Le Mans - How to fully appreciate it.

  • Thread starter Thread starter Hawker77
  • 41 comments
  • 5,846 views
Messages
177
Messages
Hawker77
Messages
Hawker77
See what it's all about, past and present by watching the following...

Le Mans 1969 - GREAT documentary about that years race. Part 1 of 4.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=861mRRktGZA

Le Mans (1971) Film Starring Steve McQueen (Part 1 of 12) Lots of great footage of my fav racing car - the Porsche 917K.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=25Hg7oYMtpQ

Le Mans - 100 Years of Passion. Part 1 of 4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=boLCAdPjs2k

The other parts should be on the right side next to the video.

I watched all of these as my B-Spec Bob drove the 24 Hours of Le Mans during the past day. :)

Enjoy.
 
Brilliant, thanks for posting. I already love Le Mans.

I love the McQueen movie too, purely for the racing. It's unbelievable that a film like that was actually made, wouldn't happen now. Hopefully it gets reissued in HD.
 
My Bobs are quite good now at the high levels they are at. I've driven the track so much it's nice to kick back and watch these great old films while Bob cranks up my XP for me.

So you appreciate it while having a retard drive for you.
 
Last edited:
I still think Grand Prix (1966) is my favorite racing movie. It was made with the best F1 drivers of the day and after they raced with James Garner they said he was good enough to be a real F1 driver.
 
Yeah, I already loved it too. I decided to hunt for old footage of it and came across those links. I'd really love to find one for 1970, but it looks like the Steve McQueen film took over that year.

Brilliant, thanks for posting. I already love Le Mans.

I love the McQueen movie too, purely for the racing. It's unbelievable that a film like that was actually made, wouldn't happen now. Hopefully it gets reissued in HD.

I'll look for that. Thanks.

Oh, so you like F1? This link is F1 documentary heaven!
http://www.xtremeracers.info/forums/viewtopic.php?f=64&t=6479



I still think Grand Prix (1966) is my favorite racing movie. It was made with the best F1 drivers of the day and after they raced with James Garner they said he was good enough to be a real F1 driver.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
My Bobs are quite good now at the high levels they are at. I've driven the track so much it's nice to kick back and watch these great old films while Bob cranks up my XP for me. Is he a retard? Not at all.

Mine are too (lvl 37) Yes they are retarded. Good videos though!
 
Now if you are talking about them slamming into the rear of almost every car before they pass, then yes, that would qualify. Doesn't always happen though.

Mine are too (lvl 37) Yes they are retarded. Good videos though!
 
Now if you are talking about them slamming into the rear of every car before they pass, then yes, that would qualify. Doesn't always happen though.

That and over conservative driving. Like when I provide them an overpowered car and they speed up to 100+ over the other AI then politely brake behind them when entering the corner.
 
Very true. That really should be fixed in a patch.

That and over conservative driving. Like when I provide them an overpowered car and they speed up to 100+ over the other AI then politely brake behind them when entering the corner.
 
You should try the A-spec 24 hr endurance version if your up to it.
 
I have too much happening right now to devote an entire 24 hours. Plus I don't think my butt could take it.

You should try the A-spec 24 hr endurance version if your up to it.
 
I still think Grand Prix (1966) is my favorite racing movie. It was made with the best F1 drivers of the day and after they raced with James Garner they said he was good enough to be a real F1 driver.

The cool thing (to me) about Grand Prix, LeMans, and Winning (Paul Newman) is that all three movies were made because they loved racing - and they were all fairly accomplished drivers!
 
Very true! It does make it that much better.

Hey, I grew up in Columbus. 👍

The cool thing (to me) about Grand Prix, LeMans, and Winning (Paul Newman) is that all three movies were made because they loved racing - and they were all fairly accomplished drivers!
 
You can also watch "truth in 24" on iTunes for free. A documentary about audi team in 2008. Awesome documentary
 
Completly agree with you about the 917.
Porsche would probably still be using that car if they had never banned it.
I would choose road racing over f1 any day.
Just wish that they had put Porsches in GT5 ):
 
Cool, thanks for the tip about "Truth in 24." I will watch that later this week.

