Le Mans - How to fully appreciate it.

  • Thread starter Thread starter Hawker77
  • 41 comments
  • 5,846 views
What has this got to do with gran turismo?
 
Part of GT was about the lore, thats why they included classic Le Mans car, the track and the event. There might be people who don't know why they bother to do a 24 hours race on "Circuit de la Sarthe".....
 
Thanks RacingManiac. Yes akmuq, it's to give those much younger than I, a history lesson of sorts of this amazing track.
 
Thanks RacingManiac. Yes akmuq, it's to give those much younger than I, a history lesson of sorts of this amazing track.

Here's my contribution to your history lesson ;), a clip from the 2008 Classic Le Mans event with classic race cars which did take part in the 24 hours at some point, some from the very early years (note to PD, include more pre-war 20's and 30's cars please, they just beg to be experienced in a videogame) and at the end you'll see a P4 (like the one included in GT5).
Still a lot of cars from several eras which are missing though.



Edit, seems to be made by a Porsche fan I guess...........
 
Last edited:
Analog, nice video! Thanks for putting it up.

Here's a nice one where a friend of Jerry Seinfeld talks about driving Porsche 917 #20, which Jerry bought (near the end of this video). I think I would feel the same way!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rjpZEfhC7XM
 
Just checked out that 4 part series at the end of the first post. That was very cool, thanks. 👍

One thing I want to know, in the game there are 4 Le Mans tracks (if I remember correctly): 2005, 2005 no chicanes, 2009, and 2009 no chicanes.
The long straight versus chicanes difference is obvious.
But what is the difference between the 2005 versions and the 2009 versions?
 
See what it's all about, past and present by watching the following...

Le Mans 1969 - GREAT documentary about that years race. Part 1 of 4.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=861mRRktGZA

Le Mans (1971) Film Starring Steve McQueen (Part 1 of 12) Lots of great footage of my fav racing car - the Porsche 917K.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=25Hg7oYMtpQ

Le Mans - 100 Years of Passion. Part 1 of 4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=boLCAdPjs2k

The other parts should be on the right side next to the video.

I watched all of these as my B-Spec Bob drove the 24 Hours of Le Mans during the past day. :)

Enjoy.

Interesting stuff. I was just watching the first vid and they said they reach speeds of close to 240mph in the mulsanne straight. That was back in 1969 crazy!
 
I thought the same thing. Pretty amazing. 👍

Interesting stuff. I was just watching the first vid and they said they reach speeds of close to 240mph in the mulsanne straight. That was back in 1969 crazy!
 
The 917LH was able to put on very impressive top speeds......at the cost of some stability. Several Porsche drivers were not so confortable with the car, and that leaded to think of an alternative, which brought the 917K, which was a best allround runner.
Anyway, Stommelen did the pole in 1969 at the average speed of 239 km/h on the 917 LH !! The year after, Elford managed 242 km/h.

Here is a link to a site I like very much. Unfortunately for native English speakers, it's in french, but there are some good descriptions of the races, year by year, and there are also some nice statistics, photos and videos.

the 1969 race :
http://www.les24heures.fr/index.php/content/view/90/183/

Best regards,

Snypa
 


Definitely one of the best documentaries I've ever seen.


I just got done watching this from itunes for free and its completely amazing, how have i not heard of this. If you have not seen it, watch it now, its so very very good. I wonder if theres a blu ray version for purchase?
 
Just checked out that 4 part series at the end of the first post. That was very cool, thanks. 👍

One thing I want to know, in the game there are 4 Le Mans tracks (if I remember correctly): 2005, 2005 no chicanes, 2009, and 2009 no chicanes.
The long straight versus chicanes difference is obvious.
But what is the difference between the 2005 versions and the 2009 versions?
the 2005 version is a GT4 port with no rain or night racing, the 2009 version is fresh for GT5 and has dynamic weather and a dynamic day/night cycle. quite honestly, I don't know why the 05 version was ported into GT5. the kerbs are a bit different and so is some of the scenery, but it's not different enough to warrant both being in the game (in my opinion)
 
What has this got to do with gran turismo?

Indeed. There are other boards available here at GTP, to cover things that only tangentially connect to GT. Like this thread.

Moving this to the Cars in General board; while Le Mans is obviously Motorsports-related, since the roads are open to the public for much of the year and this a general-appreciation thread, it makes more sense there.
 
Back