Le Mans - What car?

• Thread starter Pudlian
  • 55 comments
United Kingdom
UK
Pudlian
Pudlian
Hi

I am about to start the LeMans endurance tonight and cannot decide which car to use. Am torn between the two 908's, the Toyota GT-One and the Jaguar.

I have the Audi's/Judd's/Mazda etc... but not sure, any opinions would be greatfully received. Don't want to commit to a 24hr race and just run away and finish 10 or so laps clear!!

Well, I did it in the Mazda 787B and was particularly perfect for the race. But any car compatible with the opponent's is effective as well.

I would say any LM prototype (Pesca, GT-ONE, Audi, Pug)(maybe if you wanna a bit of a challange take the R10 Audi) or Group C racer should doo the trick. It realy depends on the wather conditions during the race how it develops. for my race It rained for 16 hours straight form hour 8 till the finish, and when it started to rain I was in 5th but in the end I won 10 Laps ahead or so.

Give all the cars you have a bit of a shake down... Make sure you have a car you can live with for 24 hours... This means the General handling needs to be "Comforting" rather than High Maintenance twitcheroo of a car.
Engine note - make sure you like it.

Don't rush into a 24 race.

Best of fortune

Well, I did it in the Mazda 787B and was particularly perfect for the race. But any car compatible with the opponent's is effective as well.

What was your pit strategy? Since I tried it yesterday with the 787B and after the first hour I quit, my tyres were completely done for after 5 laps (RH), 4 laps (RM) and 3.5 laps (RS)... I'm particularly interested in how people did it with the 787B.:) It seems the Audi R8 could do much more laps than I could...

A judd would be good but not the baby one ie. its green. You could use a sauber c9 or a nissan cp92 or a nissan r390 lm (fully tuned)

Well I have had to restart as I was no good with the Jag and the tyre wear, guess I was driving it to hard as pitting every 4 or 5 laps meant that when it stopped raining the AI were past me and gone in no time at all.

Restarted with the 908 (Playstation one) and have raced for 5 and a half hours, now very dark and dry. My lead is 1 lap and another 40 seconds or so, around lap 88 at the minute and really loving the driving in the dark, especially when you come round the corner and see the pit lane, ferris wheel and spectator stands all lit up!

I am going to use the X1 in B-Spec but wanted a bit of a challenge for A-Spec. I have found myself coming out of the pits about 10 seconds behind the car behind so that it no longer a full lap down. Chasing that car to get them back to being lapped is good fun, especially in the dark!

Must admit that once I have done the two 24 hr races I will just stuck with the Ring 4hr race as I prefer that to 24hr's

I'm currently 10 hours in this race and I'm using the Peugeot 908 Team Peugeot Total, by now I'm first with 5 laps over the Audi R8. Race started on wet, but in 6 laps it became dry and stayed dry until now. If you're going to choise this car, make sure to have a button to change headlights mode, because this car has very dark high headlights, while the normal headlights are more brighter and allow you to effectively see the road.

EDIT : I've just noticed that you have restarted the race with the Peugeot, good choice! :)

What was your pit strategy? Since I tried it yesterday with the 787B and after the first hour I quit, my tyres were completely done for after 5 laps (RH), 4 laps (RM) and 3.5 laps (RS)... I'm particularly interested in how people did it with the 787B. It seems the Audi R8 could do much more laps than I could...

I'm doing a pit stop every 4 laps on racing soft (Out Lap - Fast Lap - Fast Lap - Pit lane at the end of the 4°), and I think this is the best strategy because it allows me to have a lap time pattern like that :
4:00 - 4:03 (Out lap -It depends on how much fuel you decide to put into the car, I usually refuel for only 32 liters every pit stop)
3:22 - 3:24
3:24 - 3:26
3:31 - 3:33 (Pit lane)

Plus this give me more stability and less stress over the race, and it's generally better than RM-RM or RM-RH in terms of times, because with a RM-RH setting I was doing 3:29 - 3:36 only for 4 laps, and Lap 5 I had to be extremely careful to not spin the car due to the worn out tires. So, the extra lap they give to you it's not worth the time you lose through the laps compared to RS-RS.

Last edited:
I have a question... Do you guys use the traction control?

I've tried the 787B, Toyota GT1, Peugeot 908 and all of them spin madly in 2nd out of slower corners...

Maybe I need to tune them to try to get rid of this? I dunno...

