LEGO 2K Drive

• Thread starter Famine
  • 89 comments
Reading some other previews it does seem like there is a heavy push of the MTX. Either have them and make the game free-to-play, or ditch them and charge full price. Not both. I'm out on this one.

Couldn't agree more. This game seems to want to become the definition of 'predatory'. Can guarantee that you'll be able to buy access to various brick types you'd have to otherwise unlock as well.

I don't get the thinking, the concept is a slam dunk and doesn't need the predatory MTX, they would make more money on either of your options, doing it this way is a sure fire way to put people completely off it.
Yep, $70 and micro transactions? That completely sours me on the game. Won't even give this consideration...

EDIT: Having looked at the game play it's not really my sort of thing anyway but the rant on the purchase price and MTX stands though. Any game that pushes that I won't consider. I almost did not but GT7 but thank you the MTX in that became a non-issue.

Last edited:
Looks fun but I'm going to wait and see how the MTX is incorporated before I decide whether or not to buy it

I'm releasing a racing game soon called "Enoughwiththemultipleversions Racing"

There'll be 3 version at launch.

Richmans/influencers edition:
Which will be the ultimate edition with everything unlocked, we'll send it to you for free/possibly pay you to say good things about it.

Benefits edition:
Like the ultimate edition but you have to pay something/whatever/in your own time (in installments if you want when you get your gyro) & we hand out free in-game stuff every 2 weeks, you don't even have to play it because you know, why bother, it's free.

Working man's edition:
Unlike the the 2x previous edition seen above this version will cost £80 with 1 car/1 track & you'll have to play the game 8/10hrs a day 5/6 days a week to unlock a new car/track & if you don't log in to play it we'll take a random item away (which can be re-earned once you've put the hrs back in)

Let us know which version you'll be pre-ordering.

Jokey rant aside, this is something my boy would like, I'll wait till it's on sale/gwg/gp/birthday etc.

Work irl to keep your real car from getting repo'd

Work in a game to keep your virtual car from getting repo'd

Brilliant XD

Last edited:
this is something my boy would like, I'll wait till it's on sale/gwg/gp/birthday etc.

kjb
Looks fun but I'm going to wait and see how the MTX is incorporated before I decide whether or not to buy it
This sums it up for me. Will wait until the inevitable complete edition and stick it in my wishlist until it goes on sale. Worked out well for Hotwheels - free base game (PS+), then half price upgrade.

I can't say I've been so excited for a racer in years considering the talent they have involved! They got some ex midway folk (my favourite game of all time in Hydro Thunder, San Francisco Rush, H2Overdrive (that last one as specular interactive)) doing the game so I at least know it's gonna control sublimely, and the creating your own vehicle aspect....OHHH BABY I haven't been this excited since Redout II

Last edited:
This sums it up for me. Will wait until the inevitable complete edition and stick it in my wishlist until it goes on sale. Worked out well for Hotwheels - free base game (PS+), then half price upgrade.
My 2 boys just got access to hotwheels via gamepass.

My 2 boys just got access to hotwheels via gamepass.
My kid is only 4 so couldn't play himself, but loved picking out a car for me to drive (always managed to pick the slowest ones) and pointing out where the fire (boost) came from. Excellent commentator at what position we are in at any given moment as well.

Looks great to me but it'll live or die on two things: how the inevitable microtransactions are done and how good the building is. If I can make copies of actual Lego sets I'll be very tempted!

i cannot wait for this game - genuiely, especially knowing the talent involved...ex San Francisco Rush and HYdro THunder/H2Overdrive devs are making this game, so itll mostly feel like a classic arcade racer at heart which is WONDERFUL and something ive missed for so long! and everything ive seen so far looks fun as hell, Bring it on!

WELL some news regarding this game arrived fairly non-chalantly yesterday

The game will have a battlepass system - but they are doing it right unlike a certain other toy related game did (hotwheels unleashed) by having no FOMO (fear of missing out) timelimits ever...plus with this news post here from gematsu https://www.gematsu.com/2023/05/lego-2k-drive-drive-pass-detailed

This link confirms to us two things;

• Season one will have an unspecified Dodge and Nissan car, most likely from the speed champions line
• The map expansion will be free to everyone, not just to those buying a DLC

Who the hell managed this under the thumb of 2K of all places 🤣

Last edited:
Probably Fast and Furious cars considering Fast X releases the same day as the game.
But the first drivepass doesn't start until June which will be a little bit after the game releases..so I'm not entirely sure on that, and both brands do have a non F&F based speed champions car too!

....Also yes I'm going all in
187ec62691f29-screenshotUrl.png

Last edited:
This is the discussion thread for an article on GTPlanet:

LEGO 2K Drive’s Physics Engine is Surprisingly Complex

Danish building block-based racing game LEGO 2K Drive is heading to consoles and PC this week, launching on May 19. As an all-new title from a developer — Visual Concepts — and publisher not normally known for racing titles we were more than a little curious how the title would play...

Nice article! A real boost for me that they're been involved in Hydro Thunder.

(Lego is no longer Danish, bought by a German company)

Not according to Lego.

Anyways, the more I read about this game the more I'm interested, I haven't really paid it any attention in the build up but it has a lot of promise to actually be quite enjoyable. Much like Hot Wheels was.

It'd be great to get some info on how deep the microtransaction rabbit hole goes. I know it's a massive red flag for many people.
As 2K's PR have sent over the Literally Everything Edition (don't recall the name... probably Awesome something), it'll be difficult for me to answer, but I know they've already stated a few things about it - and while it's got four season passes with free and premium tiers, it doesn't seem particularly oppressive and they don't have time limits:
Each Drive Pass Season will have 100 levels to play through, where you can earn new Free Rewards as you level-up, giving you the chance to earn a range of new in-game content including new drivers, stickers, flairs, sounds, and more!

Purchase the Premium versions of each Season to earn even more rewards as you play through each Season or Purchase the Year 1 Drive Pass* to get the Premium versions of Seasons 1-4. Season rewards include Vehicles, Drivers, Stickers, Flairs, Sounds, Brick Packs, and more! The Year 1 Drive Pass also includes the Awesome Pizza Vehicle and 550 Coins you can use in Unkie's Emporium.
SEASONS DON'T HAVE TIME LIMITS

LEGO 2K Drive Seasons don't have time limits, so you can pick up and play each Season at your own pace. If you have been playing through the Free version of a Season and decide to upgrade to the Premium Drive Pass, you will instantly unlock all the Premium rewards you have earned based on your current level!
Which is a step up on Hot Wheels Unleashed...

Last edited:
I'm playing this now for a review hopefully tomorrow; anything anyone wants to know?
The first time I read about this game, I thought it would be a cash cow for LEGO since the Forza Expansion was so popular. Does this feel like its own game, or is it very similar to the Forza expansion?

Is it possible to replicate something like a Chaparral 2J with the car building feature?

What I didn't liked from previus trailers and gameplay videos was the ridiculous fast pace switches between road/water/air modes. Barelly seconds from one type of racing to another. I guess this is made for children with a lifespan of an average TikTok video.

Back