Leaderboards - Details in OP

Yes, because there are no other cars in time trial and free practice mode.

That said, can you choose to have some cars on the track with you in practice, like R3E does? Of course, you'd have to stop times going on the online leaderboards... but it's a nice thing to choose. Feels a lot like a free practice / track day would feel like.

That said, can you choose to have some cars on the track with you in practice, like R3E does? Of course, you'd have to stop times going on the online leaderboards... but it's a nice thing to choose. Feels a lot like a free practice / track day would feel like.

Not at the moment afaik. At least I didn't find the option. But it was asked for this feature and maybe it will get implemented.
But then this mode shouldn't be valid for leaderboard times.

The way Forza handled it is you can post times in races with other cars but if you have any slipstream on the given lap it is considered dirty and 10 minutes is added to the time for purposes of posting to the leaderboards. Your first clean lap on any track will wipe any that you may have posted using slipstream as the clean lap will always be the faster lap.

I personally like this idea a lot since you can post times while racing. My friends and I used to set up lobbies where collisions were disabled and hot lap together while racing.

^ What you are asking for is a no-brainer for any developer who understands databases.
I don't know anything about programming and I'm thinking I could probably take a swing at it and make it work:sly: But seriously, SMS has to address this IMO. We can't have a generic leaderboard with the overall leader of a Lotus 49 lap at the Nurburgring using ABS, Traction Control, Stability Control etc. and no way for us to find out how we stack up against other users who run the car with factory options only.

We need sort options and a couple of standard groupings.

Filtering and grouping is very simple in terms of database programming. I do it all the time and it would indeed be a nice feature. The only requirements would be that the data exist and the database have the proper indexing so it can pull the desired data quickly.

In the example above I would think that using ASM he probably would not get to the top or at least not stay there very long. I have yet to see a car that a good driver would not be faster without ASM

The way Forza handled it is you can post times in races with other cars but if you have any slipstream on the given lap it is considered dirty and 10 minutes is added to the time for purposes of posting to the leaderboards. Your first clean lap on any track will wipe any that you may have posted using slipstream as the clean lap will always be the faster lap.

I personally like this idea a lot since you can post times while racing. My friends and I used to set up lobbies where collisions were disabled and hot lap together while racing.

Right, I dont like the idea of slipstream invalidating the lap like it does in forza. It makes racing series a bit annoying because if I qualify 5th and am in a battle the whole race my only "clean" lap will be the pace lap and that screws with the sector times. So when I come through the first sector up 18.354 seconds I have to remember to my best lap if that's fast or slow. Not bad in a 3 lap race but in an hour race its a bit annoying. But that also points to other downfalls in forza lap time and scoring implementation.

I would like to see some sort of local leaderboard though just so I don't have to test and tune in hot lap mode to have a ghost of my own that I can chase. Especially if it's raining or something vs perfect conditions

Yeah I forgot about that split time thing. It can be confusing if you pay attention to it during a race.

Still I would rather have that than not be able to post a time while racing.

Random thought i had this evening. Is there a Career mode leaderboard? For example, if I was to complete several seasons in the same class... would every time i come back around to a track, is there a fastest lap stat? Be it set by me or the AI?

Doesn't anyone read?

Andy Tudor - "So on PC there are per-track, per-class, and per-car leaderboards. PS4 on the other hand has per-track, per-class leaderboards instead. All lap times have to be done in Time Trial mode which is done under clear afternoon weather conditions. This is so that everyone is on an even playing field and you can’t use Quick Race mode to get a faster time by drafting someone in front. As for what can invalidate a lap, in Time Trial mode it would be simply cutting the track. In other game modes it would be any yellow flag situation, or anything that results in a black flag or time/lap/pit penalty."

Doesn't anyone read?

Andy Tudor - "So on PC there are per-track, per-class, and per-car leaderboards. PS4 on the other hand has per-track, per-class leaderboards instead. All lap times have to be done in Time Trial mode which is done under clear afternoon weather conditions. This is so that everyone is on an even playing field and you can’t use Quick Race mode to get a faster time by drafting someone in front. As for what can invalidate a lap, in Time Trial mode it would be simply cutting the track. In other game modes it would be any yellow flag situation, or anything that results in a black flag or time/lap/pit penalty."
I added this to the OP.👍

Better than nothing. I don't understand the limitations, but at least there's like 10 or so categories, so it's way better than the feared F1 only records.

Gives us a lot of stuff to do. I remember how much time i spent on GT Prologue and the hotlaps... great things in the future for Pcars in this regard.

On the Forza leaderboards you will see that the top times in most classes are using no assists at all until you get to the higher classes and then you will see TCS enabled on a lot of them but not all.

But most annoyingly Forza leaderboard does not show what view the user had, if the user had the braking line on or used 'normal' steering, as opposed to 'sim steering'.

But most annoyingly Forza leaderboard does not show what view the user had, if the user had the braking line on or used 'normal' steering, as opposed to 'sim steering'.

I don't really think any of that needs to be there anyway but if it were that would be ok.

Better than nothing. I don't understand the limitations, but at least there's like 10 or so categories, so it's way better than the feared F1 only records.

Gives us a lot of stuff to do. I remember how much time i spent on GT Prologue and the hotlaps... great things in the future for Pcars in this regard.

There is a limit on the number of leaderboards allowed on consoles. Doing it by class means they are not limited to how much car content can be added. For example, 200 lb limit means no more than 200 cars could be added. This was explained to me on twitter by Pete Morrish from SMS. Although he admits its not an area he worked on so its the reasoning as far as he is aware. ;)

I don't really think any of that needs to be there anyway but if it were that would be ok.
I think it should, having the line on allows you to be way more consistent and sim steering is a lot harder than normal. so it would be nice to have a true zero assists board.

I think it should, having the line on allows you to be way more consistent and sim steering is a lot harder than normal. so it would be nice to have a true zero assists board.

If you see my last post, it may not be possible to add in too many filters for console. But PC is another matter entirely. The more options to filter the better imo. Then they are there as a choice and people can filter any leaderboard using their own preferences and aim to improve solely on those if they choose to.

Well in my experience having the driving line on generally makes you slower unless you just don't know the track.
Sim steering is always my preference but in FM4 after the update to fix the 900 degree issues there was a problem with the sim steering option and it was recommended that fanatec users not use that setting. As far as driving I could not tell much if any difference but in cases where the car started to drift and needed to be counter steered the sim setting did not work properly. It seemed to depend on what sen setting you used just how much of a problem it was. At 270 it was fine but at 600 it was bad. I can't remember the various settings I tried but 270 was the only one I found that seemed to counter steer properly with sim steering enabled.

Back