Le Tour De France 2012

• Thread starter Twissy
  • 95 comments
I don't understand it. The minute I read he was found positive I said "Nonsense." but then I read he quit the Tour himself I just got confused. Why in the world would Fränk do this? They had no hopes for anything, other than a stage win. And Fränk himself should know his time has passed and he just doesn't have the power to win a mountain stage.

Just completely baffled.

This seems like some legalized PED's, only because it's not barred by the UCI. However, because he voluntarily quit the tour, it makes me wonder if he was using it to cover up an illegal PED he was using?

God this sport is confusing at times.

Yep, tour will be decided today or tomorrow. It's still looking good for Brad though as all he has to do is to stay with Nibali. Nibali has the ability to climb away from Brad but as long as he doesn't panic and keeps his own pace, he should be able to come back. Nibali, and Evans, will have to attack, get back the time they've lost so far, then increase the gap by a few minutes in order to win. We all know that Brad can take a minute or 2 out of both of them in the final TT on Saturday.

Brad's climbing reminds me of Big Mig Indurain. He was always being attacked in the mountains, but he just kept the pace he was comfortable with and he usually brought himself back into contention by the top.

I'm also confused as to the talk about Brad not being the strongest guy in the Sky squad. Yes, on occasion Froome has looked better than Brad, but Brad is only doing what he has to do and there is no point in doing more and attacking as he has held all the cards for pretty much the whole race. Van Garderen has looked stronger than Evans, and Rolland is stronger than Voeckler but I don't see that being pointed out.

And Fränk himself should know his time has passed and he just doesn't have the power to win a mountain stage.
Perhaps he just couldn't accept this. I fear that's when many of the best 'clean' athletes eventually fall to temptation, when they try to prolong their peak performance.

all he has to do is to stay with Nibali.

The real danger is Van den Broeck. Sure, he is nearly 5 minutes away, but if he manages to catch Wiggins off guard for a minute he may close a pact with Nibali and attack.

As a Belgian I feel bad for Van den Broeck's flat tyre during the first climbing stage. He lost at least 2 minutes there. And he's showing he is clearly one of the best climbers in the pack right now. Too bad his time trials are just not good enough to ever win a Tour de France.

I think this stage has settled it, Wiggins cannot be beaten. He's got rid of Evans (well, his team did) and he and Froome chased down every one of Nibali's attacks. I can't see him losing time in the next couple of days, and he still has the Time Trial. Great win for Voekler too, he's having a good tour.

I've been rather disappointed with this tour... no real drama on the climbs... only once in the Alps did someone appear to crack Wiggins... Froome went with them then smartly went back to Wiggins.

An in form mountain-climbing A.Schleck or Contador (as much as I don't like him) would have made this tour far more exciting... maybe it was more a case of some ill-timed crash (either actual or delayed because of) or mechanical that took crucial time outta of some of the leading contenders.

Also I believe the TT was in the wrong place, should've been after the Alps, encourage attacks on the mountains before the TT creates the time gaps... or closes them.

And I think that is the Tour won. Great ride from Froome and Wiggins to go out alone, dropping all their rivals and putting more time into them. Froome is definitely a future winner, he deserves his second place, and Wiggins should be very thankful for his help.

The Prologue should have been shorter... no sense in eliminating half the field with a single stage. If you only have a 10 second gap rather than a 5 minute gap, an attack seems much more appealing on the first day of climbing...

Froome vs Van Garderen next year anyone?

I agree with this, BMC should put Van Ganderen as the lead next year, that is if he stays with the team. Sky should let Froome go for the yellow jersey next year after all the help he personally has given to wiggins in this years tour. Wiggins said he would help Froome try to win in his interview, even without the help of Wiggins I think Froome could still win next year.

Next Year... hmmmm

Contador back with 'something to prove'... A.Schleck back still in early prime at 27... Froome showed he could... So did Van Garderen... Gesink anyone, had a bad start this year, Pinot @ 22yo in first tour rode well... Hesjedal... Van Der Broeck... Brajkovic... Who knows what could happen if Sagan wanted to climb the big mountains...

100 years of the Tour de France next year and I expect one hell of a special course... Notable hors catégorie peaks I expect to be involved next year include the Col du Tourmalet (as always), Luz Ardiden, col d'Aubisque, maybe even the climb to the ski resort of Hautacam, in the Pyrennes, which should be first mountains tackled next year. Then Alpes could most likely include Mont Ventoux, Col du Galibier, Col Agnel and Alpe d'Huez will be a certainty. Maybe an uphill ITT...

With 3 stages starting on Corsica and not looking too stressing, I expect some huge mountain stages... Late October is normally when they release the full course... (So wish I could design a route...)

The Manx missile strikes again! Amazing stuff from Cav, to sprint from a long way out, overtake the break on the way past and beat Sagan and co by 5 bike lengths shows he is the fastest man in the world.
Edit: this shows the gap beautifully

e6207e7d.jpg

Last edited:
That was vintage Cav yesterday. He was stronger than everyone else. More powerful than everyone else, and he wanted it more than everyone else and he came from miles back. He went past Sanchez & Roache that quickly that Sanchez was shocked into not pedalling!

I'm not in the know to much about Cycling, but how can Mark Cavendish never win the Tour if he's the best?

