Le Mans Hypercars Confirmed: FIA and ACO Agree New Rules for 2020

IMG_6142.JPG
THX 1138 comes to mind

After listening to several podcasts with a lot of discussions about this, I'm wondering if we'll get good looking cars or not. I sure hope so. I know drag/lift is controlled, but I hope they do try to make them attractive or identifiable.

What have you listened to? The only sports car podcast I can stand is Marshall Pruett with Graham Goodwin. Their format and personalities are really good.

I mainly listen to Radio LeMans, etc. I dabble in a few others but not consistently. I'm a big Marshall Pruett fan but always forget to download his.

After listening to several podcasts with a lot of discussions about this, I'm wondering if we'll get good looking cars or not. I sure hope so. I know drag/lift is controlled, but I hope they do try to make them attractive or identifiable.

I suspect that they will carry visual idents that tie them to the brand, like how Porsche designed the livery around the doors of the 919 to mimic the profile of the 911.

gallery-1490965973-screen-shot-2017-03-31-at-91900-am-1.png

As for the cars themselves... I guess that'll be up for debate once we see them.

Yeah, I think my expectation has gone from GT1 era to more of a DPI. I know the performance is expected to drop a good bit, but I think we'll see more prototype and less street car in the final shape, sadly. Just the feeling I get from listening to people talk about the regulations. I would LOVE to be wrong...would be so happy to see some cooler, more diverse cars (rather than prototypes with a nosejob - ala DPI).

I think we'll all desire for something like this to show up...but I doubt it :D

Porsche-908.jpg

My assumption is that the halo models from various manufacturers will now debut at Le Mans. Can we expect to see race spec versions of the following?

Aston Martin Valkyrie
AMG Mercedes Project One
McLaren Senna
Toyota’s recent Gazoo concept?
An XX’d La Ferrari?
Porsche 918 even?

Even half of that field makes for a fascinating pack of racers. Excited for 2020 either way, a true return to genuine sports car racing! I’ve always loved how the McLaren F1 GTR could literally drive to Le Mans from Woking, race, and then return home.

Say what you will, but let’s be honest the latest breed of LMP1s were hardly the prettiest. 919 vs a 911 GT1? No contest!
Will never happen. Ferrari are focused on Formula 1 and the XX Programme is really just an expensive, client-funded development program that helps pay (& develop a bit) for F1.

Not sure where you ever saw a F1 GTR drove from Woking to the track and back home after LeMans considering McLaren/Lanzante only started modifying them to be street-legal long after F1 production ended.

I had heard that Ferrari was more interested in producing a customer car for the series - as opposed to backing a proper factory program. Of course this is all just rumours and scuttlebutt at this point.

Still seems wishy-washy to me. Last I saw, they pulled out with Ford, then went right back into negotiations. The XX Evo would be interesting, but I'm curious what modifications would be needed. Most of the owners' stories claim that the car has so many advanced aids that will absolutely let you push the car, and it would take proper nerves to handle unaided.
I had heard that Ferrari was more interested in producing a customer car for the series - as opposed to backing a proper factory program. Of course this is all just rumours and scuttlebutt at this point.
It would fit in line with how they've handled anything not-Formula 1 though, so it's not unlikely.

This makes much more sense from a Ferrari sales point, like the 333sp and the 550 GTS/GT1. Even their current stuff is technically not factory, so I think them cornering a market that caters to their directive of building super/hyper cars works perfect. Probably could go the same route as Aston does.

Will never happen. Ferrari are focused on Formula 1 and the XX Programme is really just an expensive, client-funded development program that helps pay (& develop a bit) for F1.

Not sure where you ever saw a F1 GTR drove from Woking to the track and back home after LeMans considering McLaren/Lanzante only started modifying them to be street-legal long after F1 production ended.
Something the F1 could do in theory, though I doubt it would ever happen. The fact that it could is the point.

Something the F1 could do in theory, though I doubt it would ever happen. The fact that it could is the point.
But, it couldn’t. It wouldn’t be eligible for LeMans after the modifications were done to be street legal.

I am fairly intrigued to see what vehicles and such result from this new class of competition. Sportscar racing never ceases to amaze me or fascinate me. These newer machines and this new class surely will add to the mystique of this discipline of motorsport.

Correct me if I'm wrong but the ACO aren't doing away with the LMP2 class? I really hope not, It's just the LMP1 and more benevolently the LMPH class If i'm not mistaken.

I adore the DPi's of IMSA and what they have done for the series. If DPi is anything but a taste of modern chemistry of road car DNA melded together with prototype, we should hopefully see some excellent and attractive designs with a hyper car class. Dare I say childhood fantasies coming to life. 👍

Correct me if I'm wrong but the ACO aren't doing away with the LMP2 class? I really hope not, It's just the LMP1 and more benevolently the LMPH class If i'm not mistaken.

I adore the DPi's of IMSA and what they have done for the series. If DPi is anything but a taste of modern chemistry of road car DNA melded together with prototype, we should hopefully see some excellent and attractive designs with a hyper car class. Dare I say childhood fantasies coming to life. 👍

LMP2 isn't going anywhere nor is GTE so far. LMP1 is changing is all.

This seems like it's going to be one complicated class but I'm still in for it and curious how it will shape out.

I think, if anything, that confirms that the actual Hypercars were going to be far less road-car derived than originally hinted at. I had hopes we'd see a road-car styled top class...but it would have probably ended up being another prototype class with a couple of aesthetic touches to resemble the road car models.

The complication of course is that a road-car based class will have to do some bizarre things to beat an LMP2 car at LeMans and remain the premier class. I wonder what the trickle down effect will be on the new LMP2/GTE regs.

Sad to say all of the podcasts lately have been rather doom-n-gloom. Times running out for 2020 very quickly, particularly with no solid regs and manufacturers still having their say in changing them, etc. As that window closes I suspect we may not see more than one or two manufacturers even try for the 2020 deadlines.

Back