Any advice guys?

Just baby the throttle of the corner until you get into 3rd gear. Just be smooth and easy. I always drive w/o tc and also w/o abs. Being easy on both helps a lot.

Im also struggling with traction. At first i was trying to short shift but that (i eventually found out!!) was making it slower. As lambo said you really have to baby the throttle... Im currently at 7hr 45mins and its been 100% wet from the start giving me plenty of time to master a light throttle!!! Racing inters are lasting 9 / 10 laps with lap times around 3.50 / 4.00... Keep at it guys!!

Im also struggling with traction. At first i was trying to short shift but that (i eventually found out!!) was making it slower. As lambo said you really have to baby the throttle... Im currently at 7hr 45mins and its been 100% wet from the start giving me plenty of time to master a light throttle!!! Racing inters are lasting 9 / 10 laps with lap times around 3.50 / 4.00... Keep at it guys!!

Those Inters are some sound advice! :)

I'm currently running the 24hrs du Mans as well, using my R10 TDI. I'm currently 2,5 hours in, running in 2nd around one minute behind the race leader. Just like for you it was 100% wet from the start, with light rain (though blue sky over most of the track :odd:) that never seems to end or get worse.

As it was 100% wet, I started on full wets. Not much traction though and after 6 laps I already had to change them because I was all over the place. Did two stints like that and finding myself in 3rd position around 1'51" from the leader.

Then I saw this post about Inters working better. As I figured that it couldn't go worse I went for it, and it went better indeed. My lap times got better and the tires lasted an entire fuel tank of 14 laps!

This is going to save my race :)

What was your pit strategy? Since I tried it yesterday with the 787B and after the first hour I quit, my tyres were completely done for after 5 laps (RH), 4 laps (RM) and 3.5 laps (RS)... I'm particularly interested in how people did it with the 787B.

I am currently doing (14 hours in) the Le Mans 24h in a Mazda 787B (not tuned). Under dry conditions I used front: R(S) rear:R(M) tyres. This combination is good for 4 laps. Under dry conditions the race is adequately challenging. You have to be very careful with the throttle to preserve the tyres or use traction control (which makes it a lot easier).
It has been raining for a few hours now in my race. The intermediates last way longer than the fuel (never use full wets. The inters are better even at 100% humidity). So you have to pit after 10 or so laps to refuel. It is not very difficult to build a lead in the rain. So if you're struggling to get in front, pray for rain!

Just a question, how long have you practiced? I practiced with my R10 for a whole month... I know that this is only a game, but for those who see it as a simulator, practice makes perfect. You can choose a fast car to win easily, or you can make a challenge. Find a car that is on the usual cars that competes, find a good time with the HP that is listed on that car, then find a car that you like, then find that same time.

Make a challenge out of yourself... It is the most famous race in the world!!

*this is a-spec correct?*

As you can see by my photo, I'm pretty dedicated to this track... I am hoping to go to this years race.... AHHHHHAHHAHHAHHAHH.... 15 MORE DAYS!!!!

Last edited:
OK, well, I am now 15 hours in and I've learnt how to handle the beastly 787B... I can get 5 good laps out of my RMs... Generally running 3:25 to 3:27 laps... I do my out lap, three hot laps and an in lap... The trick is to be gentle with the throttle; too much power coming out of a bend and you light up the rear wheels. I feather the throttle till I am pointing straight and then I floor it... Really enjoying this car now...

Still wish they'd fix the tires so I could do proper 1.5 hour stints like they do in the real Le Mans... 15 minute stints is simply moronic!

ANTthePANT79
Still wish they'd fix the tires so I could do proper 1.5 hour stints like they do in the real Le Mans... 15 minute stints is simply moronic!

You have no idea how mad I am...... Should be able to do two stints AT LEAST!!

You have no idea how mad I am...... Should be able to do two stints AT LEAST!!

Yup, it's just not very "real" as they claim in "real driving simulator" I mean, RS tires are 10% worn out before they are even light blue... Stupid...

I used the Red Bull at only 60 percent power so you don't need to keep pitting for fuel.

I think the OP and everyone else in the thread are looking for LMP style cars, it's shear boredom in the Redbull cars...

Just wanted to revive the thread, because my next endurance race will be at the Sarthe :)
Which car is good for a close race and handles decent in rain? Also which strategy should I run?

Latest Posts

Back