Language change affects all PSN accounts

• Thread starter KAlex122
  • 9 comments
Austria
Austria
Niki_Kingrat
Hi,

I created a new PSN account to play GT7 in english. Worked. But for some time now all my accounts deliver the same language. If i change language in one account, the other one changes as well. This is super stupid! Accounts are there to enable individual user-experiences.

Any tips? Thanks!

Hi,

I created a new PSN account to play GT7 in english. Worked. But for some time now all my accounts deliver the same language. If i change language in one account, the other one changes as well. This is super stupid! Accounts are there to enable individual user-experiences.

Any tips? Thanks!
You cannot change the language from the PSN account, only on system level. That's why there's also no reason to create a new account. Just go into your console's settings.

Oh, that's bad. I thought it worked in the beginning. There is no way playing one game in English and one in German without switching around all the time? German in GT7 sucks because of KW instead of horsepower.

Oh, that's bad. I thought it worked in the beginning. There is no way playing one game in English and one in German without switching around all the time? German in GT7 sucks because of KW instead of horsepower.
Only when the game offers it.

I'm not sure why games still do this when (apparently) only Australia (and NZ?) really popularized the use of kW for engine power.

(Amusingly, I am guilty of the same thing, when I was practicing UI.)

I'm not sure why games still do this when (apparently) only Australia (and NZ?) really popularized the use of kW for engine power.
It's been the mandatory unit in the European Union since 1972.

It's been the mandatory unit in the European Union since 1972.
That's what a search about it said -- and that regular people in Europe still broadly prefer HP or PS, but kW is more commonly accepted in the southern hemisphere.

That's what a search about it said -- and that regular people in Europe still broadly prefer HP or PS, but kW is more commonly accepted in the southern hemisphere.
As Europeans use metric measurements, it's only PS (and its various regional translations - Ch, cv, Pk, and so on). The hp unit is only used in the UK and is a different value entirely. However PS isn't a true metric unit, it's an Imperial one (hp) converted to metric units; W is the only true metric unit of power.

All European brands, including in the UK, market in PS because it gives the biggest number - they also market torque in Nm (even though Nm twins with kW; PS twins with kgfm, hp with lbfft) for the same reason - but it is supplementary only. The mandatory unit is kW.

@Famine -- I have a specific personal interest in knowing what people prefer, rather than what is mandatory. :) That all lines up with my understanding of things -- though I'd argue brands probably market in PS/etc. at least as much because it's what people know as because it's a bigger number. Which is cyclically reinforced by the marketing.

Pairing Nm with it as opposed to kgfm is something I've noticed for a long time too. Unit preferences are a funny thing. It's hard not to notice it goes all over the place when you've played games developed from all over the world.

In the end, in Gran Turismo or any other sim, it's all just multiplication from a chosen base unit. Addressing the original topic, it's not that hard to offer more choices.

I'd argue brands probably market in PS/etc. at least as much because it's what people know as because it's a bigger number.
The UK has never used "metric" power units, so there's zero local familiarity with it, but we get cars marketed in PS too - and it's right in the names, most often, from the McLaren 720S to the Focus ST170.

It's pure "biggest number" marketing: 720PS > 710hp > 530kW, so 720 is used. And the fact the German/French/Italian words translate to "horsepower" allowing for consumer confusion with actual horsepower - car manufacturers even put out UK-market press releases stating engine "horsepower" (no units given) only for the kW figure required to reveal they're talking metric, not imperial.

Some people (even those working in the industry on magazines) even think the bigger "horsepower" number is the engine and the smaller horsepower number is the wheels - which is a mighty efficient powertrain that only has 1.4% losses...

On the flip side, I have absolutely no idea why Japan uses non-metric metric horsepower (if anyone was going to use proper scientific units...), or why Australia/New Zealand use actual metric power when they're basically British.

Of course the UK is an absolutely lawless land of measurements. We have imperial horsepower (and torque), but metric weight (for cars; for food and baking it's more commonly imperial although, we have to display metric at point of sale). We drive in miles, and at miles per hour, but we buy fuel in litres to go into our gallon-sized (Imperial, not US) tank where we measure fuel economy in miles per gallon... It's a localisation nightmare.

Back