time out just before Exmouth

SAM_0777.jpg


Kate's well deserved knap at Exmouth Station

SAM_0781.jpg


Now where's that train!


SAM_0783.jpg





Lands End to John O'Groats is just over a month away now!

nige
 
Last edited:
I'm not sure how accurate the site is for elevations, and more specifically elevations outside the US, but gmaps says that starting in Bristol, the elevation is at 19 feet (presumably above sea level) and en route to Exmouth, you reach a maximum elevation of around 500 feet and finish at about 75. That said, I didn't put in your exact route (I took the easy way out and had you on the M5 :p) so YMMWV. If I had to guess, I'd say you were on B roads? If your rules and regs are like ours, you can't ride a bike on the interstate (your M's and from the looks of things A's as well) but you can on highways (your B's?)

Regardless, that looks like an awesome ride but will sure pale in comparison to the main event! :)👍

Also, how is Kate's knee doing?
 
TB
I'm not sure how accurate the site is for elevations, and more specifically elevations outside the US, but gmaps says that starting in Bristol, the elevation is at 19 feet (presumably above sea level) and en route to Exmouth, you reach a maximum elevation of around 500 feet and finish at about 75. That said, I didn't put in your exact route (I took the easy way out and had you on the M5 :p) so YMMWV. If I had to guess, I'd say you were on B roads? If your rules and regs are like ours, you can't ride a bike on the interstate (your M's and from the looks of things A's as well) but you can on highways (your B's?)

Regardless, that looks like an awesome ride but will sure pale in comparison to the main event! :)👍

Also, how is Kate's knee doing?
We rode mainly on B roads with a little bit of A's. The route was preset by the organisors and we had instructions to follow. Not too easy in the dark!
According to my Garmin 705 stats were as follows :
Elevation Gain: 5,608 ft
Elevation Loss: 5,900 ft
Calories: 5,059 C


A lot of the ride was undulating with the bulk of the elevation gain taken up by the three huge climbs, the second and third of which I don't want to do again in a hurry!

Kate's knee is fine now thanks. She got through this ride very well and has had no after effects either. Indeed she rode to work today, something which I didn't!
Regards,
nige
 
Last edited:
Start date - Thursday 5th August
Travelling down to Penzance on the the 4th. With under 2 weeks to go everything is ready, I hope!
Just need to have a trial run at putting everything in the panniers and that should be it.
The count down begins!

nige
 
A friend of mine started his ride today on a similar route! He started at John O Groats since he lives in Cornwall, though. I noticed on your recent trip that you went near Taunton too, how near the M5 were you? I used to live right near the M5 in Trull, just outside Taunton, and your route looks like it took you up near Honiton which is where a few of my friends lived! Some very steep hills there, I used to get brake fade on my car on the huge bends on those roads so god knows how hard it is on a bike!

Good luck with it all!

EDIT: I just read that you did Blagdon Hill. I have a lot of respect for you! It was bad enough in a low powered car :lol:
 
Keep us posted Nige, hope you're getting excited rather than nervous 👍
 
A friend of mine started his ride today on a similar route! He started at John O Groats since he lives in Cornwall, though. I noticed on your recent trip that you went near Taunton too, how near the M5 were you? I used to live right near the M5 in Trull, just outside Taunton, and your route looks like it took you up near Honiton which is where a few of my friends lived! Some very steep hills there, I used to get brake fade on my car on the huge bends on those roads so god knows how hard it is on a bike!

Good luck with it all!

EDIT: I just read that you did Blagdon Hill. I have a lot of respect for you! It was bad enough in a low powered car :lol:

We went very close to Taunton and the M5. The exact route followed mostly small villages and minor roads. You may know some of them -Burrington Coombe( the first climb ), Down Cheddar Gorge which was fantastic in the dark,Othery, Burrowbridge, North Curry, Stoke St Mary, Blagdon Hill!!, Broadhembury,Colestocks, Feniton, Ottery St Mary,Newton Poppleford, Otterton and Yettington to name but a few.
Blagdon Hill was probably the hardest climb I have ever done. Good training for what lies ahead!
Good luck to your friend and hope he cycle's safe.

EvilNeal - I am getting excited about the ride now but nerves will kick in nearer the time! Thanks for the good wishes and I will keep everybody informed. Pics will follow after the ride.

Chhers,
nige
 
The very best of luck to the both of you. I applaud and admire people like you.
 
The very best of luck to the both of you. I applaud and admire people like you.
Cheers thanks for that :)
nige
 
Cheers thanks for that :)
nige

As in my thread about the Caven's Arms in Dumfries you said you would be there around 14th August. As I said there, just tell them Kevin sent you!
 