Yeah, I'm hoping that PD will work out a deal with Porsche eventually. I bet they have many of the cars already finished including several 917s. Here's to hoping!
 
I'm bookmarking this one! Great post.
 
Great videos. Le Mans has always held a special place in my heart...I've loved racing there thanks to GT4 and GT5. Finally, after years of putting it off, I'll be there this summer. Putting the final touches on my trip this week and next. These videos only make the next 6 month wait that much harder.
 
Le Mans is definitely on my "bucket list." Someday I will get there. :)

Found a couple more for fellow racing nuts...

"Fifty Years of Formula 1 On Board"

"Can Am - The Speed Odyssey"

They are DVD's Amazon.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Join the Le Mans! club. Link in my sig. Races every Sat.!
 
See what it's all about, past and present by watching the following...

Le Mans 1969 - GREAT documentary about that years race. Part 1 of 4.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=861mRRktGZA

Le Mans (1971) Film Starring Steve McQueen (Part 1 of 12) Lots of great footage of my fav racing car - the Porsche 917K.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=25Hg7oYMtpQ

Le Mans - 100 Years of Passion. Part 1 of 4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=boLCAdPjs2k

The other parts should be on the right side next to the video.

I watched all of these as my B-Spec Bob drove the 24 Hours of Le Mans during the past day. :)

Enjoy.

Nice thread. 👍
I would just like to correct something. The film starring Mac Queen, shows the 1970 edition of Le Mans 24h, not 1971 as mentioned in the link. The first Porsche victory was that year 1970, after some bad luck with the 917 LH which dominated the 1969 race until 11am.
For those interested, check out the first lap of the 1970 race, the way Vic Elford, on the N°25 Porsche 917 LH, takes the mulsanne corner at the end of the Hunaudieres straight, making the rear end of the car sliding. Just insane, for the first lap of a 24h race !!

Best regards,

Snypa
 
You can also watch "truth in 24" on iTunes for free. A documentary about audi team in 2008. Awesome documentary



Definitely one of the best documentaries I've ever seen.
 
Last edited:
Thanks Snypa. Btw, the link mentions the year
the film was released, not the year of the race.

Spell his name right, will ya? ;-)

http://stevemcqueen.com/
 
Thanks Snypa. Btw, the link mentions the year
the film was released, not the year of the race.

Spell his name right, will ya? ;-)

http://stevemcqueen.com/

ok, so everything's fine.
I saw my spelling mistake, I should have taken the time to correct it, sorry.

Let' go back in the past with this link - 1967 "race of the century". (video quality is poor).
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DIWujd79pi0&feature=related

The Ford mark IV broke the 5000 km barrier this year. It's one of my favourite car.....and I'm reaching the 20millions bar for it soon. I miss the chapparal 2F in the game though.....

Best regards,

Snypa
 
No worries.

I love the Ford Mk IV as well. Love the way it looks and sounds. It reminds me of the 917, which for me, will make GT5 pure bliss if it ever ends up in the game.

I'll check out your '67 link. Thanks for posting it!

Cheers.
 
Also look into Speed Merchant, its basically a documentary of the 1972 World Sports Car season, followed a few drivers like Ickx, Andretti, Elford...etc. And covered cars like the Ferrari 312PB, Alfa Tipo 33...etc

Its available on DVD.

I also with Le Mans will come out in HD someday...the wailing of the 917/908 down the mulsanne will be amazing to hear in 5.1..
 
I love the Ford Mk IV as well. Love the way it looks and sounds. It reminds me of the 917, which for me, will make GT5 pure bliss if it ever ends up in the game.

Well I agree 100% with you on the Porsche 917. Even if the Mark IV has a special place in my heart, as the Ferrari P4, I have to say that if one car should represent the spirit of Le Mans 24h, it has to be the 917.
I've always admired those drivers who were able to drive such a beast, especially the long tail version, to the limits.
So yeah, PD, bring us some Porsches now, and the 917 first ! (and the 956 for the eighties :)).

Best regards,

Snypa
 
Back