I'm not in the know to much about Cycling, but how can Mark Cavendish never win the Tour if he's the best?

There are a lot of factors. It's not just the rider being good that gets him a win. They need a good team & team mates, good physicians, strategy, being free from injury, luck, diplomacy and a whole host of other things to win a tour.

You can't just be the fastest to win a tour, you need a combinations of things.

Cav is the fastest over the last 200 metres of a stage, but he's not the best overall. I'll try and explain.

Cav wins stages, but it is entirely possible to win a tour without winning a stage as long as you consistantly finish near the front.

The Grand Tours (TdF, Vuelta d'Espania & The Giro d'Italia) are stage races of 20 stages and the guy with the lowest overall time is the winner, and a Grand Tour will never be won by a sprinter. *

Example:

Stage 1 is a flat stage. Cav wins the sprint at the end ahead of all the other sprinters. Everyone finishes together and the stage takes 2 hours. As the bunch finishes together, everyone gets the same time of 2 hours. (The tour always starts with a mini TT called the Prologue in order to get time gaps between all the riders, but we'll ignore that in this example.) So, Cav leads overall as he crossed the line first, but everyone has the same time of exactly 2 hours.

Stage 2 has a huuuuge great big mountain at the end. The bunch all stay together, but because some are better at climbing than others, it splits up with the climbers at the front, and the sprinters at the back. The first guy, a climber, crosses the line in a time of 2 hours. The field trail in, all getting different times, until the sprinters group at the back cross the line in 2 and a half hours. The guy who wins this mountain stage, has a cumulative time of 4 hours. Cav, who finished half an hour behind him, has a time of 4 and a half hours. That's half an hour behind, and he cannot get that back.

He can't get that back as the stage that the sprinters win generally finish with the field altogether.

The only types of cyclist that can win a Grand Tour and TTers who can climb, or a climber who can TT. Obviously, if it's a mountainous route, the climbers have a better chance. The TdF, favours a TTer as it had 2 long TTs and not that many mountains.

The only races Sprinters can win are one-off races as long as the bunch stays together.

Also, cycling is very much a team sport. If we take team Sky as an example. There are 9 guys in the team, and 8 of them are there to give all their energy in getting the team leader, Brad, to the end of the stage. They'll ride in front of him, giving him slipstream, so he is expending less energy than someone riding in front. The team will have a plan and riders will ride specific parts of the stage. If you've watched any stages, you'll notice that Brad always has the same guys left at the end (Froome, Porte and Boassen-Hagen.) The other guys, will have done their work earlier in the stage. A guy riding on his own will have a much harder time.

* There are 3 main types of rider in the Grand Tours. Sprinters, Climbers, Time Trialists.

Sprinters are the fastest guys on 2 (human powered, normal bicycle) wheels but, because of the way muscles work, they can't climb or TT.

Climbers can go up mountans like goats, but can't sprint or TT.

TT'ers can go fast for a long time on their own, but can't normally climb.

Kind of like comparing Usain Bolt to Kenenisa Bekele.

Cav' is possibly the world's best finisher, but he has to be in the running near the finish to have a chance. Usually though, in the mountain stages he'll lose a lot of time to the leaders so won't be in a position to attack at the finish.

Sprinters are the fastest guys on 2 (human powered, normal bicycle) wheels but, because of the way muscles work, they can't climb or TT.
Outside of track cyclists, cause Hoy would nail Cav' on track :lol:

Thanks daan, I was under the impression that if he's able to win stages(I believe he won 8 one year?) that he should be able to ride near the front in the rest, similar to F1 if the top driver wasn't able get a win due to downforce levels or tyre grip or something, guess I was wrong.

I had been watching some of the stages, and was aware of Bradly Wiggins being 2:30ish ahead. It had just always been interesting as to why Cavendish was never in contention but would get a good few stage wins on a Tour.

daan
The Grand Tours (TdF, Vuelta d'Espania & The Giro d'Italia) are stage races of 20 stages and the guy with the lowest overall time is the winner, and a Grand Tour will never be won by a sprinter.
Eddy Merx was a sprinter of sorts, and he won the Tour. Though he was a beast, he won every jersey I believe.

Unbelievable display by Wiggins today - he said he wanted to win in style, and he most certainly has... superb :cheers:

Great work from Wiggins today, he showed why he is the team leader, Sky definitely put their money in the right man. Now let the celebrations begin...:cheers:

He's done it! Congratulations to Bradley Wiggins for an immense performance this year!

Brilliant team performance from Team Sky as well, and yet another stage win for Mark Cavendish... a great day in British sporting history!

The Manx Missile strikes again, and lead out by Tour winner Bradley Wiggins as well. Excellent Tour.

Now for the Olympic bike events.

I'm feeling a knighthood coming up... Great ride from all of team Sky, and the British riders, with every British rider in the race winning a stage! Could be one of the greatest sporting moments for Great Britain.
EDIT: did anyone see his winners speech? Really funny stuff from Brad, nice to see someone who doesn't stick to all the usual speech boring stuff.

Last edited:
Fantastic result for British cycling, hopefully this and a good show at the Olympics will help the current resurgence of pedalling in the uk. I'll be honest that I've not watched any of it but I've recorded today's coverage and will watch it tomorrow.

Back