Our last bit of training before we start our ride next week turned out to be a really tough challenge.
A round trip of 350 miles took us to Snowdon, the highest mountain in Wales at 3560 ft. After a walk of 7 hours we had conquered the top and returned to base camp, absolutely knackered.
The weather was great, warm and dry. The visibilty on the top though was ZERO. Mist and more mist.
My legs ache real hard today!
Some pics
View of Snowdon from base camp!
SAM_0004.jpg


Kate and Jerz enjoy a cuppa at the Halfway house
SAM_0099.jpg


We could have taken the train up!
SAM_0079.jpg


Kate and the Mist at the top
SAM_0059.jpg


Here's to next week
nige
 
Packed the panniers today to see how much weight I am carrying on the ride - fully loaded 7kg. Not too bad I suppose. Might have to ditch one or two items of clothes as the panniers are bulging to the seams.
Sponsorship going quite well although we could do with more. Anybody prepared to give a fiver or so to help a great cause. :)
http://www.action.org.uk/sponsor/nleat
nige
 
Packed the panniers today to see how much weight I am carrying on the ride - fully loaded 7kg. Not too bad I suppose. Might have to ditch one or two items of clothes as the panniers are bulging to the seams.
Sponsorship going quite well although we could do with more. Anybody prepared to give a fiver or so to help a great cause. :)
http://www.action.org.uk/sponsor/nleat
nige

That sounds very light 👍

Most people should have just been paid so there's no excuse not to donate...even I have and I'm as tight as a ducks bum!
 
That sounds very light 👍

Most people should have just been paid so there's no excuse not to donate...even I have and I'm as tight as a ducks bum!

Neal - You're a GENT. Many thanks and I agree entirely. Come on guys and girls - PLEASE. :)
nige
 
Tomorrow is "D day" with a train ride down to Penzance. Meeting friends there for a cuppa and a chin wag which will be nice. Can't wait to get started now. Everything packed and ready to go! Start the ride on Thursday!
I will post pics etc when I get back.
Hope the weather is fair :scared:
nige
 
Good luck Nige 👍 👍
 
Nice nige, which way did you do Snowdon? Pyg Track or Miner's Track, or the gnarly Crib Goch knife-edge?
It's a wonderful hike up there, and it looks almost exactly like it did last time I was up there, foggy!!!
I'd say Kate was pointing in the direction of Anglesey, which you can see on a clear day!

I once fell down in the mine opening at the top end of the Miner's Track, a very "Del Boy" moment as I was venturing in there to see how far it went, bracing myself with my feet against one side and my hands on the other wall (it's only about 5ft tall by 4ft wide tunnel!) I reached a point where I needed to turn round to avoid getting my feet wet, so I put my arms out to brace against the opposite wall, and it was almost pitch black by this point, leant forwards, and according to my mates who were standing at the mine entrance, just disappeared "Del Boy" on the Bar style, face down into the wall! (there was a side shaft that I couldn't see was there!) Fortunately apart from the surprise and getting my clothes soaked no damage was done, but it kept my mates laughing for the rest of the day!
It was always nice on a hot July / August day to take a dip in the lower lake on the way down, very bracing. :eek:

Best of luck with the ride, and keep us posted along the way. 👍
 
Nice nige, which way did you do Snowdon? Pyg Track or Miner's Track, or the gnarly Crib Goch knife-edge?
It's a wonderful hike up there, and it looks almost exactly like it did last time I was up there, foggy!!!
I'd say Kate was pointing in the direction of Anglesey, which you can see on a clear day!

I once fell down in the mine opening at the top end of the Miner's Track, a very "Del Boy" moment as I was venturing in there to see how far it went, bracing myself with my feet against one side and my hands on the other wall (it's only about 5ft tall by 4ft wide tunnel!) I reached a point where I needed to turn round to avoid getting my feet wet, so I put my arms out to brace against the opposite wall, and it was almost pitch black by this point, leant forwards, and according to my mates who were standing at the mine entrance, just disappeared "Del Boy" on the Bar style, face down into the wall! (there was a side shaft that I couldn't see was there!) Fortunately apart from the surprise and getting my clothes soaked no damage was done, but it kept my mates laughing for the rest of the day!
It was always nice on a hot July / August day to take a dip in the lower lake on the way down, very bracing. :eek:

Best of luck with the ride, and keep us posted along the way. 👍



Nice one I like it!
The route we took was I think the Miners One. The one that starts in Llanberis near the start of the mountain railway.
The route was tough, particularly tough on those thighs coming down.
One day I do want to take my mountain bike up because as a downhill it looks absolutely great. Just have to drag it up first :ouch:
Thanks for the good wishes. Early night ahead.

nige
 
Ride has begun.Started on Thursday and have now reached Bristol. Distance so far 205 miles.
Stages done so far :
Lands End to Bodmin
Bodmin to Exeter
Exeter to Bridgwater
Bridgwater to Bristol.
The hills of Cornwall and Devon are killers but both of us have survived and ready to go again.
I will post a much more detailed report with loads of pics when we get back.
nige
 
Well done mate, looks like the weather should be ok the next few days but beware of flying ants...there's millions of the horrible little things round here.
 
Let me know what you a thought of my local pub, the Cavens Arms.
 
Back