Leak Re-Confirms Project Scorpio Will Be 4.5x More Powerful Than Xbox One

facepalm_o_1845743.jpg

We're not even close to done this console lifecycle. How is a regular Xbox One supposed to handle that much of a load? How are multiplatform games going to work now? Why are we expected to buy new consoles so soon after the 8th Generation launched? Why is console gaming turning into PC gaming? Does it have cupholders?

My main concern is if developers will be let off the leash to completely maximise the full power of the Scorpio and MS will begin a gradual phase out of OG Xbox One support.

Last edited:
We're not even close to done this console lifecycle.

It's certainly controversial. Made even more so, at least in my opinion, by the fact neither this or the PS4 Pro are truly unique.

How is a regular Xbox One supposed to handle that much of a load?

Improved hardware and a redesigned chassis, for starters.

How are multiplatform games going to work now?

The same way they do now.

Why are we expected to buy new consoles so soon after the 8th Generation launched?

The likely answer is we're to blame for this. No business worth their revenue makes a decision such as this without knowing that it'll be even remotely profitable. It's certainly a gamble, but we've provided that know-how by criticizing both consoles lack of power in comparison to a PC when released.

A machine needs games and Microsoft doesn't have a lot of exclusives. Forza , Gears or Halo aren't going to save it. Their decisions have been very worrying lately. All vague stuff and cancellation of exclusives which leaves me to think the Scorpio could even not see the daylight.

Touting numbers again, with 11 months to go before launch E3 should have some visual evidence of games. I still want to know why the hell did they cancel Scalebound? The only new IP I was looking forward to out of MS camp of rinse and repeat with varying results 3 Forza games in 3 years, two GoW games and two Halo games...I don't really see them being bastions of trying new things in the least. I remember Ori and the Blind forest released during the drought of 2015 but that's about it and we get our hopes of something different along the lines of free roaming, 4 player co-op wild dragon battling fun dashed and then replaced with more of the Halo/Gears/Forza trifecta.

Here's hoping Black Desert Online lands on steam one of these days.

I am glad its so much more powerful, the current gen released with way too little power IMO. They were more affordable but didn't last and needed refreshes. This console should bring things back to a more classic life cycle. The rise of VR has been a big reason for much of this U-turn because it needs serious specs to be good.

MS like to sell Scorpio as a current gen upgrade but what it really is is a new generation console and this will give it longevity way beyond the PS Pro. Also it will benefit from supporting 3 generations of backwards compatibility and a UHD drive.

I can see game development be handled in much the same way as overlapping PS3/360 and PS4/XB1 titles, GTAV for example. That will be how different the games will look on a normal One over 'Scorpio Mode'.

View attachment 623097

We're not even close to done this console lifecycle. How is a regular Xbox One supposed to handle that much of a load? How are multiplatform games going to work now? Why are we expected to buy new consoles so soon after the 8th Generation launched? Why is console gaming turning into PC gaming? Does it have cupholders?

It'll handle the load like how a GTX 650 Ti handles a load relative to a 1080.

That is to say it'll handle things fine, albeit at significantly reduced settings. Fortunately 4K and/or 60FPS will account for the vast majority of that reduction.

There are very few gaming experiences that could be made for Scorpio that fundamentally couldn't work on XB1 with just a bit of visual nerfing. And considering where we are at with graphics today, even "nerfed" visuals can still look great. Hell, most games these days could've been made for PS3/360 with slightly worse graphics... the only reason why they don't is because people are migrating to the new consoles, and because developing ports for those old systems is too difficult to be worthwhile (PS3 especially).

Last edited:
My main concern is if developers will be let off the leash to completely maximise the full power of the Scorpio and MS will begin a gradual phase out of OG Xbox One support.

I am glad its so much more powerful, the current gen released with way too little power IMO. They were more affordable but didn't last and needed refreshes. This console should bring things back to a more classic life cycle. The rise of VR has been a big reason for much of this U-turn because it needs serious specs to be good.

MS like to sell Scorpio as a current gen upgrade but what it really is is a new generation console and this will give it longevity way beyond the PS Pro. Also it will benefit from supporting 3 generations of backwards compatibility and a UHD drive.

I can see game development be handled in much the same way as overlapping PS3/360 and PS4/XB1 titles, GTAV for example. That will be how different the games will look on a normal One over 'Scorpio Mode'.

Either it will play Xbone games at 4K or close to 4K resolution or they may just call it a new gen console and start making games exclusively for it and therefore basically kill the Xbone. More likely it is just a 4K Xbone console. GTAV was a re-release, Skyrim or other remaster games were sold again with the upgrades. Devs need to be paid or will charge for it

Either it will play Xbone games at 4K or close to 4K resolution or they may just call it a new gen console and start making games exclusively for it and therefore basically kill the Xbone. More likely it is just a 4K Xbone console. GTAV was a re-release, Skyrim or other remaster games were sold again with the upgrades. Devs need to be paid or will charge for it

I find it a bad decision to go with the latter, as in kill off the Xbone and start developing games for it only. The PS4 Pro is able to play PS4 games fine, with or without a PS4 Pro-ready patch. Though I have heard of slightly worse performance with games that have no Pro patch.

With play anywhere, is there a reason to get an xbox one anymore ? I saw some people claiming they could build a 450 usd pc that would be more powerful than a ps4 pro so you could probably build something stronger or as strong as a scorpio. And you get psnow with it and all the good stuff you have on pc, like free mulitplayer and the lots.

With play anywhere, is there a reason to get an xbox one anymore ? I saw some people claiming they could build a 450 usd pc that would be more powerful than a ps4 pro so you could probably build something stronger or as strong as a scorpio. And you get psnow with it and all the good stuff you have on pc, like free mulitplayer and the lots.

Some people like a unified architecture where- wait this has been discussed a million times before.

It only seems more powerful from the GPU side but that isn't the whole story, PS4 pro has problems running every game at 60 fps due to the CPU. The reason the Pro has the same CPU is the prevent problems arising from different architecture is they change so I'm guessing but the Scorpio will more than likely have the same jaguar based CPU, if it doesn't then problems will arise with being compatible with current Xbox software. So lets just be reserved for the time being 6tFlops isn't far off from 4.2 and if both sport that CPU then it's going to be Scorpio having to use less tricks to reach 4K, but be sure there will be tricks employed simply because even PC with a GTX 1080 can't reasonably do 4K @60fps. I have a feeling that shooting for absurd detail is a waste of time.

It only seems more powerful from the GPU side but that isn't the whole story, PS4 pro has problems running every game at 60 fps due to the CPU. The reason the Pro has the same CPU is the prevent problems arising from different architecture is they change so I'm guessing but the Scorpio will more than likely have the same jaguar based CPU, if it doesn't then problems will arise with being compatible with current Xbox software. So lets just be reserved for the time being 6tFlops isn't far off from 4.2 and if both sport that CPU then it's going to be Scorpio having to use less tricks to reach 4K, but be sure there will be tricks employed simply because even PC with a GTX 1080 can't reasonably do 4K @60fps. I have a feeling that shooting for absurd detail is a waste of time.

The chatter going around seems to suggest the Scorpio does not use Jaguar but one of AMD's newer architectures. As long as they are all X86 the ability to run the old games should be as straight forward as running an old PC game on a newer CPU. Maybe some of the new SOC will contain legacy Jaguar like elements.

Completely misleading title. 4.5 times more powerful? You do know a consoles power isn't solely based on the GPU right?

Completely misleading title. 4.5 times more powerful? You do know a consoles power isn't solely based on the GPU right?

Well, let's look at this critically.

Project Scorpio's GPU—which both the whitepaper and Microsoft's original focal point specifically reference—operates at a theoretical peak of over 6 TFlops, which, would you look at that, is over 4.5x more than the original 1.31 Xbox One figure.

Oh, and the memory that's shared between it and the CPU? Also increased by 4.5x that of the original. So I can definitely see how two figures that are specifically targeted would come across as misleading when, you know, the entire point is pushing higher visual fidelity.

Well, let's look at this critically.

Project Scorpio's GPU—which both the whitepaper and Microsoft's original focal point specifically reference—operates at a theoretical peak of over 6 TFlops, which, would you look at that, is over 4.5x more than the original 1.31 Xbox One figure.

Oh, and the memory that's shared between it and the CPU? Also increased by 4.5x that of the original. So I can definitely see how two figures that are specifically targeted would come across as misleading when, you know, the entire point is pushing higher visual fidelity.

Well you can keep believing that, but the fact is, CPU is a crucial part of running games. A consoles, or a PC's power is not measured solely by its GPU or RAM. I really shouldn't even have to say that but that's the problem when you try to spin it as being solely about visual fidelity, you ignore the facts.

Back